My cheese sauce split!why????

pheebs1, Sep 21, 1:16am
making macaroni last night.
50 gms butter a really heaped desert spoon of flour i cooked it off for a good min or 2 the pured in the milk slowly while i stirred like a mad person. it looked beautiful the as soon as i added the cheese it went grainy and split. it was awful
ok i used cheap nasty budget cheese which i havent used before but hey beggars cant be choosers blah blah
it was maild and i always use mild with no problems normally
what did i do wrong???
too much butter to much flour too much cooking? not enough?
help appreciated

pickles7, Sep 21, 1:29am
microwave macaroni cheese.

2 cups of macaroni
3 cups hot water
1 teaspoons salt
100 grams of butter

1 and 1/2 cups of milk

300 grams of grated tasty cheese
1/4 cup of plain flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dry mustard powder.

Microwave the water, butter, salt and macaroni for 12 minutes
without a lid, stir twice in the 12 minutes.
stand 5 minutes.
Add the milk,
mix together the rest of the ingredients, and stir in.
microwave a further 3 minutes, stir microwave further 3 minutes.
serve.

Quotepickles7 (452 )3:29 pm, Fri 10 Sep #75

pheebs1, Sep 21, 1:33am
cheers i will try that also

imn, Sep 21, 1:35am
Ive never heard of that happening. HEY there is nothing wrong with budget cheese. its hardly cheap and tastes nicer than some of the other brands out there. never used mild though. i use either edam or tasty in my white sauce. You cooked it the same way as I do but have never had that happen.

interested to read if someone actually knows.

westigal, Sep 21, 1:50am
I was always taught to remove the sauce from the element and cool a couple of minutes before adding the cheese so that it didn't split.

I use budget cheese all the time, works every time

cookessentials, Sep 21, 2:12am
It is because the sauce was too hot.It is always better to remove the pan from the heat before adding the cheese.

socram, Apr 6, 5:52pm
Don't add the cheese until the very end.It will then melt - which is all you want it to do, not boil.

I was chucking the cheese in whilst making the sauce (to save time...) and it was only then that it started splitting.I googled it and haven't had a problem since.