easy fish chowder recipe needed please

bindy34, Apr 11, 9:22am
hi, does anyone have a nice easy fish chowder recipe please

korbo, Apr 11, 6:51pm
I buy a maggi fish pie packet mix, make it and then just chuck in all sorts of fishy things. sometimes it is thick, so just water down with cream or milk. it is not the proper chowder, but for a quick meal it is fine. lots of crunchy garlic bread to go with it.
or latley we haveone of those small chippie bags to go with it. just love it... . try and see what u think.

grankate, Apr 12, 1:42am
I use maggi seafood soup as base and add fish fillet shrimps etclet sit for a few hours for the flavour to really get into the fish, Lovely served with crusty wholemeal bread rolls.

purplegoanna, Apr 12, 1:45am
yip maggi seafood soup mix for me to, i add some preboiled little potato cubes, sliced up crab sticks, diced mussels, shrimps and i add the fish last and try not to stir it to much so i dont break the fish up into shreds, try to sortof let it poach in the mixture.

allspices, Apr 12, 1:59am
Try making a roux sauce with butter and flour (About the same quantities of each- a couple of tablespoons full say) Melt butter, mix in flour and stir while cooking to a golden colour. I add a little curry powder as I find it enhances the flavour. Add milk and/or juices from seafood to creamy consistency. I use a frozen seafood marinara mix, sometimes I microwave it gently first, though that can toughen any squid pieces. Add fish pieces too. Heat gently until seafood is cooked. Yummmmmm.

kiwitrish, Apr 12, 2:06am
Best recipe I have ever used is the Jo Seagar one. Tastes so good.

stormbaby, Apr 12, 2:11am
This is one I posted a few years ago on here and its done the rounds. I use home made stock instead of the water, and I make both the stock and the chowder in bulk in my crockpot and freeze it.
1 onion, 4 small potatoes, 2 tbsp butter, 1 1/2 cups water (or stock), 310gr can smoked fish fillets, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, garlic, 2 sticks celery, 2tbsp flour, 1 cup milk, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 cup grated cheese (optional).
Chop garlic, onion, potatoes and celery. Melt butter, fry garlic and onion, add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add water (or stock) and milk, bring to the boil and simmer 2 minutes. Add potatoes and celery and cook a further 10-15 minutes till potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, add flaked fish, plus the liquid out of the can, parsley and black pepper. Season to taste.
Serve in heated bowls, sprinkle grated cheese and croutons on top.
Its yummy.
If you have this in the freezer and just buy a loaf of lovely bread on the way home from work, you've got a nice hot filling meal when you get home on a cold day in Winter.

korbo, Apr 12, 6:34pm
hi, can you explain a little more, like when do you put it in the crockpot, do you get what i mean...

goldgurl, Apr 12, 8:01pm
I make it similar to Allspice - without the curry powder though (will try that next time :)I always have fresh mussels, shrimps and surimi, onion, spring onion, garlic salt and peper LOTS of grated cheese AND Creamy mashed potato with more cream to make it a little runnier - I add whatever else I have on hand, maybe finely chopped celery, parsley, mixed vege...

it's nice to made thicker and grilled under the oven with yet more cheese, eat with garlic bread...

Everyone I know loves this... I only make it once a month or so (if that) as it's sooo rich - who are we kidding it's FATTY as heck with all the cheese, cream etc... Heartattack in a pot LMAOooooo

stormbaby, Feb 1, 3:12pm
Just prepare the vegetables, heat up your crockpot on high when you are doing so. I make the sauce stage first in a pot, up to when you add the potatoes, celery, then put it all in the crockpot, exept for the fish. Its just as easy to do on the stove, but I make large quanties and let it cook through, so like the crockpot.