Gherkins

jofes, Jan 30, 1:54am
Any nice recipes for using these ? ?

timetable, Jan 30, 2:56am
quick and easy... . .
prick the gerkins all over with a fork, then pack into sterilized jars and cover with brine - a mix of 1ltr water to 1/3 cup of salt. leave for 3 days, giving the jar's a shake each day to disperse the salt, as it will settle to the bottom of the jar. empty jars and rinse the gerkins well - i find that they will stay nicely in the jars, just drain out the brine and then refill the jars a couple of times with fresh water to rinse off the gerkins. leave for about half an hour uncovered to dry out a bit. or you can empty the jars, wash and dry them, rinse off the gerkins well, and then pack into dry clean jars. make up the same vin mix that you would for pickled onions and pour into the jars, making sure that the gerkins are covered well all the way to the top of the jar. leave for at least 4 weeks before eating - yum! !

pickles7, Jan 30, 5:58am
1 kg of gherkins.
wash them well not leaving any flower ends on. Dissolve 1/2 cup of sea salt in 4 cups of water. Line a non-metallic bowl with grape leaves, put gherkins on top, cover those with more grape leaves. Leave for five days in a cool place to turn yellow. Drain. boil up 4 cups of white vinegar, 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tblsp of black peppercorns, 1 Tblsp each of, whole allspice, whole cloves, whole mustard seeds. 1 cm sliced root ginger. Add gherkins and simmer 2 minutes, max. . until they turn olive green again , pack into jars, cover with the vinegar, put lids on. mature for 6 weeks. enjoy.

coolkiwibird, Dec 15, 5:30am
I only have one gherkin plant producing so far. Can I put the ripe ones in a brine and add too it over the week.I have picked 9 in one day and it is still a little vine.

coolkiwibird, Dec 17, 7:45pm
Can I do a quick recipe to get them ready for Christmas day?

roseann48, Nov 11, 5:49am
I have used this recipe for over 30 yrs - easy & nice.
Wash gherkins & soak in brine 12-24 hours. Wash & dry.
Bring spiced vinegar to boil & add a little sugar to remove tartness.
Place gherkins in hot vinegar for 2 mins. Pack into hot jars & pour vinegar over to cover. Leave until cold & re top with vinegar. Put lids on & store in cool place. I always use the brought spiced vinegar. Have tried making my own but it doesnt taste as nice.
They wouldnt be ready for xmas. Best left at least 2 months