If you cook your corned beef in gingerale....

kelzzz, May 8, 6:55am
do you still add an onion? And do you still cook your carrots in there as well??

245sam, May 8, 7:06am
Yes, depending on the size of the onion(s) I sometimes add 2 onions, but I always halve the onion(s) and stud each onion half with 3 whole cloves.
I don't usually cook the carrots in with the meat but IMO there is really no reason not to do so, gingerale or otherwise - it's just that we don't always have carrots with hot silverside.:-))

kelzzz, May 9, 6:55am
do you still add an onion! And do you still cook your carrots in there as well!

245sam, May 9, 7:06am
Yes, depending on the size of the onion(s) I sometimes add 2 onions, but I always halve the onion(s) and stud each onion half with 3 whole cloves.
I don't usually cook the carrots in with the meat but IMO there is really no reason not to do so, gingerale or otherwise - it's just that we don't always have carrots with hot silverside.:-))

glenleigh, May 10, 8:55am
I also still use the liquid to make my mustard sauce.It is yummy.

245sam, May 10, 9:02am
Me too, I agree that the ginger ale cooking liquid makes a mustard sauce that is just as delicious as any other cooking liquid option - it's not sweet nor significantly gingery.:-))

anne1955, May 10, 9:13am
Yum never heard of that idea Thanks :)

dbab, May 10, 9:30pm
If you don't have gingerale, add a tsp of minced ginger,a tsp minced garlic, 1/4 cup orange juice (or a quartered orange), 4-5 cloves, a dash of vinegar, and water to cover the corned beef.
I did this yesterday in the crockpot on low for about 8 1/2 hours. It was so moist and tender.

purplegoanna, May 10, 9:46pm
i dont like it in gingerale...tastes wierd..much prefer the vinegar and brown sugar in water way...

sarahj1, May 11, 12:45am
I tried it last night after hearing the chef on National RAdio recommending it - ginger ale, ginger, orange, lemon, bay leaf but the result was pretty 'meh'- no significant difference in taste to the way I usually do it (onion studded with cloves, bayleaf, dollop of golden syrup in the water) Kids said they'd rather have the ginger ale to drink with their corned beef!

245sam, May 11, 9:02am
Me too, I agree that the ginger ale cooking liquid makes a mustard sauce that is just as delicious as any other cooking liquid option - it's not sweet nor significantly gingery.:-))

dbab, May 11, 9:30pm
If you don't have gingerale, add a tsp of minced ginger,a tsp minced garlic, 1/4 cup orange juice (or a quartered orange), 4-5 cloves, a dash of vinegar, and water to cover the corned beef.
I did this yesterday in the crockpot on low for about 8 1/2 hours. It was so moist and tender.

purplegoanna, May 11, 9:46pm
i dont like it in gingerale.tastes wierd.much prefer the vinegar and brown sugar in water way.

sarahj1, May 12, 12:45am
I tried it last night after hearing the chef on National RAdio recommending it - ginger ale, ginger, orange, lemon, bay leaf but the result was pretty 'meh'- no significant difference in taste to the way I usually do it (onion studded with cloves, bayleaf, dollop of golden syrup in the water) Kids said they'd rather have the ginger ale to drink with their corned beef!