Using up house cow milk

Page 1 / 3
daz.bev, Mar 11, 8:56am
I have way too much milk and was wondering if anyone has some good recipes for using it up. I am going to make cheese once I get the stuff. Thought about ice cream but the recipes I see only use 1/2 cup of milk & cream. Wanting something that uses quite a bit of milk.

petal1955, Mar 11, 9:00am
I have frozen pastuerised (sp) milk before...it goes a little yellow in the plastic milk containers....but once its removed from the freezer and left to defrost ...a good shake and it just like it was before it was frozen.......I also make a milky coffee(latte) in the microwave.....coffee mug of milk....spoonful of instant coffee and sugar(if needed)stir.....zap for 55 sec.....then stir again.zap for 15 secs.....just like a bought latte.......can also use drinking chocolate/milo as well.

jessie981, Mar 11, 9:06am
Like petal I freeze & use in baking

daz.bev, Mar 11, 9:07am
wefreeze milk all the time because we live so far from the supermarket & yes it works fine :o) My problem now that we don't buy milk and use our house cow which gives us about 18 litres of milk a day, and I can't use that all up lol even our 6 dogs struggle to drink some but I don't want to give them too much

ralfie2, Mar 11, 9:09am
weve been getting milk from the vat on our farm since milk prices went up....i scoop off the layer of cream and make potato bakes,whipped cream for pikelets. I am wanting to churn my own butter but hvent learnt how to yet.
what about yoghurt?? you could google how to make yoghurt!! and cheese sauce for yum macaroni.

daz.bev, Mar 11, 9:10am
She produces six 3litres containers of milk a day or nine 2litre milk containers a day. I am feeling guilty tipping all this milk away. Wasn't expecting so much milk as she has her calf with her 24/7

daz.bev, Mar 11, 9:12am
thanks ralfie, I never thought of yoghurt, will look into that. Going to try making butter tomorrow to use up the cream.

jessie981, Mar 11, 9:13am
15 unusual uses for milk (fun thread)
http://lifehackery.com/2008/11/24/home-16/

daz.bev, Mar 11, 9:17am
Thanks Jessie!! I might look into making soap. hehe or take a bath in it

lissy73, Mar 11, 9:30am
Why don't you advertise at the local school, or store etc if a neighbour wants to go halves on the milk with you? Maybe do a swap for veges or something

daz.bev, Mar 11, 9:33am
I could try that lissy73, thankyou. I have been trying to give some away to my friends but because it isn't from the shop, they think it's gross lol

kamitchell, Mar 11, 9:43am
Oh my gosh, I get so sick of people thinking like that!We milk goats and also have friends who won't even try it, thank goodness I also have friends who are similar minded to myself & love and believe in raw milk.Lucky you is all I can say

lx4000, Mar 11, 7:45pm
add to your chook food or feed to the pigs.

Winter is coming and hello custard, bread and butter and rice puddings!

dezzie, Mar 11, 9:02pm
Get another calf..and if she won't let it latch on, feed it yourself, heck you could probably feed another 2 really, start them off on two litres twice a day each, so that gets rid of 8 litres from the start, as the calves get older, you can up their rations. Thats presuming you have grazing room for a couple more.
edit.. checked your profile, and see you have chooks, we used to put milk in a little low trough and the chooks and turkeys loved it, so they could probably have some as well.

lil_miss_haley, Mar 11, 9:07pm
I agree with getting another couple of calves, or make cheese.Mum had the same problem with getting tons of milk, so she made cheese and some of them were amazing, even the french cheesemaker down the road was impressed.Apparently raw milk makes the best cheese.

greerg, Mar 11, 9:29pm
I do envy you - was brought up on jersy milk fetched in the billy from the farm across the road.Cream so thick the spoon stood up in it!Just as well we had a very active childhood.Cheese is the only way you'll get rid of that quantity though- there's a limit to how much yoghurt you can use.My icecream recipe uses 240mlsof milk and 360 mls of cream for abouta litre of icecream so you could make quite a bit of that and freeze it for later in the year.Home-made icecream is a great going-out-for-dinner gift as well.It does sound as if she needs to foster a bobby calf or two next year.If you don't have much grazing you could probably sell them as weaners.

