Using up house cow milk

Page 2 / 3
lissy73, Mar 12, 9:30am
Why don't you advertise at the local school, or store etc if a neighbour wants to go halves on the milk with you! Maybe do a swap for veges or something

daz.bev, Mar 12, 9:33am
I could try that lissy73, thankyou. I have been trying to give some away to my friends but because it isn't from the shop, they think it's gross lol

kamitchell, Mar 12, 9:43am
Oh my gosh, I get so sick of people thinking like that!We milk goats and also have friends who won't even try it, thank goodness I also have friends who are similar minded to myself & love and believe in raw milk.Lucky you is all I can say

dezzie, Mar 12, 9:02pm
Get another calf.and if she won't let it latch on, feed it yourself, heck you could probably feed another 2 really, start them off on two litres twice a day each, so that gets rid of 8 litres from the start, as the calves get older, you can up their rations. Thats presuming you have grazing room for a couple more.
edit. checked your profile, and see you have chooks, we used to put milk in a little low trough and the chooks and turkeys loved it, so they could probably have some as well.

greerg, Mar 12, 9:29pm
I do envy you - was brought up on jersy milk fetched in the billy from the farm across the road.Cream so thick the spoon stood up in it!Just as well we had a very active childhood.Cheese is the only way you'll get rid of that quantity though- there's a limit to how much yoghurt you can use.My icecream recipe uses 240mlsof milk and 360 mls of cream for abouta litre of icecream so you could make quite a bit of that and freeze it for later in the year.Home-made icecream is a great going-out-for-dinner gift as well.It does sound as if she needs to foster a bobby calf or two next year.If you don't have much grazing you could probably sell them as weaners.

ashanti, Mar 12, 10:51pm
3.8 litres milk
2 teaspoons citric acid, dissolved in 1/4 cup cool water
1 teaspoon liquid rennet, dissolved in 1/4 cup cool water
1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional)

I use a double-boiler method to heat my milk.Place a 2 gallon pot inside a slightly larger pot, with hot water in the outside pot.This helps prevent scorching your milk and helps the milk heat up more evenly.

Dissolve your rennet in cool water before you start to warm the milk.

Set another pot of water to heat up to 80 degrees celsius.It will form bubbles on the surface of the pot, but won't actually be simmering (breaking bubbles).

Put your cool/cold milk in the 2 gallon pot and mix the citric acid in thoroughly.Heat the milk to 31.1c - it will start to curdle.Stir while heating so that the milk is evenly warmed.

ashanti, Mar 12, 10:52pm
Gently stir in the rennet with an up and down motion (don't swirl your spoon through the milk, as it can break the curd up/prevent good curd formation).Quit stirring once it is well blended, but continue to warm the milk to 40.6c .Remove the inner pot from the double boiler once the milk reaches 40.6c*.If you do not have clean break yet, allow the pot to set undisturbed.This can take 5-10 minutes with the curd being the consistency of thick yogurt and the whey should be fairly clear, though yellowish-greenish.

I then scoop the curds out into a pyrex bowl.Ladle some of the almost-simmering water close to but not over the curds and using a slotted spoon, gently, very gently, lift them around and fold them over each other as they warm.The curds are tender at this point and you don't want to break them up at all.As the water cools, dump it off and add more hot water.

The curd will start to change from a yogurt-like mass to a warm taffy-like substance.At this point, you can start taking it out and stretching it.If it is too hot to handle (use a pair of rubber gloves or two pair of latex exam gloves), I will use two spoons to lift and stretch it until it has cooled enough to handle.If the curd strands break, return them to the hot water (replace this as it cools), then try again.

