Filthy oven...

Page 1 / 2
suziedd, Mar 22, 8:40am
...in a rental house.Suggestions for cleaning gratefully accepted.Prefer to use the old fashioned method which involves ammonia and elbow grease.Can someone give instructions please? It is very dirty,baked on crud.

petal1955, Mar 22, 8:43am
Arm your self with a good pair of rubber gloves and use heaps of Ezy Off in the red can

jessie981, Mar 22, 8:55am
Isn'tit a bowl of ammonia left overnight then wiped out the next day?

kinna54, Mar 22, 9:43am
Ammonia will cut the grease, but be careful. Good old caustic soda if it's still around. Wear good strong rubber gloves. Make sure the room is well ventilated if using either. Lots of steelos to scrub with.

smileeah, Mar 22, 9:43am
I was curious because I have a bottle of ammonia here and a filthy oven lol. I found this on the internet just now http://www.ehow.com/way_5315374_cleaning-oven-ammonia.html
Looks easy enough but ammonia stinks really badly so I'm gonna find a mask to wear when I finally get around to doing the job.

pods, Mar 23, 7:01am
The best oven cleaner I have used is Oven Power. It comes with a large plastic bag that you put the racks into with some of the liquid and leave outside overnight, pour the rest of the stuff in oven and wipe around and leave for a while then wipe it out. Was the easiest cleaner I have used and dosn't have a strong smell. I used to get it from Countdown but now I think you can only get it from New World. Failing that do what I did and bought a self cleaner,then you don't need anything.

kuaka, Mar 23, 7:18am
pods - buying a self cleaning oven is probably not an option for #1 as they have stated it's a rental

greerg, Mar 23, 7:49am
The ammonia approach from Smileeah's link does work - I've used it, but if the oven is really dirty it takes an awful lot of elbow grease and more than one go.And it's pretty eyewatering having your head in the oven when it's full of ammonia.Once was enough for me - I'm a confirmed can user now but mostly I just wipe the oven when I cook because I really hate oven cleaning.

suziedd, Mar 23, 8:40am
.in a rental house.Suggestions for cleaning gratefully accepted.Prefer to use the old fashioned method which involves ammonia and elbow grease.Can someone give instructions please! It is very dirty,baked on crud.

jessie981, Mar 23, 8:55am
Isn'tit a bowl of ammonia left overnight then wiped out the next day!

earthangel4, Mar 23, 9:35am
yep same here,I wipe it out every time I use it.

kinna54, Mar 23, 9:43am
Ammonia will cut the grease, but be careful. Good old caustic soda if it's still around. Wear good strong rubber gloves. Make sure the room is well ventilated if using either. Lots of steelos to scrub with.

smileeah, Mar 23, 9:43am
I was curious because I have a bottle of ammonia here and a filthy oven lol. I found this on the internet just now http://www.ehow.com/way_5315374_cleaning-oven-ammonia.html
Looks easy enough but ammonia stinks really badly so I'm gonna find a mask to wear when I finally get around to doing the job.

skippie1, Mar 23, 9:48am
was give n the recipe of, 1 cup each, washing powder, ammonia and hot water, do NOT sniff or inhale, place in oven for 12 hrs, carefully flush contents down toilet and you should be able to just wipe the oven clean. Was an elderly lady who gave me the recipe and it works a treat. Leave you trays in oven as well.

kuaka, Mar 23, 10:04am
skippie - probably wouldn't want to flush that mix down the loo if you're on septic tank would you?or is ammonia safe in septics?I can't remember as it's so long since I've used ammonia, and haven't had a septic tank for a while now.Just a thought though.

lilyfield, Mar 23, 8:11pm
that only works on a mildly dirty oven.
For more heavy neglect-- use a paint scraper- plus stainless steel scrubber after lots of caustic ovencleaner soaking..Repeat everyday until satisfied

there is a very god commercial one at gilmores. if you know anyone that owns a restaurant- ask to buy a liter of them. Brilliant stuff. I have invested in 5 liters 10 years ago and still have lots.

camper18, Mar 23, 9:08pm
Amway the best one I have ever used. Bit smelly but well worth it for the sparkly result.

pods, Mar 24, 7:01am
The best oven cleaner I have used is Oven Power. It comes with a large plastic bag that you put the racks into with some of the liquid and leave outside overnight, pour the rest of the stuff in oven and wipe around and leave for a while then wipe it out. Was the easiest cleaner I have used and dosn't have a strong smell. I used to get it from Countdown but now I think you can only get it from New World. Failing that do what I did and bought a self cleaner,then you don't need anything.

kuaka, Mar 24, 7:18am
pods - buying a self cleaning oven is probably not an option for #1 as they have stated it's a rental

greerg, Mar 24, 7:49am
The ammonia approach from Smileeah's link does work - I've used it, but if the oven is really dirty it takes an awful lot of elbow grease and more than one go.And it's pretty eyewatering having your head in the oven when it's full of ammonia.Once was enough for me - I'm a confirmed can user now but mostly I just wipe the oven when I cook because I really hate oven cleaning.

earthangel4, Mar 24, 9:35am
yep same here,I wipe it out every time I use it.

kuaka, Mar 24, 10:04am
skippie - probably wouldn't want to flush that mix down the loo if you're on septic tank would you!or is ammonia safe in septics!I can't remember as it's so long since I've used ammonia, and haven't had a septic tank for a while now.Just a thought though.

lilyfield, Mar 24, 8:11pm
that only works on a mildly dirty oven.
For more heavy neglect-- use a paint scraper- plus stainless steel scrubber after lots of caustic ovencleaner soaking.Repeat everyday until satisfied

there is a very god commercial one at gilmores. if you know anyone that owns a restaurant- ask to buy a liter of them. Brilliant stuff. I have invested in 5 liters 10 years ago and still have lots.

suziedd, Mar 24, 10:50pm
I thank you all for your messages.Now,I get to work.

crystalmoon, Mar 24, 11:50pm
lillyfeild what the name of the commercial one do you know,please.