Zucchini choclate cake

rj5, Mar 2, 6:44am
This is just the loveliest cake to make, as zucchini's are plentiful at this time of year, and no one knows what is really in it!

malcovy, Mar 2, 9:52am
Does the zucchini need to be squeezed!

elliehen, Mar 2, 10:18am
No, just grated and used as is.

malcovy, Mar 2, 10:47pm
What size tin loofy!

245sam, Mar 2, 11:12pm
malcovy, obviously I'm not loofy, but my suggestion re the tin size would be that you'd need nothing less than the 25cm tin as advised for the recipe at #3.
In fact, without checking, I think the recipe at #3 is the same as Alison Holst's recipe and for that, I actually use a very deep sponge/Swiss roll tin i.e. approximately 30cm x 20cm and about 5cm deep - from memory it doesn't fill the tin right to the top but an 'ordinary' sponge/Swiss roll tin is way too shallow.

Hope that helps.:-))

malcovy, Mar 2, 11:21pm
Yes it does thanks.I'm making both today and hoping to freeze some of the cakes or pieces of them (well hidden, mind you partner won't think of other freezer:-) )

rj5, Mar 3, 1:48am
well I did squeeze some of the juice out of the zucchini first time I made it, then this time I didn't and i found t my cake was a bit doughy

kiwitel, Mar 3, 5:57am
Made this today . and it's a huge hit in our household. Not a sickly, rich chocolatey taste- just right- and lovely and moist. Will definitely be making again as we have so many courgettes.

nannahall1, Mar 20, 2:10am
has anyone got the recipe for a zucchhinin choclate cake i think it makes quite a large cake thanks

loofy, Mar 20, 3:29am
Courgette Cake

500 gms grated courgettes, with 1 cup oil, 1½ cups sugar. Sift 2½ cups flour, 1½ ts b. power, 1 ts soda, 1½ ts cinnamon, 1 ts nutmeg, 1 ts salt 1 cup chopped nuts, 3 eggs. Mix all in food processor bake 1 ¼ hrs 180o. Leave in tin until almost cold. Ice with sour cream and icing sugar.

cappucino1, Mar 20, 5:17am
Yummy Chocolate Zucchini Cake

For a 25cm square cake:
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup yoghurt (any type)
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups (350g) grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 170degC. Line bottom and sides of a 25cm square pan or roasting pan with two crosswise strips of baking paper.

Beat softened butter with sugars until light and creamy, in a mixer or food processor. Mix in eggs, vanilla, yoghurt and 1/2 cup of the measured flour.

Mix in grated zucchini and remaining flour sifted with other dry ingredients. Pour into the pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until centre feels firm and a skewer comes out clean. Refrigerate, or freeze wrapped pieces.