Ideas pls for using fresh grapes

watertank1, Mar 18, 9:01pm
in baking our something of the like.... Family got given a large bag of grapes (the "real kind") and we dont like them, so wondering if there is a recipe idea for using them?? that might sweeten the taste a bit too.TIA

fifie, Mar 18, 9:19pm
I'm doing the same today lol, i'm going to try a grape slice to have with yoghurt. You could make a cake, muffins, or maybe freeze like blueberries for using later. I'm going to do this as have been given heaps and made all my jams jellies, no jars left now.

rayna1, Mar 18, 9:34pm
I have had an abundant crop of grapes, I make grape juice.
Put into a pot cover with water.Boil well, mash with the potatoe masher, put through sieve and sweeten to taste with honey, /sugar/ sucryl/ I bottle mine and seal. Then serve with half juice and half lemonade.Very popular in our family.

kiwitrish, Mar 18, 9:58pm
Friend has a vineyard and he makes a lovley grape pie.Just like apple pie but with seedless grapes.Yummy with cream.

davidt4, Mar 18, 10:07pm
This is great with halved seedless grapes.

Dacquoise

Serves 6

100g ground almonds/hazelnuts
1 level tab cornflour
4 egg whites
150g sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract or almond essence

Mix almonds & cornflour.Whisk egg whites until stiff, beat in 2 tab of the sugar.Fold in rest of sugar, then almond mixture and essence.

Bake in two 18cm rounds on baking paper 150C 40 – 50 min until just coloured.Cool completely.

Sandwich with whipped cream and a thick layer of fruit.Flavour cream with eau de vie or brandy.

Assemble 3 – 24 hours in advance.

nzl99, Mar 18, 10:18pm
My nan roasts them and has them with her roast pork.

kinna54, Mar 19, 3:02am
Send them my way...... Please! yum!!! so envious. Grape pie sounds like heaven ! enjoy.

jag5, Mar 19, 4:20am
Usually do grape jelly....so nice on toast.The above grape juice sounds yummy too.

roseann48, Mar 19, 4:50am
Grapes, red onion, brie cheese as a salad. Yum

tielfan, Mar 19, 4:55am
We do a Tunisian chicken.Basically you take a litre of stock, glass of wine, two cups of grapes, as much harrissa as you can handle (some only want a little heat and others like a lot), half a cup brown sugar and half a kg of chicken breasts.You chuck it all in together to marinate for a couple of hours then slow cooker or oven cook it on 150C for about three hours.The chicken will all shred up and soak up the juices.Then we do a cous cous with a bit of butter, chicken stock and some cinnamon (can't miss the cinnamon) to serve.This size meal does two adults and two three year olds twice for dinner and hubby takes leftovers for lunch too.You can add soaked chopped apricots and raisins to the whole dish as well (either with the chicken or cous cous - as long as soaked).It's so yummy.We make our own harrissa but you can buy commerical easily.

marcs, Mar 19, 5:16am
if they are nice to eat, I freeze them. Frozen grapes are yummy

blt10, Mar 19, 7:33am
Grapes recipes

watertank1, Mar 19, 9:01pm
in baking our something of the like. Family got given a large bag of grapes (the "real kind") and we dont like them, so wondering if there is a recipe idea for using them! that might sweeten the taste a bit too.TIA

fifie, Mar 19, 9:19pm
I'm doing the same today lol, i'm going to try a grape slice to have with yoghurt. You could make a cake, muffins, or maybe freeze like blueberries for using later. I'm going to do this as have been given heaps and made all my jams jellies, no jars left now.

kinna54, Mar 20, 3:02am
Send them my way. Please! yum! so envious. Grape pie sounds like heaven ! enjoy.

jag5, Mar 20, 4:20am
Usually do grape jelly.so nice on toast.The above grape juice sounds yummy too.

tielfan, Mar 20, 4:55am
We do a Tunisian chicken.Basically you take a litre of stock, glass of wine, two cups of grapes, as much harrissa as you can handle (some only want a little heat and others like a lot), half a cup brown sugar and half a kg of chicken breasts.You chuck it all in together to marinate for a couple of hours then slow cooker or oven cook it on 150C for about three hours.The chicken will all shred up and soak up the juices.Then we do a cous cous with a bit of butter, chicken stock and some cinnamon (can't miss the cinnamon) to serve.This size meal does two adults and two three year olds twice for dinner and hubby takes leftovers for lunch too.You can add soaked chopped apricots and raisins to the whole dish as well (either with the chicken or cous cous - as long as soaked).It's so yummy.We make our own harrissa but you can buy commerical easily.

bev00, Mar 18, 11:19am
Frosted Grapes - choose small clusters dip in egg white then castor sugar . Dry on baking paper

lythande1, Mar 18, 8:24pm
You don't like "real" grapes!! Heathens.
Still, they don't need sweetening, if they really are sour, they were picked before they were fully ripe. J

daleaway, Mar 18, 8:58pm
You can make a sort of chutney/relish from grapes.

We like grapes halved and baked on top of fish fillets (done in foil).

gerry64, Mar 19, 3:22am
Saw Maggie Beer cook a beautiful cake on The Cook and The chef the other night using fresh grapes in the mix and on top - when she cut it looked absolutely yum but cant find the recipe online

juliewn, Mar 19, 8:57am
I used white grapes last week to make grape and mint jelly to have with lamb.

Place as many grapes as you want in a pan, just cover with water, and bring to a simmer.
Simmer until the grapes are cooked through.
Place a jelly-bag or a piece of muslin or cheese-cloth, or a double layer piece of fine-mesh net curtaining, over a bowl, and pour the mix carefully in.
Tie the top of the cloth in a knot around a wooden spoon or long piece of wood or similar, and lift it to sit over the upturned legs of a chair or similar - so the bag of fruit isn't touching the bowl beneath, and the liquid can drip from the fruit into the bowl.

Cover the whole lot loosely with a tablecloth or fabric, and leave overnight or at least several hours, so the juice drips out.
Don't squeeze the bag, or the resulting jelly will be cloudy.

Next day, place a small plate in your freezer or fridge to chill to help with checking setting.
Pick mint, wash, shake well and leave to dry in a sieve.
Pour the juice into a pan and bring to a boil.
Add a little sugar to your taste - I used brown to enhance the flavour, and about 1/3rd cup to 1.5 litres of juice.
Add a little vinegar - I used apple cider vinegar. malt, white, white wine, etc. are all good.
Adjust flavour to your taste with extra vinegar if needed.

Bring to a boil and test for setting after 5 minutes by placing a little of the mix on your chilled plate.
Place in the freezer or fridge and leave a few minutes.
While that's cooling, chop your mint finely and set aside.
Test by turning the plate on its side - if a crinkly top shows, it's ready to bottle, or if you run your finger through the centre, and the sides of the jelly don't run together from where your finger went through the jelly.
Mine took 5 minutes only from boiling - it set very quickly.
Add the chopped mint, bring back to boiling.
Pour into hot sterilised jars, place lids on and leave to cool.
Delicious. tangy and minty.

olishea, Mar 20, 12:19am
Freeze them, make really yum frozen lollies!