Mid winter Christmas - entree ideas

sarahb5, Jun 25, 1:38am
We're having roast lamb and all the trimmings for the main and I'm thinking of doing a roasted capsicum, pumpkin & tomato soup but that might be a bit adventurous for some of the kids who are coming so would you do an alternative soup or something completely different!Needs to be something I can prepare ahead of time or that doesn't use the oven because we're eating at lunch time and the oven will be in use most of the morning cooking the lamb and veggies.

(And yes I've looked through the Christmas entree threads .)

tinawal, Jun 25, 1:47am
im not doing entrees, be a big enough feed with main and pudding! Ive got 19 pple coming to mine!

petal1955, Jun 25, 1:48am
Use your slow cooker for your soup.

kiwitrish, Jun 25, 2:16am
Delia Smith's Stilton Soup with Parmesan Croutons is one of the nicest soups.I do it every Christmas for starters.

sarahb5, Jun 25, 2:38am
Sold it - never used it - microwave works fine for soup

sarahb5, Jun 25, 3:05am
Sounds yum to me but I don't think the flavours would appeal to the fussy kids who are coming to be honest - needs to be something more "basic" I think - might just get a couple of cans of Watties soup instead!

duckmoon, Jun 25, 3:19am
If they kids won't like it, open them a can of watties tomato soup

rainrain1, Jun 25, 3:23am
use your slow cooker for your mulled wine

sarahb5, Jun 25, 3:33am
See above - and not making mulled wine anyway

sarahb5, Jun 25, 3:34am
Actually I think probably at least one of the adults won't like it either!

bedazzledjewels, Jun 25, 4:01am
I think you're on the right track with a soup but suggest not a creamy one - maybe a clear, very tasty one. One restaurant we sometimes go to serves a small amount of soup in little coffee cups. It's always a lovely start to a winter meal.

shop-a-holic, Jun 25, 4:14am
Serving suggestion for your soup.Both grown ups and not-so-grown-ups squeel over these:

To serve: Buy Hellers Chorizo mini sausages. Take a knife and slice through the centre of the sausage starting 1/5th of the way down. Turn the sausage 90 degrees and repeat. The sausage is quartered; but still in tact at the top. Dry fry chorizo in a hot pan, turning when they brown. They will curl whilst cooking into 4 legged-octapus.
Serve ontop of the Hot Soup (2-3) per bowl - and sprinkle with fresh Italian Parsley.

sarahb5, Jun 25, 5:56am
Yes the soup I plan on making isn't a creamy one

sarahb5, Jun 25, 5:57am
I've never seen cocktail size chorizo - sounds good though - might see if I can find some

shop-a-holic, Jun 25, 6:04am
There's only one size from Hellers; and I consider them on the small side.Probably half the size of other brands and 25% of the price.

gaspodetwd, Jun 25, 7:52am
Smoked salmon pâté. Easy and quick, delicious and all prepared hours before you need it.

asue, Jun 25, 10:47am
We had homemade chicken soup at ours.It was real yum.Check your deli section out for a soup.Remember its only a small taste for everyone.3 people at our table weren't soup eaters anyway.

nik12, Jun 25, 3:01pm
I'd stick with you're first idea. the kids that don't want it, don't have to eat it (they have other courses or go hungry lol). sounds delicous to me!
I usually just do pumpkin (with a couple of potatos and a touch of curry powder.Love the idea of roasted capsicum and tomato. can you share the recipe please!

sarahb5, Jun 25, 8:37pm
It's a Healthy Food Guide recipe - I haven't made it before but doesn't look too tricky - their recipes are usually pretty straightforward.I think the canned tomato is the easiest option for the kids (although my boys aren't big soup fans) and will do cheesy croutons with gruyere which I know they will eat even if they don't have soup.

Thanks guys!