??CHCH COOKBOOK -> SOUP RECIPES??

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:00am
Thank you all for your positive feedback on our main Christchurch Quake Fundraising Recipe Book thread.We feel confident enough to make a start:

Please bring your soup recipes in here.

These must be YOUR recipes that you are able to give permission for to be used in our TM community fundraising recipe book for Christchurch.Please do not include any recipes that come from a published cookbook ... unless of course you personally know Jamie Oliver and he has said in writing that we can include his pukka whatever !!!

You can take a shortcut and refer us to your recipe at post number xxx, in the xxx thread, on this message board or even better, provide a link to your recipe.

Many thanks in advance, Pat & Andrea

fisher, Mar 4, 5:21am

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:27am
fisher, you are a gem ... thank you!

fastlanenz, Mar 5, 5:00am
Thank you all for your positive feedback on our main Christchurch Quake Fundraising Recipe Book thread.We feel confident enough to make a start:

Please bring your soup recipes in here.

These must be YOUR recipes that you are able to give permission for to be used in our TM community fundraising recipe book for Christchurch.Please do not include any recipes that come from a published cookbook . unless of course you personally know Jamie Oliver and he has said in writing that we can include his pukka whatever !

You can take a shortcut and refer us to your recipe at post number xxx, in the xxx thread, on this message board or even better, provide a link to your recipe.

Many thanks in advance, Pat & Andrea

fisher, Mar 5, 5:21am
http://www.e-ware.co.nz/soup.htm
The new orleans oyster soup if off trademe.

fastlanenz, Mar 5, 5:27am
fisher, you are a gem . thank you!

cgvl, Mar 5, 10:39pm
fastlanz:
My favourite Cream of Pumpkin soup:
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
750g buttercup pumpkin, skinned, chopped and cooked
600ml milk
¼ tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
cream
oil or butter to saute onions.
parsley
Method:
Cook pumpkin in a little salted boiling water until soft, drain and mash.
saute onion and garlic in oil until soft and add to mashed pumpkin.
Add enough milk to give the pumpkin a thick soup consistency,
add nutmeg and a swirl of cream just before serving.
You can also add some parsley to each bowl.
For the amount of pumkin to use I generally use1 piece of pumpkin per person (ie what I would cook per person if baking or steaming)

lythande1, Mar 5, 10:45pm
Gulyas

500g any tough beef
2 large onions
1 capsicum
2 large potatoes
pinch caraway seed (optional)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp hungarian paprika (yes OK cheat and use spanish, not as good but it will do)
Chop everything into diced pieces - cut the meat small, through into a pot andadd stock. Simmer till tender.
Easy wasn't it?

lythande1, Mar 6, 10:45pm
Gulyas

500g any tough beef
2 large onions
1 capsicum
2 large potatoes
pinch caraway seed (optional)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp hungarian paprika (yes OK cheat and use spanish, not as good but it will do)
Chop everything into diced pieces - cut the meat small, through into a pot andadd stock. Simmer till tender.
Easy wasn't it!

pixiegirl, Mar 9, 10:30pm
Hi lythande1, many thanks for sharing your recipe.Quick question - how much stock do you use or do you just top up with stock as needed - and do you use what type of stock.Just want to get recipe right. Thanks

macandrosie, Mar 12, 9:15am
Happy to share some I've perfected:

Chicken & Broccoli Soup
Boil up chicken frames till tender, remove any meat, then discard bones.
Retain chicken stock (you want at least 700 mls to 1 litre).
3-4 florets broccoli, chopped finely
2 pkts cream of chicken soup
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 large potato, grated
2 cups milk
½ cup cream (opt)
Salt & pepper
To a 2 litre saucepan add the chicken stock, chopped onion, grated potato, chicken soups (made up with a little water), & chopped broccoli. Bring to the boil & then turn back to allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes. About 10 minutes before serving, add 2 cups of milk ( & a little cream if you like). Season. Reduce heat as it can curdle at this time.

Braised Chicken, Tomato & Basil Soup
Boil up chicken frames till tender. Remove any meat from the bone & discard bones.
Place chicken stock into a 2 litre saucepan.
3-4 cans chopped tomatoes
1-2 medium onions, chopped
3-4 tsp dried basil
1 pkt each cream of chicken & tomato soups
A few fresh basil leaves (optional)
Salt & pepper
Extra water
Place all ingreds into the saucepan with chicken stock. Add enough water to make the pot 3/4 full. Allow to simmer for 30 mins or so. Season to taste. To serve place a couple of fresh basil leaves onto each bowl.

pixiegirl, Mar 13, 12:00am
I love the "happy to share some I have perfected" - it is an evolution isn't it.I think we have all had recipes over the years where we have chopped and changed to suit the family and or the fussy ones in the family, you add this and leave that out.Many many thanks for sharing for this great project.

buzzy110, Mar 13, 1:54am
Pixiegirl, I have one I 'adapted' when I was a vegetarian. I never did have precise quantitites, using as much or as little of the ingredients as required for the amount of soup I was making.

