Dairy free cheese sauce

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Mar 19, 3:35am
Oh mucky that is fantastic. I'm afraid that some of us are used to seeing people post recipes and ideas that are made using ingredients that come straight from a packet. This is why uli 'assumed' you were talking about something like Maggi powdered stock. I too, made the same assumption when I read your post. It is refreshing to meet a fellow cook who appreciates the good things in life.

buzzy110, Mar 19, 3:38am
Isn't there a soy cheese on the market. I'm sure I've seen something like that in our supermarket.

Can I also take it from your original post that even though you say dairy free, you really only mean milk products with lactose, not butter or cream! I'm just thinking here that if that is the case, maybe someone could point you in the direction of a lactose free cheese. I think they are available, or even a goats cheese.

livys_mum, Mar 19, 4:05am
Thanks buzzy, it's not the lactose, its the casein in milk that she can't have, so she is totally milk free.I've tried one soy cheese - it tastes like vomit lol!She likes the soy yogurt from the same brand, but the cheese is blerk!

nzl99, Mar 19, 4:10am
Gosh that must be hard.

I would suggest similar things. make it savoury, rather than cheesy.use chicken stock, mustard, add plenty of fresh herbs, maybe a little cayenne if she likes spicy. how about making a pesto type 'sauce' so there is plenty of flavour.

nzl99, Mar 19, 4:22am
I love cheese and just as silly as it sounds, I really feel for your daughter.

Would this alternative be suitable for her!
http://www.veganperfection.com.au/productpage.php!id=49

livys_mum, Mar 19, 6:32am
yes, that would be ok, thanks for the link :o)

She's never had cheese, so she doesn't know what she's missing.And there is dairy free chocolate and ice cream, so her childhood isn't 'too' deprived lol.

nauru, Mar 19, 7:21am
Hi Mucky333.Would you like to share your recipe with the rest of us. My daughter would be very interested as she has 2 DF children. Thanks!

popit_nz, Mar 19, 11:07pm
doesnt it drive you nuts when you say you have a dairy free child people then say 'oh so she is lactose intolerant'.2 very different things or 'but a little bit wont hurt'

dairy allergic means that they cant have ANYTHING at all derived from dairy because they are allergic to the protein in the dairy but lactose intolerant means that they dont process the sugar in the dairy product that is why people are able to have lactose free dairy products because the sugar part is removed but dairy allergic people cant have lactose free because it still contains the dairy protein in the product.

I have been in exactly the same boat as you.

guest, May 25, 12:44pm
Hey, try giving the child Vegan Cheese! Tastes very similar to the real thing but dairy free! You can get from most organic or delicatessen shops. It's a bit more expensive but it melts and tastes very similar to cheese, plus if theres only one eating it. Even better! :-)