Gladwrap in oven?

wasgonna, Jul 28, 3:48am
Watched a cooking programme recently where the chef was going to blind-bake a base. She spread Gladwrap/Klingwrap(?) over the top, filled with beans, then folded the wrap ends back over the top like a little parcel. Now, is this a special type of Gladwrap or can the normal be used like this? Can't imagine plastic lasting in oven but I'm just a mere male.

And yes I know it can be used in microwave.

babytears, Jul 28, 3:51am
You can use baking paper like that... I'm really not so sure about gladwrap

babytears, Jul 28, 3:53am
Oh and by the way, never cook in plastic, be it gladwrap, containers etc... it's cancer causing when you heat plastic and seeps into your food... controversial, but enough evidence to suggest it could be true.

dbab, Jul 28, 4:37am
wasgonna
I saw that too, but I've been a bit scared to have a go. Can't remeber what programme it was on though.

wasgonna, Jul 28, 5:11am
Rachel Allen Bakes.

georgie36, Jul 28, 6:09am
I saw that programme and did the glad wrap in oven and it all melted and I had rice thru my pastry!! not a happy girl.

wasgonna, Jul 28, 6:33am
That's what I thought would happen so must be a different product.

buzzy110, Jul 28, 10:46pm
I'm with babytears on this subject. If I had a microwave and actually ate food from it, I wouldn't use plastic. Hardly even use plastic for storing cold food in. There are plenty of things you can use. Before baking paper I just used to use ordinary old greaseproof. It would get a bit burnt around the edges but kept its integrity long enough for a blind bake.

wasgonna, Jul 29, 3:48am
Watched a cooking programme recently where the chef was going to blind-bake a base. She spread Gladwrap/Klingwrap(!) over the top, filled with beans, then folded the wrap ends back over the top like a little parcel. Now, is this a special type of Gladwrap or can the normal be used like this! Can't imagine plastic lasting in oven but I'm just a mere male.

And yes I know it can be used in microwave.

babytears, Jul 29, 3:51am
You can use baking paper like that. I'm really not so sure about gladwrap

babytears, Jul 29, 3:53am
Oh and by the way, never cook in plastic, be it gladwrap, containers etc. it's cancer causing when you heat plastic and seeps into your food. controversial, but enough evidence to suggest it could be true.

dbab, Jul 29, 4:37am
wasgonna
I saw that too, but I've been a bit scared to have a go. Can't remeber what programme it was on though.

wasgonna, Jul 29, 5:11am
Rachel Allen Bakes.

georgie36, Jul 29, 6:09am
I saw that programme and did the glad wrap in oven and it all melted and I had rice thru my pastry! not a happy girl.

wasgonna, Jul 29, 6:33am
That's what I thought would happen so must be a different product.

buzzy110, Jul 29, 10:46pm
I'm with babytears on this subject. If I had a microwave and actually ate food from it, I wouldn't use plastic. Hardly even use plastic for storing cold food in. There are plenty of things you can use. Before baking paper I just used to use ordinary old greaseproof. It would get a bit burnt around the edges but kept its integrity long enough for a blind bake.