Thinking about buying a breadmaker.

clivehell, Jun 3, 4:26am
Can you use ordinary flour in one.I see you can use Edmonds flour
in a breadmaker but its a bit expensive.
Also,is it worth while buying one.We have bread most days but cost-wise
whats cheaper.Making it or buying it.thanks.

magenta, Jun 3, 4:45am
I buy the cheapest high grade flour to use in my breadmaker .I have also used standard flour and there does not seem to be any difference.If you like the basic white bread its not cheaper to make your own.However if you like wholemeal bread like Ploughmans and pay over $3.50 a loaf I think it is definitely worth it.Pizza bases, bread rolls and really nice fruit bread are also cheaper to make yourself.I just use my breadmaker to knead and cook in the oven as I think you get a better loaf that way.

clivehell, Jun 3, 5:22am
Thanks very much for that magenta.a great help.

nauru, Jun 3, 7:35am
I use mine a lot to make a half & half white/wholemeal bread, also pita & panini.The good thing about homemade bread, or anything for that fact, is you know what goes into it and can ring the changes by adding what you want to a basic recipe.I have a french bread recipe I use all the time as we like the taste and texture. Like post 2, I mostly tend to use the dough setting and shape & bake the bread in my oven. I also use the cheapest high grade flour that I can find and have also used plain flourin the past too. My breadmakerhas a jam setting on it, which, as there is only 2 of us, I find is great for making small quantities of jam.

harrislucinda, Jun 3, 9:58am
ilikeuseing thedoughsettingthenbakingintheovenseems tobakebetterDontknowif worksoutcheaperbut then neverworkedit outThesmelloffreshbreadyumm i havejustmade2loavesof ciabettabreadso easy

kinna54, Jun 3, 10:32am
I use mine all the time: and I always buy pams high grade flour:
I make lots of varieties, and for a basic bread use a french loaf and setting*check this on the different brands it is a setting which takes about 3 1/2 hrs, the bread cooked on this setting and recipe has a crusty outer, fluffy inner.)
I also use the dough option a lot and make a wonderful foccacia bread, and my machinehas settings for up to a 1 kg loaf.
Try to buy a brandthat is not Aussie or international measurements for recipes, as they need to be converted to the NZ measures (cup measurements etc are quite different, if recipes are in grams it's ok tho) or otherwisethe bread will be like lead.

wron, Jun 3, 12:53pm
I thought Aussie cups etc were the same as ours but their Tablespoons are bigger!

evorotorua, Jun 3, 6:55pm
For those of you who just use the breadmaker for the dough cycles and then bake in an oven, try this. I put double quantity of everything in my machine, put it through the dough cycle and then take it out and transfer it to two bread pans. Leave to rise till double and bake in the oven for 30 mins at 180C - 200C. This way you get two loaves and they are easier to use as you would a normal loaf. Bear in mind that this will put extra wear and tear on your machine but I made ten loaves a week this way for three years before my machine died and I bought a new one. I have a panasonic.

clivehell, Jun 3, 7:57pm
thanks so far for your relpies people.I was looking at a Panasonic breadmaker.Dearer but hopefully better.

korbo, Jun 3, 8:06pm
poster#5, could you share your recpe for ciabatta bread please.

kiwitrish, Jun 3, 8:59pm
Thanks for that.Will give it a try.

rrrg, Jun 3, 9:15pm
Panasonic are the best and I use either high grade flour or wheatmeal

family007, Jun 3, 9:29pm
I have a Tefal breadmaker, never again! Although it makes good bread it was nothing like the old Cascade breadmaker I got from the warehouse on 2000! I wore that one out! It made the best bread out! Never a failure. The Tefal, I'd say a 60% success rate. I have used the jam function on it and that works really good. I'm making hot cross buns at the moment, by hand. I'd go Panasonic too.

jethrocat, Jun 3, 9:36pm
while making bread may appear dearer, the bread is heavier and denser, so sits in the belly longer and basically feeds you better. I suggest if you make the large loaf, eat less slices or effectively you're increasing the qty of food you eat. Notice how shop bread shrinks in the toaster while homemade doesn't shrink. I also use a Panasonic and only make the wholemeal loaves (recipe 4 / setting large) never fails.

ruby19, Jun 4, 1:41am
I have had my sunbeam breadmaker for 14 yrs now, and it would be one of the appliances I would replace if / when it dies. I use it alot for foccocia bread, the machine makes the dough, but Love the garlic & herb loaf it makes. It is great toasted next day should you be able to leave it that long :-) also should add I too only buy the cheapest high grade flour, and it seems to be fine.
Agree with costing, probably not cheaper with ordinary slced bread, but definately alot better quality.
Kids love calzones which i make the dough in the machine, great for lunch boxes.