A spicy tomato chutney recipe please

ace441, Apr 22, 5:12am
My Mum has just started making jams and chutneys after a 30 year break and she asked if I would find her a recipe for a spicy tomato chutney (she says she needs a bit of 'hot' in her life !) I googled and gave her one which she made but she said she is so disappointed with it - it's not even hot and quite tasteless according to her. Does anyone have a tried and true SPICY tomato chutney/relish they would care to share! Thanks in advance.

pickles7, Apr 22, 8:16am

korbo, Apr 22, 7:53pm
Just add some chilli paste, or chop up a chilli or two. did that last year. beautiful

dibble35, Apr 22, 8:29pm
I made the tom relish out of the Edmonds cook book, it said to add 3! chillis, i added 3 good teaspoons of the chiili paste you get in the veg section at the supermarket, it turned out spicy. and i love it, nearly finished off 3 jars in 5-6 weeks and thats me eating it on my own

vomo2, Apr 22, 10:33pm
Edmonds cook book has a great recipe but I cook it with spiced vinegar instead of malt. Also add a clove of garlic. Its yum!

elliehen, Apr 22, 10:50pm
.and double the number of dried chillis.

makespacenow, Apr 22, 10:56pm
Green Tomato Chutney
2.3kg green tomatoes
450g onions
1 tablespoon salt
225 g sultanas
225g raisins
28g root chinger
4 chillies (I use habaneros as I like hot stuff)
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
12 cloves of garlic
570 ml malt vinegar
450 demerara sugar/or pectin stock if not using sugar (search recipes I posted the pectin stock recipe few weeks ago)

wash and finely chop the tomatoes, peel and finely chop the onions. Place the two tegether in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour. Add raisins and sultanas. Bruise the ginger and chillies and put in other spices (you can use muslim if you prefer), add the vinegar and sugar/pectin stock. Leave for another hour (or overnight). Then Bring to the boil, then switch down and simmer stirring frequently. When you reach the desired thickness pour into hot sterilised jars.

makespacenow, Apr 22, 11:00pm
Ripe Tomato Chutney.
1.4kg of ripe tomatoes
675g cooking apples
450g of onions
1 tablespoon salt (celery salt is best)
855 malt vinegar (or good quality balsamic)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon mixed spice
4 cloves of garlic
170 g of soft brown sugar/pectin stock if making sugar free

skin and slice the tomatoes, peel, core and slice the apples. Peel and finely chop the onions. Put into a pan with the salt and half the vinegar and heat until soft. Add the spices stir in the sugar/add pectin stock/powder and the rest of the vinegar. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until thick, stirring occassionally. Pot into clean, hot, sterilized jars and seal whilst still hot.

you can use fresh ginger and chillies.instead of the spices in powder for