Oven Fries, what's the secret

Page 1 / 2
jessie981, Apr 24, 7:09am
Followed the instructions but not what I'd say yummy!

nfh1, Apr 24, 7:13am
They always seem to take ages to cook - I always have to extend the cooking time.

jills3, Apr 24, 7:24am
yes they do take ages to cook,so when I preheat the oven I put them in then.

beaker59, Apr 24, 7:55am
The secret to oven fries is to get good roasting potatoes peel them cut into wedges or chips according to taste and then dry with a teatowel coat with oil like rice bran then lay out in a roasting pan thinly and then sprinkle with salt then roast for 45min at 180deg fan bake (well thats best in my oven yours may be quicker or slower so keep an eye on them).

Some people par boil them first but I think its easier to straight bake and nearly as good.

nzl99, Apr 24, 7:59am
From frozen you mean?Leave the door open a little for the last five mins to let the steam escape and the chips to crisp up.

Either that or stop buying the low fat healthy ones. :PThey are never as nice as the beerbattered deepfried cooked in dripping type ones. ;-)

jessie981, Apr 24, 8:09am
Did the open door suggestion. Watties Super Oven Chips. Think I need to go back to your sugestion nzl99!

nfh1, Apr 24, 8:22am
I never thought of that - thanks, I will try it.

uli, Apr 24, 8:24am
Might help to post WHAT instructions you'd followed?

ellie04, Apr 24, 9:17am
I find the frozen oven chips can be a bit disappointing, but have found that Birdseye do great frozen chips. I spray a little extra light olive oil over them which seems to crisp them up a little.

mooshiesmum, Apr 24, 9:38am
Only oven fries that I find are any good are Birds Eye, especially the crinkle ones.

Preheat oven then I add the chips to cold roasting dish - cook for 15 minutes, then toss to turn then another 10 minutes then check and perhaps another 10 minutes.

Then add salt and serve. Sometimes I add either cumin seeds or dried rosemary before cooking them.

Most brands of oven fries are horrid.

dolphin9, Apr 24, 8:35pm
I find a much crispier result with fan bake, it your oven has it.But also different brands, different results

live-2-ride, Apr 24, 9:01pm
best ones i like are the signature range, lovely golden and crisp i always pop in a hot oven and a hot tray with a lil oil toss them round and then bake them and grill them

jessie981, Apr 24, 9:44pm
Only you can be negative uli!
All other posters were helpful

lindi4, Apr 25, 7:28am
I find cooking with a lid on till nearly done then lid off to crisp up

nzl99, Apr 25, 7:46am
Hmmm... OK... well... in my opinion, and it really is only my opinion, if you're buying froz chippies (I often do for my kidlets as a snack) then get the ones with a little coating of some sort.Batter, seasoned etc.Single layer on the tray only.Never any extra oil or fat.I do think a little salt helps dry them out and crisp them up though.

Other thing is, to know your oven.I don't like my current one.Is a westinghouse and should be fab... but... my last cheapie small one cooked things in a much 'better' way.This is going to sound silly, but read your oven manual.It helped me.

andrew499, Apr 25, 7:55am
my solution for cooking oven fries may not appeal to everyone as it's fairly expensive.However, i bought myself an ActiFry.i don't have a regular oven so could justify it.Also, being blind this appliance takes care of the issue of turning the chips as it stirs them all the time.Although the instructions with the machine say to add no oil, i always put in two tablspponsful as I feel the result is a lot better.
cheers

nfh1, Apr 25, 8:20am
I have never heard of an Actifry before andrew499.How interesting, I can see how useful if would be for you turning the chips as well.

andrew499, Apr 25, 8:22am
hi nfh1.The actiFry is made by tefal.There's quite a lot about them on the Tefal website as well as quite a lot of demonstrations on youtube.
Cheers

nfh1, Apr 25, 8:31am
Yes I went to have a look after your post - they look really good.If I could only find somewhere to put it in the vast cupboard full of small electrical appliances I would have one!I do not cook oven chips very often but if I did it would definitely be on the shopping list.I love gadgets.Thanks.

beagle12, Apr 25, 9:15am
I find that adding salt during the cooking crisps them up quite nicely.Otherwise they are a bit blah.

punkinthefirst, Apr 26, 3:54am
Well, I roll my homemade chips in a tablespoon of oil, put them on a sheet of baking paper in a dish in a hot oven, and bake til crispy golden, shaking them about with the paper every now and again. Sometimes I add garlic salt and/or herbs like rosemary and thyme.Yummy and all but fat-free!

litedelites, Apr 26, 5:11am
Here are my solutions:
Heat the pan you are putting the chips in
Don't crowd the pan by putting in to mach chips, this can stop them from going crisp.I sometimes add the flavoured garlic salt & herb mix.
T

waipawa, Apr 26, 6:37am
McCain make the tastiest frozen oven fries. Their wedges are seasoned with herbs and spices, and the "hot banditos" are really hot! Even their unseasoned crinklecut chips taste good to me - nice and moist while still being low in fat. I don't like Birdseye much - they taste a bit weird to me and are too dry for my liking. Watties cheese medallions are a yummy alternative to chips.

uli, Apr 26, 6:39am
What is negative about wanting to know what instructions you followed for goodness sakes? How do you expect people to help when no-one knows what you actually did?
Gee whizz!

aktow, Apr 26, 2:10pm
i use my easy Cook machine and the chips turn out crispy and brown,they only take about 15 minutes, i have a chinese takeawaystraight across the road and i find my home baked fries better than the deep fried chips from the takeaway.