Simple slice, muffin or cake recipe?

soo_lo, Jun 24, 12:46am
Can anyone recommend a simple slice, muffin or cake recipe for school lunches!

sarahb5, Jun 24, 1:15am
I just made Butterscotch Square which is a recipe from my daughter's intermediate school cookery lessons:

Melt 125g of butter.Stir in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup of sultanas or chopped dates (I prefer dates) and 3/4 cup brown sugar.Stir in a beaten egg and 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence.Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour and 2 tsps of baking powder.Spread into a greased 20cm square tin and baked at 180* for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown and firm.

Easy peasy!Also check out the ginger slice thread - the Takaka oaty ginger crunch is yummy and easy!

kinna54, Jun 24, 1:47am
Type in search or go back a few days for the biscuit cake recipe: in fact it is on here again under the apricot dream slice thread.
You can make a lot of different varieties from this basic recipe, and I get 3 or more slices out of 1 can of condensed milk. (just freeze itin small containers once you open the can, and use as required).
I use budget biccies at around $1.20 per pkt, they are fine for that recipe.
Another simple and quick one, especially if it's getting close to pay day, and not much in the baking supplies cupboard is: easy peasy peanut butter cookies. Jo Seagar recipe.

bambi58, Jun 24, 4:56am
Easy as Fruit Loaf.
2 cups fruit1 cup water
120gm butter1tsp Van. essc.
Put these into saucepan and bring to biol, simmer for about 5 mins. Cool silghtly.
Add 2 cups flour, 1tsp baking soda, mix well, put into 1 large or 2 small loaf tins - I do 2 small, goes further lol!
Bake approx 40 min, until skewer comes away clean when pricked in the middle.
Keeps really well, if it gets a chance! Vary the flavor by using almond essc, and a few slithered almonds, lemon essc, and candied peel. Add these with the fruit. I did cherry essc, and glace cherries, yum!