add;
2 cans of tomatoes
1/3 cup of molasses
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp of my chili jam
Pour into a slow cooker along with the soaked beans
3 cups of water
I have turned the slow cooker onto low, and will leave it on all night.

pickles7, Apr 15, 1:09pm
yummmm, they are tasting very nice .

pickles7, Apr 15, 8:40pm
All I have had to add to this recipe is;
3/4 of a cup of brown sugar.
Although cooked, it needs to thicken up a bit more, I will give it a total of 10 hours in the slow cooker.
Well pleased with the recipe.

pickles7, Apr 15, 9:48pm
lol My Husband has just stuck his nose in the baked beans pot. What!!!10 hours cooking and all you have is 4 cans of beans. yep I could have bought 4 cans of cheap beans [ more sauce than beans] for the same cost. BUT then he tasted them, won him over with the first taste. I will measure the volume soon. I will look out for the beans to come on special, and will bottle a few jars. After all it costs no more to cook three lots , than to cook the one.

pickles7, Apr 15, 11:24pm
5 cans of beans, in all.
The beans cost me $3.32.

elliehen, Apr 16, 1:26am
Sounds like the USA favourite Boston Baked Beans, pickles.

"Boston baked beans use a sauce made from pork and molasses, and are so popular the city has been nicknamed 'Beantown'. Maine and Quebec-style beans often use maple syrup."

pickles7, Apr 16, 1:35am
yep, they are a take on that recipe....elliehen.... nice as. Got to look for something else to do. I need to stop making vinegar, lol. mind you if I had to buy my vinegar I would not be making so much sauce or pickles. Nothing is as cheap to make, as it is today, that's my motto. The way prices are going.

ashanti, Apr 17, 3:24am
Thanks for sharing that nice recipe pickles, I am looking forward to my next visit to a town witha bin inn.

pickles7, Apr 21, 10:09pm
My teenage Grandson loved these, nice as Nana.I tested the kids on what they could taste, they did well. Didn't get molasses, thought there was golden syrup in them. I do think it important to teach the kids these sorts of things. I was in the supermarket the other day and the checkout operator asked me, What are these??? they are "cucumbers" I said in shock. "Oh really" was the reply. The person who was supervising her was not amused.

darlingmole, Apr 22, 3:04am
where should I look for navy beans pickles?

pickles7, Apr 22, 3:45am
I got my beans from an "Asian spice outlet" I won't use those next time I will look for "kidney beans". I had been looking in three shops for kidney beans. I have now found some in Bin Inn. I am going to cook the beans in my pressure cooker next time as well. Husband wasn't too good about the slow cooker going all night as we slept. I will post back here, as I make these again. Cost wise probably no cheaper than buying cans ready made, just way tastier.

pickles7, Jun 5, 8:11pm
yummy more beans.
500 grams of them have been soaking all night. These beans are smaller and cost less than the other lot. I only picked out 17 beans that did not look nice.
I am just going to start off with the first post recipe
and add 150 grams of tomato paste, to give even a richer flavour.
500 grams of navy beans, soaked over night in water

BAKED BEAN RECIPE
lightly fry;
4 rashers of bacon chopped
2 large onions chopped
add;
2 cans of tomatoes
1/3 cup of molasses
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp of my chili jam
Pour into a slow cooker along with the soaked beans
3 cups of water
3/4 cup of brown sugar
150 grams of tomato paste
All going into the slow cooker now.

pickles7, Jun 5, 8:35pm
Just turned on the cooker to Auto at, 8-30am.

gerry64, Jun 5, 10:38pm
heading to supermarket this morning - will give these a try -cheers pickles

pickles7, Jun 6, 7:59am
....gerry 64....You won't regret it. Simply delicious.
Not got that much longer to go. I should have put the cooker onto low. [Auto must not be that hot.] Last time I cooked them all night, they were perfect. The beans are cooked, they just need to thicken up a bit. I will put up a pic soon.

lindylambchops1, Jun 6, 8:51am
Beanz Meanz Fartz!Just saying!

lindylambchops1, Jun 6, 8:52am
Pickles7 can you pls send me 1 tsp of your chili jam?asap thanks!

pickles7, Jun 6, 10:34am
lol....lindylambchops1....it is way hot. any chili sauce would do. We like "hot" here. My chili jam was made with, habanero chili, 1 tsp goes a long way.

lindylambchops1, Jun 7, 1:07am
Awesome!You rock!

pickles7, Jun 7, 7:59am
.gerry 64.You won't regret it. Simply delicious.
Not got that much longer to go. I should have put the cooker onto low. [Auto must not be that hot.] Last time I cooked them all night, they were perfect. The beans are cooked, they just need to thicken up a bit. I will put up a pic soon.

lindylambchops1, Jun 7, 8:52am
Pickles7 can you pls send me 1 tsp of your chili jam!asap thanks!

pickles7, Jun 7, 10:34am
lol.lindylambchops1.it is way hot. any chili sauce would do. We like "hot" here. My chili jam was made with, habanero chili, 1 tsp goes a long way.

pickles7, Apr 15, 8:40pm
All I have had to add to this recipe is;
3/4 of a cup of brown sugar.
Although cooked, it needs to thicken up a bit more, I will give it a total of 10 hours in the slow cooker,
I did put the cooker on high before going to bed.
Well pleased with the recipe.

pickles7, Apr 15, 9:48pm
lol My Husband has just stuck his nose in the baked beans pot. What!10 hours cooking and all you have is 4 cans of beans. yep I could have bought 4 cans of cheap beans [ more sauce than beans] for the same cost. BUT then he tasted them, won him over with the first taste. I will measure the volume soon. I will look out for the beans to come on special, and will bottle a few jars. After all it costs no more to cook three lots , than to cook the one.

elliehen, Apr 16, 1:26am
Sounds like the USA favourite Boston Baked Beans, pickles.

"Boston baked beans use a sauce made from pork and molasses, and are so popular the city has been nicknamed 'Beantown'. Maine and Quebec-style beans often use maple syrup."