I wonder if you could use it anyway? If so, I'll post it for you.

lythande1, Mar 13, 3:33am
Cover it. beef stock but it doesn't matter hugely what sort.

timetable, Mar 13, 6:04am
first off i can't spell lol so sorry in advance for whoever is doing all that stuff cos i just made your job a bit harder i am afraid.....

Chicken Noodle soup:
boil up to 4 chicken carcases that are just covered and no more in water with 2tsp of powdered chicken stock, 4 bay leaves, good grind of pepper, 1 finely chopped onion, 2 sprigs thyme and then let cool enough to strip off all the flesh and return to the pot.

Take out bay leaves and thyme and then bring back up to the boil.Add your fav noodles - rice, 2 min, egg - whatever you like - and then add then the thickening (3tsp of wheaten cornflour mixed with enough milk to form a nice liquid paste) in a slow stream stiring all the time while the mix is boiling.let boil for about a min or two till the noddles are cooked through and then serve.freezes well and is sooooooooooooo yum!!

macandrosie, Mar 13, 9:15am
Happy to share some I've perfected:

Chicken & Broccoli Soup
Boil up chicken frames till tender, remove any meat, then discard bones.
Retain chicken stock (you want at least 700 mls to 1 litre).
3-4 florets broccoli, chopped finely
2 pkts cream of chicken soup
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 large potato, grated
2 cups milk
½ cup cream (opt)
Salt & pepper
To a 2 litre saucepan add the chicken stock, chopped onion, grated potato, chicken soups (made up with a little water), & chopped broccoli. Bring to the boil & then turn back to allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes. About 10 minutes before serving, add 2 cups of milk ( & a little cream if you like). Season. Reduce heat as it can curdle at this time.

Braised Chicken, Tomato & Basil Soup
Boil up chicken frames till tender. Remove any meat from the bone & discard bones.
Place chicken stock into a 2 litre saucepan.
3-4 cans chopped tomatoes
1-2 medium onions, chopped
3-4 tsp dried basil
1 pkt each cream of chicken & tomato soups
A few fresh basil leaves (optional)
Salt & pepper
Extra water
Place all ingreds into the saucepan with chicken stock. Add enough water to make the pot 3/4 full. Allow to simmer for 30 mins or so. Season to taste. To serve place a couple of fresh basil leaves onto each bowl.

woolfemme, Mar 13, 9:32am
Toasted Oat and Tomato & Garlic Soup(really rich)
olive oil
1/2 cup rolled oats
4 small or 3 large onions
1 small tin or pottle of tomato paste
4 x cans of chopped peeled tomatos
1 head of garlic

In a very large saucepan or stock pot, brown the rolled oats in the olive oil,(watch very carefully they go from browning to burnt really quickly)
remove these from the pot and add some more oil and the sliced onions,cook until clear,
then add the tinned tomatos, tomato paste and the rolled oats
Peel the garlic and add the whole cloves
add water until you get a good consistency
cook slowly for at least an hour
the garlic cloves get really sweet and the oats seem to thicken the soup so its not watery.
This is wonderful with crusty bread.

pixiegirl, Mar 13, 7:54pm
Thank you guys - much appreciated.

pixiegirl, Mar 14, 12:00am
I love the "happy to share some I have perfected" - it is an evolution isn't it.I think we have all had recipes over the years where we have chopped and changed to suit the family and or the fussy ones in the family, you add this and leave that out.Many many thanks for sharing for this great project.

buzzy110, Mar 14, 1:54am
Pixiegirl, I have one I 'adapted' when I was a vegetarian. I never did have precise quantitites, using as much or as little of the ingredients as required for the amount of soup I was making.

I wonder if you could use it anyway! If so, I'll post it for you.

lythande1, Mar 14, 3:33am
Cover it. beef stock but it doesn't matter hugely what sort.

timetable, Mar 14, 6:04am
first off i can't spell lol so sorry in advance for whoever is doing all that stuff cos i just made your job a bit harder i am afraid.

Chicken Noodle soup:
boil up to 4 chicken carcases that are just covered and no more in water with 2tsp of powdered chicken stock, 4 bay leaves, good grind of pepper, 1 finely chopped onion, 2 sprigs thyme and then let cool enough to strip off all the flesh and return to the pot.

Take out bay leaves and thyme and then bring back up to the boil.Add your fav noodles - rice, 2 min, egg - whatever you like - and then add then the thickening (3tsp of wheaten cornflour mixed with enough milk to form a nice liquid paste) in a slow stream stiring all the time while the mix is boiling.let boil for about a min or two till the noddles are cooked through and then serve.freezes well and is sooooooooooooo yum!