Vegetarian chocolate cake - no eggs

jac42, Nov 15, 8:41am
My daughter is having a party in a couple of weeks and I have just found out that one of her friends is vegetarian and doesn't eat eggs. She wants a chocolate fudge cake. I have a good recipe but it has 4 eggs. What can I substitute for the eggs.

245sam, Nov 15, 9:10am
jac42, maybe you'd like to try the following recipe from the Allergy N.Z. website.

ALLERGY CAKE – egg, dairy, soy and peanut-free CHOCOLATE CAKE
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
6 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp each ofbaking sodaandvanilla essence
2 cups each ofsugarandwater
½ cup cooking oil
2 tbsp vinegar

Sift the dry ingredients through twice.Add the liquids and mix well.Place the mixture in a greased 20-22cm Ø tin and bake at170ºCfor55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Variations: Make
• 36 mini muffins (bake for 10-15 minutes)
• 18 standard muffins (bake for 20 minutes)
• Mini muffins/cakes and freeze when cakes are cool.They can be taken straight from the freezer to the lunchbox.They are excellent to take to children's parties decorated with your favourite icing and suitable sprinkles i.e. hundreds and thousands, rainbow sprinkles, passionfruit, coconut threads, dinosaur lollies etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

pom-pom, Nov 15, 9:18am
Ingredients
• 1 cup unsweetened apple purée/sauce
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 3/4 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly spray or oil a 20x20cm baking dish.

Place apple purée in a medium-sized bowl. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will toughen the brownies. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for around 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is inserted.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before slicing into squares. If desired, dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.
THIS RECIPE IS ON ANOTHER THREAD COURTESY OF KIWIGOLDIE!

gardie, Nov 15, 5:23pm
This recipe is the one I make with my children at school.It comes out so chocolaty and moist and can also be made into muffins.This size makes a 7 inch tin but double it for a nice deep 9 inch cake - increasing cooking time.
The original recipe is actually made in the tin!I tend to pop it into a bowl first.

No egg chocolate fudge cake.

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powdermix all these ingredients together in a bowl
1 tsp baking sodathen make 3 hollows in them.
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa.

Into the holes:
1 tsp vanilla essence1st hole
5 tbsp oil (75ml)2nd hole
1 tbsp vinegar3rd hole

Over the top of everything, pour 1 cup of just boiled water, mix well then pop into tin and into preheated oven.30 mins at 180 degrees.

jac42, Nov 16, 8:35am
Thank you people. I have printed off the recipes and am now taste testing them.