Potato and leek soup

tekeflapz, Mar 21, 5:24am
recipe please..something you swear by...the bestest tasting soup ever! lol

i have never tasted it before and i have only just started using leeks in a mussel dish and dont know what else i could do with them besides soup

Thanks all :O)

jessie981, Mar 21, 6:13am
Heaps of recipes in the lefthand message board. Under keyboard put potato etc then in date posted put anytime. Enjoy.

tekeflapz, Mar 22, 5:24am
recipe please.something you swear by.the bestest tasting soup ever! lol

i have never tasted it before and i have only just started using leeks in a mussel dish and dont know what else i could do with them besides soup

Thanks all :O)

liamjosh, Mar 23, 5:29am
You need...

1 onion
2 leeks (or one is the budget is tight)
3 big potatoes
chicken/vege stock
salt, pepper, chilli powder

What to do...

Chop up the onion and saute it in butter. This does not mean fry it! Just have the heat on low and push the onion round the pan occasionally so it doesn’t burn. When it turns translucent you’re ready to add the leeks. Add the chopped lea

ks (make sure you wash them first because mud can run down through the layers – and squint lots... leeks are from the onion family and will make you cry!), and saute them as well. They will sweat and reduce so keep going till they’re all floppy. Add more butter if needed.

Once that’s done, transfer the onion and leeks to a big pot. Add the chopped potato and one litre of water with 3tsps of chicken or vege stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Pop the lid on and sit back while those potatoes soften.

After about 30 minutes it’ll be ready to blend. Add cream or yoghurt if you want to thicken it, and salt, pepper and chilli to taste.

liamjosh, Mar 23, 5:30am
Leek and Potato Soup
2 large leeks 
3 tablespoon light olive oil 
2 large or 3 medium potatoes 
1 teaspoon ground coriander 
1/2 teaspoon dried dill tips 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 
1 litre chicken stock 
1/2 cup dry white wine 
1/4 cup cream 
salt
Slice the leeks crosswise using both the white and green parts. Be sure you wash out any soil from the top section. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the leeks until they are soft. Add the peeled, diced potatoes and the herbs and toss for three or four minutes then add the stock and wine, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste.
At this stage you can decide if you want to leave your soup chunky or if you are going to put it in a blender and smooth it out. I blend mine using one of those handheld wand like blender gadgets. Ideal for this sort of job.
Reheat, adding the cream (optional but good). At this stage you can also add a few chunks of hot-smoked salmon or a few fresh oysters or some prawns - something that doesn't require a lot of further cooking. But it's equally good as is.
This cries out for chunks of hot French bread with a crispy crust.

liamjosh, Mar 24, 5:29am
You need.

1 onion
2 leeks (or one is the budget is tight)
3 big potatoes
chicken/vege stock
salt, pepper, chilli powder

What to do.

Chop up the onion and saute it in butter. This does not mean fry it! Just have the heat on low and push the onion round the pan occasionally so it doesn’t burn. When it turns translucent you’re ready to add the leeks. Add the chopped leaks (make sure you wash them first because mud can run down through the layers – and squint lots. leeks are from the onion family and will make you cry!), and saute them as well. They will sweat and reduce so keep going till they’re all floppy. Add more butter if needed.

Once that’s done, transfer the onion and leeks to a big pot. Add the chopped potato and one litre of water with 3tsps of chicken or vege stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Pop the lid on and sit back while those potatoes soften.

After about 30 minutes it’ll be ready to blend. Add cream or yoghurt if you want to thicken it, and salt, pepper and chilli to taste.

liamjosh, Mar 24, 5:30am
Leek and Potato Soup
2 large leeks 
3 tablespoon light olive oil 
2 large or 3 medium potatoes 
1 teaspoon ground coriander 
1/2 teaspoon dried dill tips 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 
1 litre chicken stock 
1/2 cup dry white wine 
1/4 cup cream 
salt
Slice the leeks crosswise using both the white and green parts. Be sure you wash out any soil from the top section. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the leeks until they are soft. Add the peeled, diced potatoes and the herbs and toss for three or four minutes then add the stock and wine, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste.
At this stage you can decide if you want to leave your soup chunky or if you are going to put it in a blender and smooth it out. I blend mine using one of those handheld wand like blender gadgets. Ideal for this sort of job.
Reheat, adding the cream (optional but good). At this stage you can also add a few chunks of hot-smoked salmon or a few fresh oysters or some prawns - something that doesn't require a lot of further cooking. But it's equally good as is.
This cries out for chunks of hot French bread with a crispy crust.

janny3, Mar 25, 2:01pm
If you've boiled some bacon bones, you can use the cooking liquor in your leek & potato soup instead of chicken stock.That recipe is the same as above but w/ a nice hint of smokey/bacon flavour in the soup.

Muslim friends of course subbed the bacon stock for chicken stock.

janny3, Mar 26, 2:01pm
If you've boiled some bacon bones, you can use the cooking liquor in your leek & potato soup instead of chicken stock.That recipe is the same as above but w/ a nice hint of smokey/bacon flavour in the soup.

Muslim friends of course subbed the bacon stock for chicken stock.