Condensed Milk Mayonaise

Page 1 / 2
celosia, Jul 9, 1:17am
I have made this numerous times and used to have it as a kid, but lately when I make it, it goes runny after a few days which is something I have never had happen before - any ideas as to why this is happening?I haven't changed any ingredients or the levels.

lx4000, Jul 9, 1:35am
how do you make it?? What do you put in it?

lizab, Jul 9, 1:41am
are you buying the same brand of condensed milk? Maybe they've changed their recipe somehow??

aurora5, Jul 9, 1:44am
I have had the same problem. I've used the same recipe since forever.but it now goes runny.I use the same condensed milk,with equal vinegar and milk. Be great if someonecould explain.

lx4000, Jul 9, 2:06am
1 tin Highlander condensed milk,
mustard powder (1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 C malt vinegar

Whisk all together and refrigerate.

Do Not use the lightHighlander condensed milk as it will be very runny!!

sue1955, Jul 9, 3:27am
Eta make a Condensed Milk-Style Dressing in a 400ml plastic container now which we find quite nice.

pickles7, Jul 9, 3:39am
The sweetened condenced milk is not the same as it was, a few years ago. Remember having to dig it out of the tin, you dont any longer. We no longer make it.

sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of milk powder, 1 Tblsp butter, 3/4 cup of boiling water. This recipe has saved me a trip to the supermarket, a few times.

or

whole egg mayonnaise
1 whole egg
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
150 mils of sunflower oil
150 mils of canola oil
You will need a stick blender and a tall beaker to make this mayonnaise.
Put the egg into the beaker first
Put the other ingredients carefully on top of the egg, so as not to disturb the egg.
Lower the stick blender in to the bottom without disturbing the ingredients.
Pulse the blender, until the ingredients start to emulsify, tilt the blender to allow the oil to be incorporated.

celosia, Jul 9, 4:17am
1X4000 - that's the recipe I have always used, malt DYC vinegar, Nestle Sweetened Cond Milk (not the lite). It is a real mystery to me.

celosia, Jul 9, 4:19am
thanks for the other suggestions and recipes - might have to look at the ETA one.Runny mayonaise in a sandwich certainly isn't very easy to handle.

kay141, Jul 9, 4:20am
I just use condensed milk and vinegar, mixed to pouring constituency. It keeps for ages and thickens up in a jar in the fridge. When I need it, I take some of that and thin it with milk back to pouring . constituency. At that stage, I also add any other flavourings I want. It keeps in my fridge for over a year and is great for spreading or doing filled eggs etc.

celosia, Jul 9, 4:25am
it sure does keep well in the frig kay141 but mine goes runny in the frig now and it is so useless for some uses like spreading.Just not sure where it's all going wrong. Usually I have always had to thin it down before use, but not any longer (sigh)

moggie57, Jul 10, 10:39am
WOW!!...a year?

lx4000, Jul 10, 9:03pm
moggie57its preserved! Condensed milk lasts for ages and with the vinegar in it .....

suie1, Jul 11, 12:07am
pickles7 wrote:
The sweetened condenced milk is not the same as it was, a few years ago. Remember having to dig it out of the tin, you dont any longer. We no longer make it, out of a can. I make my own..

sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of milk powder, 1 Tblsp butter, 3/4 cup of boiling water. This recipe has saved me a trip to the supermarket, a few times.

Can you post the method for this?TIA

suie1, Jul 11, 12:11am
The only condensed Milk to use is Highlander also be careful it is not the lite one. The Home Brand & other cheaper brands come from China or Singapore yuk

purplegoanna, Jul 11, 12:16am
i just add vinegar bit by bit untill i get the right taste and consistency....would neva make it half half blurk...

pickles7, Jul 11, 5:34am
I put the milk powder and sugar in a bowl, butter on top , pour in the boiling water and stir....easy.

kay141, Jul 11, 5:48am
I made a batch in the late summer. There is still some in the fridge. A little vinegar is sitting on top but the rest is thick. It is just Highlander Condensed milk and vinegar. Apart from a whole tin of condensed milk, I can't give quantities as I add malt vinegar until I think it is right. I have found thatvinegars other than DYC are not so good.

nzmu, Jul 11, 6:43pm
As above - I have had failures too, but never with Highlander (not lite) condensed milk. All other brands fail and don't taste the same either.

andrea09, Jul 12, 5:09am
I do a tin of condensed milk, 1/4 cup vinegar and dollop of mustard powder. No real measurements but it seems to stay thick for ages....
Best mayo ever though aye :)

janienz1, Jul 12, 5:16am
Mine has been going runny too. Great to read this thread thanks - I agree that the ETA stuff is quite tasty :)

lx4000, Jul 12, 6:24am
Ummm have you tried the Best Food one? the dark blue and the light one? I like both but prefer the light blue light one as its a cheese flavour with no added cheese! mmmmm Thats my preference when buying one!

janienz1, Jul 12, 7:07am
Thanks 1x4000 - i will try that one next time :)

creek, Jul 12, 7:47am
I brought the cheap condensed milk and made the same mayonnaise and was runny so dont get cheap anymore and is ok

firemansgirl, Jul 12, 8:09am
Oooh leftover roast chicken chopped with enough mayo added to bind it, loads of fresh ground black pepper all on molenberg bread - YUMMY!