Note- I use a good quality stainless steel pan sitting inside an electric frypan filles half way up with water to heat the milk, works fine if you don't have a double boiler. Most new world stores stock rennet

daz.bev, Mar 14, 9:03am
thankyou ashanti!! I will give that a go mmmm cheese

dollertree, Mar 14, 11:49am
Make Ghee............
Boil milk in pot and when milk turn slight yellowish or brownish then cool and collect milk in bucket for 3-4 days and then beat/stir it, add chilled water so the creamy bits come to top surface and it will be easy to take out.. After all the creams are out you can put in fridge for a night till solid ghee separates from milk that comes out of it. Boild the ghee on low heat till it melts and left over water separates from ghee, add 1-2 lemon leaves for great smell seive it in pot and when cooled pack in bottle. When boiling have to be very careful because it will form bubbles and make sure it does not stick at bottom. We love ghee...especially homemade.

harrislucinda, Mar 14, 10:39pm
yesandtheweightgoeson

daz.bev, Mar 15, 9:03am
thankyou ashanti! I will give that a go mmmm cheese

lizab, Mar 15, 10:19am
daz.bev - it's easy to make your own butter from the house cow's milk. Just whizz it all in a processor until you get a lump of butter formed and watery milk remaining. Squish it quite a few times between your palms under a cold running tap to get rid of any remaining milk, until the water runs clear. I too have a house cow. I use the cream (skimmed from a 4 litre billy) for muffins (instead of butter), potato bakes and sometimes ice cream.

dollertree, Mar 15, 11:49am
Make Ghee.
Boil milk in pot and when milk turn slight yellowish or brownish then cool and collect milk in bucket for 3-4 days and then beat/stir it, add chilled water so the creamy bits come to top surface and it will be easy to take out. After all the creams are out you can put in fridge for a night till solid ghee separates from milk that comes out of it. Boil the ghee on low heat till it melts and left over water separates from ghee, add 1-2 lemon leaves for great smell seive it in pot and when cooled pack in bottle. When boiling have to be very careful because it will form bubbles and make sure it does not stick at bottom. We love ghee.especially homemade.

harrislucinda, Mar 15, 10:39pm
yesandtheweightgoeson

harrislucinda, Mar 16, 4:01am
soyou dothisto thecubeswheniget to thisstageipressitanddrainwhatdoes yourmethoddo after these cubeshavebeenback in hotwaterdo youleaveto sitordryoffthanks

lizab, Mar 16, 10:19am
daz.bev - it's easy to make your own butter from the house cow's milk. Just whizz it all in a processor until you get a lump of butter formed and watery milk remaining. Squish it quite a few times between your palms under a cold running tap to get rid of any remaining milk, until the water runs clear. I too have a house cow. I use the cream (skimmed from a 4 litre billy) for muffins (instead of butter), potato bakes and sometimes ice cream.

ashanti, Mar 16, 11:52pm
sorry, what cubes?

harrislucinda, Mar 17, 12:15am
the curdcubesthatformaftercuttingihavetaken them outandpressedbutyou sayyoutakeout ofwhey andplaceinboilingwateris thisanotherkindofcheese
thanks

ashanti, Mar 17, 1:36am
No, no the instructions do not mention cutting into cubes! read teh instructions then search youtube for making mozzarella, maybe then my instructions will make more sense.

crsdbl, Mar 17, 1:54am
i make yoghurt with farm milk. its also yummy drained a little through a muslin cloth to make cheese.

i just use an easio greek yoghurt sachet. 1 sachet will make 8 litres.

mix 2T yoghurt mix, 2T milk powder (because i like it thick) and 1L milk.

use your yoghurt maker as normal.

harrislucinda, Mar 17, 3:46am
sorrytocomeback andaskijustgoogleandbothsitesilookedatformaking thischeesesaidcutthecurdsintosquaresand1saidusethemicrowaveforcookingthecurdswillgiveitagotomorrowthanks

ashanti, Mar 17, 7:18am
Mozzarella- no you do not cut curd into squares, read my recipe again and it does NOT cut the curd, you are working the curd as it forms into a toffe liek substance, I will trey and find you a "correct" demo on youtube and post it here.

lizab, Mar 17, 8:23am
does it work the same with all flavours or just the plain/greek?

harrislucinda, Mar 17, 8:58am
thanksashantiread your profileso youmustknowaboutcheese thenwilltryyour way

crsdbl, Mar 17, 8:45pm
i have only used greek, im still using my first sachet. as long as it has cultures in it it should work fine. in theory?!