BRAINPOWER MUESLI FOR THE WINTER TERM

elliehen, Jul 14, 11:43pm
With children about to return to school for the winter term, here's a breakfast start to the day which, with its alkaline food basis is intended to reduce anxiety and enable calm and confident learning to occur.

BRAINPOWER MUESLI
Mix together in a large oven pan:
6-8 cups rolled oats
1-2 cups buckwheat groats
2 cups millet flakes or ground millet
2 cups oatbran
1 cup ground linseed

Bake for 30 minutes at 170*C, stirring several times.

Melt together:
About 1/2 cup honey
About 1/2 cup sunflower, soya or olive oil
Add to warm cereal and stir well.

Stir into mixture:
1-2 cups chopped almond & brazil nuts
1 cup fresh wheatgerm
1 cup coconut
1 cup sunflower/pumpkin seeds
Half cup lecithin
1-2 cups chopped dried fruit - apricots, raisins, dates, apple

Other fruit such as figs, sultanas, other nuts such as walnuts and peanuts, and other cereals such as rye flakes and bran flakes can also be used.

From 'Learning to Learn' - strategies for accelerating learning and performance boosting, authors Christine Ward B. Sc. , M. Ed. and & Jan Daley B. A. , M. Ed. , New Zealand teachers of accelerated learning.
ISBN 0-473-02212-5

rebekahj, Jul 15, 11:23am
Wow thats a big claim for a museli! lol Im going to try it!

elliehen, Jul 15, 11:47am
rebekahj, you're right! But I do know of one student flat which used to make it in bulk and just dip a cereal plate into the mix daily -they did all pass their exams ;)

For your interest, here's the authors' nutritional breakdown:
+ Groats & millet - alkali producing cereals also rich in essential minerals; alkaline foods reduce cravings
+ Wholegrain cereals maintain the immune system, calm the nerves and stimulate the brain cells
+ Linseed (flaxseed) - valuable fibre & source of essential fatty acid that heals, rejuvenates & strengthens the nerves
+ Brazil nuts - alkali producing nuts containing protective essential oils
+ Sunflower & pumpkin seeds - eat daily something that has the germ of life, the ability to grow; raw seeds have vital ingredients
+ Lecithin - great for the heart and for assisting oxygen flow to the brain
+ Low Glycaemic Index for slow release of sugars into the sytem to maintain energy over several hours

pjcat, Jul 15, 6:56pm
I believe you need to grind the flaxseed fresh each day to get the maximum benefit.

indy95, Jul 15, 8:59pm
This sounds like a very interesting idea. Goodness knows I could use some extra brainpower !

hezwez, Jul 16, 1:24am
We make this and keep it in the freezer except for one current medium sized container. Lasts a fortnight for a family of three and would last a lot less if it wasn't rationed a bit... but it's concentrated so you don't need a lot, and with fresh fruit it's extra delicious. Hazelnuts and brazil nuts are especially nice pulsed to small chunky size.

elliehen, Nov 1, 4:16pm
Now there's incontrovertible proof :)... I often sensed a good working brain behind hezwez's posts!