Preserving help - sauces w strong vinegar flavour

katelin1, Mar 12, 12:51am
I made tomato sauce and spicy plum sauce last weekend - but the flavour is quite strongly dominated by vinegar. I used the Edmonds recipes which call for 4 cups of malt vinegar per 3.5kg of tomatoes, and for the spicy plum sauce - 1.75L of malt vinegar for 2.75kg of plums (but I actually didnt even used that much vinegar cos it seems like SO much!).

Any suggestions? Could it be that the fruit wasn't strongly flavoured enough? I used home grown totally ripe tomatoes (range of varieties from Roma to Moneymaker and some other heritage ones).

Help please! I have another load of toms ready to pick and preserve!

nanasee1, Mar 12, 12:59am
Sauces mellow with time, they are better kept for a couple of months before using. You could try cutting back the vinegar or putting more sugar in for the next batch.

katelin1, Mar 12, 1:02am
Great thanks so much. Maybe I was a bit keen wanting to use it straight away!

katelin1, Mar 13, 12:51am
I made tomato sauce and spicy plum sauce last weekend - but the flavour is quite strongly dominated by vinegar. I used the Edmonds recipes which call for 4 cups of malt vinegar per 3.5kg of tomatoes, and for the spicy plum sauce - 1.75L of malt vinegar for 2.75kg of plums (but I actually didnt even used that much vinegar cos it seems like SO much!).

Any suggestions! Could it be that the fruit wasn't strongly flavoured enough! I used home grown totally ripe tomatoes (range of varieties from Roma to Moneymaker and some other heritage ones).

Help please! I have another load of toms ready to pick and preserve!