4 ingredient christmas cake, help!

Page 2 / 2
bucca11, Dec 18, 12:53am
I decided to try making this cake, and it said to soak fruit in juice overnight, which I have done, but do I drain liquid off before mixing in other ingredients! I put friut into a glass bowl and put enough juice in to cover, but I think I was meant to only put 2 cups in, so I don't know how much ended up going in, any suggestions! Tia :)

fec2003, Dec 18, 2:17am
If this was me, I would drain the liquid off, but reserve it. Mix in the dry ingredients then add the liquid a tiny bit at a time. The main reason for soaking is to plump up the fruit, so you've already done that part. You know the consistency that a cake batter ought to be, so it shouldn't be too different as an 'end result' here. Good luck! I am sure it'll be a wonderfully successful cake and one appreciated by everyone who tries it!

kay141, Dec 18, 2:21am
The original recipe does not drain the fruit, just adds the dry ingredients e.g flour, to it. There are several threads on here about this cake. Try a search.

bucca11, Dec 18, 3:01am
Thankyou! That makes perfect sense, feel silly I didn't think of trying that, lol, Merry Christmas! :)

bucca11, Dec 18, 3:03am
Thankyou! Did try a search first, but couldn't find anything helpful, even Google wasn't my friend, Merry Christmas! :)

duckmoon, Dec 18, 5:38am
But the original recipe also calls for two cups of liquid, rather than cover the fruit, probably with much much more liquid than that.

I would drain the liquid and reserve it. Then mix the other ingredients and check that the mixture isn't too dry or too wet. If too dry, then add some of the reserved liquid

zeteccortina, Dec 18, 7:09am
i have made this the last few years and have never removed the liquid and cakes always perfect.

justme27, Dec 18, 7:29am
Please could somebody post the recipe for this cake, would love to give it a try.

fec2003, Dec 18, 8:39am
As the original poster stated, she made a mistake with the quantity of juice she used, so was in a quandry as to how to remedy it. As long as she ends up with the right consistency, she'll be successful with this cake, but she does need to adjust the liquid content a little first.

Merry Christmas.

245sam, Dec 18, 8:57am
Here you are justme27 - from an earlier thread

"Posted by darlingmole

1kg dried fruit (of your choice)
2 C orange juice OR 2 C strong black coffee (soak overnight)

Next day stir in
2 C flour
4 t Baking powder
1 t spice (or your choice; mixed or cinnamon!)
Pour into a greased tin and cook @ 180 deg C for 1-1/2hrs.
Turns out moist and freezes well.
ps: somepeople like the dried fruit soaked in sherry but I think that's a blatant waste of alcohol haha!"

For variations of this recipe try a search here on this Trademe MB using 4 Ingredients Cake as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option.
:-))

bucca11, Dec 20, 1:40am
Just an update! I did what was suggested and drained off the liquid but kept it, and once I mixed in all the other ingredients, it was a bit dry so added back some of the liquid, and it has baked up beautifully! I'm very impressed as this is my first attempt at Christmas cake, and the recipe was sooo simple (except for my boo boo) Thank you very much everybody and Merry Christmas! :)