Desserts for friendly waistlines...

gojojo2, Apr 11, 10:47am
x1
OK son and daughter-in-law are being fantastic with their weight management. Any ideas for a desserts that I can make (or pass onto them) for our weekly dinner?

alebix, Apr 11, 10:57am
Fresh fruit salad
fruit crumble but serve with natural yoghurt instead of cream.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 12:13pm
I know I am going to get shot down in flames for this response but can I suggest you rethink your ideas on food altogether. Fruit is very good but for weight management, it is still high in sugars and therefore of only limited use. I have decided that there are only about one or 2 genuine desserts on the planet that may fit the parameters for weight loss and be considered non-toxic.

Instead of having a two course meal consisting of main and dessert have a 2 course meal consisting of an entree and dessert when treating yourselves. Why not look about for delicious, savoury and less problematical entree dishes instead or, do what the Italians do and serve an antipasta platter before your main.

Just a thought.

chesty1, Apr 11, 10:56pm
What are the two genuine desserts please?

bedazzledjewels, Apr 11, 11:21pm
Would be interested too Buzzy.

Or instead of dessert, serve some really dark chocolate with tea/coffee. Even the fat conscious people accept that dark chocolate has lots going for it.

madison15, Apr 12, 12:14am
Jelly fluff
Get a weight watches jelly and small light fruit yoghurt pottle
Instructions

Make jelly up according to packet directions. When half set add yoghurt and beat heaps. Will double in size. Poor into serving dishes and refrigerate until set.

buzzy110, Apr 12, 12:18am
Well one of the two actually a square or two of really dark chocolate made with coconut butter and sugar as a sweetener rather than palm oil and any of the sugar alcohols or fructose.

I reckon the other one is the 'icecream my juicer makes. I pre-free chunks of banana and berries of some description or chunks of feijoa. Put these frozen chunks into a bowl, (not too much mind), mix with chunks of avocado then put through my masticating juicer. Another variation is to add a small amount of nut butter to the mix.

The resulting ice cream is flavoursome, albiet a bit not very sweet. You can carb-it-up by pouring a tablespoon or two of the new pear syrup that the apple and pear board (I think) or maybe Enza, have put out with a hint of maple syrup or even pure maple syrup.

Once again only very small quantities of this 'ice cream' should be eaten.

elliehen, Apr 12, 12:42am
If you have no objection to artificial sweetener, make up a WW jelly with only one cup of water and then when it's slightly cooled, stir in a cup of plain unsweetend yoghurt and allow to set. Drizzle with a little fruit that complements the jelly flavour.

elliehen, Apr 12, 12:52am
APRICOT ORANGE CREMES
1/2 cup flaked almonds (30g)
425 can unsweetened apricot halves
3/4 cup ricotta cheese (150g)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 Tblsp orange juice
Orange Sauce:
1 tsp cornflour
2 Tblsp orange juice
1 tsp sugar
Toast almonds on an oven tray in moderate oven for 5 minutes. Drain apricots well, reserve half cup juice. Beat cheese, sugar, rind and juice together in bowl until well-combined. Fill apricot halves with creamy cheese mixture, serve topped with sauce and almonds.
Orange Sauce: Combine blended cornflour and orange juice in saucepan, stir in sugar and reserved apricot juice, stir constantly over heat until sauce boils and thickens (or microwave on high for about 1minute).

Serves 4, not suitable to freeze, 154 cals per serve (654 kilojoules)

elliehen, Apr 12, 1:07am
gojojo2, for cooler days, the American fruit cobbler is a useful recipe. The 'six mounds' in the recipe can be changed to nine or twelve for smaller portions - still quite a generous serving.
FRUIT COBBLER
Mix:
1 cup flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Rub in 4 Tblsp butter or margarine
Add 1 egg whisked with 1/4 cup milk
Put six mounds on top of hot fruit, unsweetened, in baking pan
Bake 25 mins at 200*C
Dust with icing sugar

This is excellent with any stewed fruit at all, especially a can of heated apricots or peaches when you don't have fresh fruit.

elliehen, Apr 12, 2:28am
buzzy110, no shooting, no flames, no place for blood on the MBs - have just pinged you softly with three pink fluffies ;)

However, do you still not see that this sort of 'personal agenda' response to intelligent, thinking posters comes across as extremely rude? It's akin to a person going to the library and asking for a particular book and having the librarian say, 'You don't want to read books like that! Think again - read this book!

By all means attract interested people to threads you start by whatever means you choose, but these rambling exhortations simply gum up a thread in a very unhelpful way. IF ONLY you'd just answered the question and posted your two good little dessert ideas...

buzzy110, Apr 12, 3:10am
I'm so over you. I'll post what I like, when I like.

If poster #1 wants to ignore me and my sound, practical and healthy advice, she can.

In that case I am sure your toxic advice to include aspartame will be much appreciated and your lovely pink fluffies make you very proud.

Poster #1. Would you like me to explain what aspartame does once ingested?

st_allie, Apr 12, 3:25am
fruit sorbet and a few strawberries/raspberries. . would make a nice dessert too. .

greerg, Apr 13, 7:59am
Wildberry jelly - just wildberry juice set with gelatine or arrowroot id prefer with some thick yoghurt is really nice and not too fattening,

uli, Apr 14, 8:43am
Not poster #1 - but interested - as I never use aspartame - but friends do ...

hezwez, Apr 14, 9:20am
That's somewhat disingenuous of you uli, since it's clear in post #1314 of http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=654 that you don't want/need to know anything else about aspartame. Perhaps you could share that with your friends?

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:29am
its called "working in tandem"

hezwez, Apr 14, 9:33am
Absolutely! But to save uli the trouble, she could post her friends the link she gave in post #23 of http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=38297
Of course, that was waaay back in October and the mind gets a bit woolly... . .

lyl_guy, Apr 14, 9:39am
Oh dear. Snapped!

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:44am
That sounds very refreshing greerg

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:45am
a bit like the hair.

natalie9, Apr 14, 9:54am
Friends?

suie1, Apr 14, 9:56am
What is a friendly waistline? One that doesn't growl? LOL

hezwez, Jan 31, 7:40am
One that two arms can reach around for a hug, and touch.