Desserts for Christmas

Page 1 / 2
leelee075, Nov 13, 10:19am
Usually we have dinner at my parents but for a change this year we are all heading to my sisters, so I thought i would like to make something different other than the normal, trifle, pav, xmas pudding.

So could you please share some ideas, oh and recipes would be great

chatsmom, Nov 13, 7:43pm
What about Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake! That's what I'm making for Xmas.

sarahb5, Nov 13, 10:18pm
We had tiramisu last year but I adapted the recipe and made it in my Tupperware gel ring - was great

sleyle, Nov 14, 2:48am
Oh sarah, I love tiramisu and I have a gel ring - can you please tell me how you did it and give me the recipe if you can!Thanks.

nana_gee, Nov 14, 3:12am
Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake. Made this for a birthday dinner and it was a huge hit.

rainrain1, Nov 14, 4:49am
I might try this one, it's nice and easy which is what I like when it's my turn to do Xmas Dinner.

Chocolate Ripple Cake
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=ctEvG7Iox3U

kinna54, Nov 14, 6:16am
Ambrosia, (easy and great for the kids,) toffee pop cheesecake,(posting) the good old tupperware choc boysenberry layer trifle, strawbery or fruit custard tarts.

Caramel and Chocolate Cheesecake
200g toffee pop biscuits
40gms butter (melted)
250gm pkt cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
3 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup thickened cream (whipped)
#1 lightly grease the sides and line the base of a 22cm springform pan with baking paper or foil.
Place biscuits in a plastic bag and break into pieces with a rolling pin. *biscuits should not be totally crushed*. Reserve 1/4 cup biscuits.
Place remaining biscuits into a bowl and add butter
Mix and press into base of the prepared pan. Chill.
#2 Using electric beaters beat cream cheese and sugar until softened and combined.
Add sour cream and beat till smooth. Fold gelatine through whipped cream and then fold through cream cheese mixture.
#3 Fold in reserved biscuits. Spread mix over the chilled biscuit base. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hrs until set, or overnight if possible.
Serve with chocolate sauce, cream and chocolate curls.
This delicious cheesecake just melts in your mouth. divine.

seniorbones, Nov 14, 7:25am
Thats was my thought too plus her home-made icecream is devine too. Made it last year but decided to taste first - it didnt get out the door it stayed in the freezer for us to eat!

leelee075, Nov 14, 7:39am
This one might be a winner

sarahb5, Nov 14, 7:52am
I found a recipe online and just layered it around the gel ring like you would in a pie dish - the advantage is that it's easily transportable, turns out nicely on a plate and that the recipe is too much for the gel ring so you have to eat the extra bits!

sleyle, Nov 14, 8:38am
Can you please post a link to the recipe online!

sleyle, Nov 14, 7:59pm
Bump for Sarah

purplegoanna, Nov 14, 8:13pm
i made tiramisu one year, it was a great caffine hit after all the food and wine for lunch.may do it again this year too.

sarahb5, Nov 14, 8:28pm
If I can remember which one it was - doubtful but I'll try

sarahb5, Nov 14, 8:31pm
Possibly it was this one - seems familiar and easy too!

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/Recipe/590%3Fname%3Dtiramisu

I dusted it with grated chocolate instead of cocoa

craig04, Nov 14, 9:00pm
Well I'm making a pumpkin pie this year with maple cream - Yum!

crystalmoon, Nov 14, 9:57pm
I made an easy tiramisu,use a sponge from supermarket,if you can get a sqaure one in the plastic container with a lid then you have the perfect container to take it in and can just throw away,Although for xmas you may want a nicer bowl.
Ingredients,sponge,cream,pottl-
e of choc mousse mix(in chiller section by youghurts)instant coffee, liqueur of choice,baileys,frangelica,whis-
key,what ever you like.To assemble,get bowl of choice,cut sponge into 3-4 layers depending how deep your bowl is.Place sponge on bottom,I make up 2tbsp instant coffee with 1/4 c hot water,3 tbsp sugar stir to dissolve and top up with 1/2 c cream,drizzle over sponge to moisten but not soaking,drizzle liqueur of choice.Whip up mousse as per instructions and place layer of mousse on sponge,then layer whip cream,you can also add crumbled flake,or smashed crunchie bar at this stage. repeat layers till your bowl is fill.Amounts depend on size of bowl and sponge,makes a nice size bowl.Any left over sponge can be frozen for another day.Enjoy.Good to make ahead and just leave in fridge till ready to serve.

sleyle, Nov 14, 10:05pm
Thanks Sarah, looks nice and easy and making me hungry now!

sarahb5, Nov 14, 11:23pm
Pretty sure that would've been why I used that recipe!I don't recall using brandy though - I think I probably used Kahlua

kinna54, Nov 15, 8:40am
Have also posted top berry trifle treats in another thread. Ooh who needs anything else. after reading all these recipes I'm just gonna eat dessert!

kellybme, Nov 15, 5:21pm
Can you post the recipe for the Strawberry Cloud cake, thanks

nana_gee, Nov 21, 10:33pm
Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake
Base:
150g plain sweet biscuits (made into fine crumbs)
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g butter, melted
Mix altogether and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin lined with baking paper.Refrigerate while preparing base.

Filling:
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in a clean dry bowl of an electric beater. Beat on high for 6-8 mins until mixture is very thick and fluffy and the sugar is dissolved. You should not feel any gritty sugar after this time. If you do beat for longer.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours.
Will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. Will keep in airtight container in freezer for up to a month.

willyow, Nov 21, 11:07pm
Make a simple custard-based vanilla bean ice cream - you'll never want to eat any other type of icecream ever again - great for Xmas too.
130g sugar
30g glucose
200 ml cream
650 ml blue top milk
5 egg yokes.

Beat the egg yokes into the sugar.
Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds and add the seeds and the shell to the egg yokes, sugar, glucose, cream and milk and stir constantly over a medium heat until you have a custard. Remove from heat and allow to cook - cover with plastic and leave in the fridge overnight. This is called 'aging' and is the key to good icecream making.

Put through a sieve to removed any lumps and vanilla bean shell bits, and put through your ice cream machine ( or place in the freezer and beat every hour).

Hide it from teenagers.

The glucose is the secret to its success. It softens the ice cream at freezing point and stops it coming out of the freezer like concrete. Glucose is available in supermarkets under the Healtheries brand.

You can also add a pinch of salt to the custard while making it to improve flavour - optional as a lot of people want to keep their salt intake down.

helen65018, Nov 22, 8:58am
Test it out first as we didn't like it.

sherrie, Nov 22, 9:33am
I make casarta which is really easy and everyone loves it!2Litres of icecream soften this and add a little almond essence mix then place into stainless steel bowl.With the ice cream you are lining the inside of the bowl with the ice cream so you have a well in the middle for the filling to go into.I do this in stages in the freezer with a spoon and a cup of hot water until the hole is the size i need.1Bottle of cream beat then add what ever filling you wish.I use flaked almonds, chopped pineapple lumps, dried mango, dried pawpaw, and chocolate chips.Fold all the above into the cream.Then put it into the whole you have made with the ice cream.Smooth over the top then cover with tinfoil until needed.Make the day before so you know that it is frozen.Run bowl under hot water without the water getting inside the bowl.Turn out onto a plate flat side down.Now it is ready to be cut.It is really yummy!