Cleaning Oven Element

persioux, Mar 17, 3:33am
My oven is all clean except for the roof & the top element. I didn't realize it was so covered in oil until I turned the grill on. I have'nt used the grill before.
The oven filled with smoke & I freaked out. Turned the grill off. Read the instruction manual- but nothing on hoe to clean the element. Will it catch fire if I turn it on & burn it off?
Thanks
Yes I have searched all the cleaning oven threads.

persioux, Mar 17, 7:12am
Hi everyone. Does nobody have a solution for me please??

kinna54, Mar 17, 8:08am
Turn everything off and try using an oven cleaner or a degreaser. If you haven't anything elseto hand use hot soapy water with some ammoniaor a dishwasher powder cube added (make sure you have a window open nearby, if using ammonia.). If it is very bad try a bit of caustic soda, but before you use any of these suggestions make sure you are well protected with rubber gloves.

persioux, Mar 17, 7:47pm
Thankyou Kinna54. The problem is that you are not supposed to put oven cleaner on the element. I actually thought you weren't supposed to get the element wet.

lilyfield, Mar 17, 7:54pm
can't you take it out? some just plug into a socket.

persioux, Mar 17, 8:49pm
No lilyfield the element doesn't come out, however it unclips & drops down to make cleaning the oven roof easier. But, the problem is th oil on the actual element. How would I clean it please. Thanks

lilyfield, Mar 17, 9:12pm
just use straight Handy Andy on a worn green pot scrubber. rinse off well

persioux, Mar 18, 3:33am
My oven is all clean except for the roof & the top element. I didn't realize it was so covered in oil until I turned the grill on. I have'nt used the grill before.
The oven filled with smoke & I freaked out. Turned the grill off. Read the instruction manual- but nothing on hoe to clean the element. Will it catch fire if I turn it on & burn it off!
Thanks
Yes I have searched all the cleaning oven threads.

kinna54, Mar 18, 5:47am
Ok. I used to clean a lot of commercial ovens that way.Surely it would be ok to just wipe it? I would then just do as lilyfield suggests, or maybe do a search on the make and check with the manufacturer.

persioux, Mar 18, 7:12am
Hi everyone. Does nobody have a solution for me please!

kinna54, Mar 18, 8:08am
Turn everything off and try using an oven cleaner or a degreaser. If you haven't anything elseto hand use hot soapy water with some ammoniaor a dishwasher powder cube added (make sure you have a window open nearby, if using ammonia.). If it is very bad try a bit of caustic soda, but before you use any of these suggestions make sure you are well protected with rubber gloves.

persioux, Mar 18, 7:47pm
Thankyou Kinna54. The problem is that you are not supposed to put oven cleaner on the element. I actually thought you weren't supposed to get the element wet.

lilyfield, Mar 18, 7:54pm
can't you take it out! some just plug into a socket.

kiwibubbles, Mar 18, 8:26pm
can't you turn the oven up really high and let it burn off? keep the oven door open and your back or front door open so the house doesn't get smoky

persioux, Mar 18, 8:49pm
No lilyfield the element doesn't come out, however it unclips & drops down to make cleaning the oven roof easier. But, the problem is th oil on the actual element. How would I clean it please. Thanks

kinna54, Mar 19, 5:47am
Ok. I used to clean a lot of commercial ovens that way.Surely it would be ok to just wipe it! I would then just do as lilyfield suggests, or maybe do a search on the make and check with the manufacturer.

kiwibubbles, Mar 19, 8:26pm
can't you turn the oven up really high and let it burn off! keep the oven door open and your back or front door open so the house doesn't get smoky