ashanti, Mar 11, 10:48pm
I have a mozzarella recipe using 4 litres of milk, but you end up with whey which you can feed to your chooks or dogs, you can freeze it for about 8 months too.
Will go find it and post

ashanti, Mar 11, 10:51pm
3.8 litres milk
2 teaspoons citric acid, dissolved in 1/4 cup cool water
1 teaspoon liquid rennet, dissolved in 1/4 cup cool water
1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional)

I use a double-boiler method to heat my milk.Place a 2 gallon pot inside a slightly larger pot, with hot water in the outside pot.This helps prevent scorching your milk and helps the milk heat up more evenly.

Dissolve your rennet in cool water before you start to warm the milk.

Set another pot of water to heat up to 80 degrees celsius.It will form bubbles on the surface of the pot, but won't actually be simmering (breaking bubbles).

Put your cool/cold milk in the 2 gallon pot and mix the citric acid in thoroughly.Heat the milk to 31.1c - it will start to curdle.Stir while heating so that the milk is evenly warmed.

senj, Mar 11, 10:51pm
A couple of weaner pigs would do the job quite nicely, and they will turn it into bacon and pork.

ashanti, Mar 11, 10:52pm
Gently stir in the rennet with an up and down motion (don't swirl your spoon through the milk, as it can break the curd up/prevent good curd formation).Quit stirring once it is well blended, but continue to warm the milk to 40.6c .Remove the inner pot from the double boiler once the milk reaches 40.6c*.If you do not have clean break yet, allow the pot to set undisturbed.This can take 5-10 minutes with the curd being the consistency of thick yogurt and the whey should be fairly clear, though yellowish-greenish.

I then scoop the curds out into a pyrex bowl.Ladle some of the almost-simmering water close to but not over the curds and using a slotted spoon, gently, very gently, lift them around and fold them over each other as they warm.The curds are tender at this point and you don't want to break them up at all.As the water cools, dump it off and add more hot water.

The curd will start to change from a yogurt-like mass to a warm taffy-like substance.At this point, you can start taking it out and stretching it.If it is too hot to handle (use a pair of rubber gloves or two pair of latex exam gloves), I will use two spoons to lift and stretch it until it has cooled enough to handle.If the curd strands break, return them to the hot water (replace this as it cools), then try again.

Note- I use a good quality stainless steel pan sitting inside an electric frypan filles half way up with water to heat the milk, works fine if you don't have a double boiler. Most new world stores stock rennet

petal1955, Mar 12, 9:00am
I have frozen pastuerised (sp) milk before.it goes a little yellow in the plastic milk containers.but once its removed from the freezer and left to defrost .a good shake and it just like it was before it was frozen.I also make a milky coffee(latte) in the microwave.coffee mug of milk.spoonful of instant coffee and sugar(if needed)stir.zap for 55 sec.then stir again.zap for 15 secs.just like a bought latte.can also use drinking chocolate/milo as well.

daz.bev, Mar 12, 9:07am
wefreeze milk all the time because we live so far from the supermarket & yes it works fine :o) My problem now that we don't buy milk and use our house cow which gives us about 18 litres of milk a day, and I can't use that all up lol even our 6 dogs struggle to drink some but I don't want to give them too much

ralfie2, Mar 12, 9:09am
weve been getting milk from the vat on our farm since milk prices went up.i scoop off the layer of cream and make potato bakes,whipped cream for pikelets. I am wanting to churn my own butter but hvent learnt how to yet.
what about yoghurt! you could google how to make yoghurt! and cheese sauce for yum macaroni.

daz.bev, Mar 12, 9:10am
She produces six 3litres containers of milk a day or nine 2litre milk containers a day. I am feeling guilty tipping all this milk away. Wasn't expecting so much milk as she has her calf with her 24/7

daz.bev, Mar 12, 9:17am
Thanks Jessie! I might look into making soap. hehe or take a bath in it