Butter chicken

blue45, Mar 3, 12:44am
Does anybody have a nice authentic make from scratch recipe?? please

karenz, Mar 3, 2:31am
You add your own fresh ingredients like butter, cream, tomato puree, ginger, garlic and yogurt but the SPICE N EASY range tastes amazing, the best I have ever tried and that includes restaurants, it has 6 little packets of the authentic spices and you cook in stages but it is really worth the effort.They also do a Korma which is just as nice.

leebee35, Mar 3, 5:25am
If you use the search function on the right hand side you will locate many recipes on here... good luck

lea18, Apr 2, 5:12am
google myspicemix.... absolutely yummo

kdenz, Apr 4, 1:30am
I use this on a regular basis and my kids love it too.
500g diced chicken
50g butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 finely chopped onion
3/4 cup cream (I use a 300 ml bottle)
4 tbsp tomato paste ( I use the 130g watties tin)
1 1/2 tsp each turmeric / nutmeg / ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp cornflour (mixed with some of the cream)

Method:
Mix the tumeric, nutmeg & cumin with the chicken meat. In a large fry pan sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until soft. Add chicken mix to the pan. Add the tomato paste and Garam Masala. Stir in the cream and simmer till cooked.

If the sauce thickens too much (I sometimes use too much cornflour) you can thin it out by adding a bit of milk - helps to increase the volume of the gravy if you need to stretch the meal out for any extras. Our family of 2 Adults & 2 children will eat all of this on rice and a piece (half for kids) of roti each.
I found a handy double ended measuring spoon at my chemists with 5ml & 2.5 mls. Was sold as a medicine spoon but I find it handy for measuring out my spices.

lizab, Apr 4, 1:50am
I use exactly the same recipe kdenz - the kids love it being lightly spiced and creamy. (actually the recipe I have has a little sugar in it too)

kdenz, Apr 4, 11:35pm
The recipe I had listed sugar too but there were no instructions on what to do with it in the method part so I always just left it out.

vintagekitty, Apr 4, 11:41pm
who was the trader selling butter chicken mix on here?, does anyone know. People were saying hers was nice

iriegirl, Apr 6, 5:28am
I have conncocted this using several different recipes and trail and error! Everybody reckons its as good as an indian restaurant!
Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

800g boneless chicken breast or thighs
1 T lemon juice
1 t kashmiri chilli powder
½ t salt
2 T butter, melted

Marinade
1 C yoghurt
½ t salt
2 cloves garlic crushed
½ t garam masala
1 t kashmiri chilli powder
2 T crushed fresh ginger
2 T lemon juice
2 T mustard oil

For the makhni gravy
50g butter
6 whole green cardamoms
6 whole cloves
6 whole black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 T fresh ginger, crushed
1 T crushed garlic
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1tin tomato puree (410g)
½ T kashmirichilli powder
1t garam masala
½ t salt
! C water
½ t dry fenugreek leaves (optional)
1 C cream

Make incisions with sharp knife in the chicken, mix lemon juice, chilli powder and salt together and rub into the chicken.
Set aside for ½ an hour. Mix together all ingredients for the marinade, and rub thoroughly into the chicken, refrigerate for three to four hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 200oC and bake the chicken for ten to twelve minutes, then baste with the melted butter. Set aside whilst making the gravy.
Heat butter in a pan. In a pestle and mortar lightly bruise the green cardamoms, cloves and peppercorns. Add these to the pan with the cinnamon stick and sauté for two minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, chopped chillies and cook a further two minutes. Add the tomato puree, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes, add fenugreek leaves (if using). Dice the cooked chicken and add to pan, simmer for a further five minutes then add cream. Serve hot with naan.

Notes: Try to use the kashmiri chilli powder as it helps give the dish the wonderful red colouring and is milder and sweeter than other chilli powders.

summer8, Sep 22, 7:09am
Is this anything remotely like the Mall Butter Chicken!

tarshlove, Sep 22, 7:33am
TBH I have tryed sooo many different packets and jars of Butter chicken sauces.
I have found Asian Home Gourmet Is the best.
It's easy, good price, good creamy consistency( I find the SPICE N EASY mix to grainy.)
The only thing different i do is addsome chopped dried fenugreek.

sarahb5, Sep 22, 7:40am
And I would have agreed with you about the AHG one until I tried the one sold on here

iriegirl, Sep 22, 7:46am
summer8, not sure if it tastes like the mall one or not, but everyone I'd made it for reckons it tastes as good, if not better! I would recommend trying it cos the time is worth the effort :o)

shazzie10, Sep 22, 8:02am
Iriegirl, Where do you get kashmiri chilli powder from! Thanks

tarshlove, Sep 22, 8:10am
Does yours have cumin in it as my partner is highly allergic to it. Vomits so badly from it. web addy!

sarahb5, Sep 22, 8:18am
Sorry looks like it does - in the garam masala

http://www.butterchicken.co.nz/ingredients

tarshlove, Sep 22, 8:57am
Oh yeah I did look at this one but yes it has garam masala which as you said contains cumin lol well I'm more than happy with the asian home gourmet one :o)

iriegirl, Sep 22, 9:09am
shazzie10, I used to getit locally at the asian warehouse, which is sadly no more, but you can get it here,http://www.spicesupermarket.co.nz/products/details/chilli-kashmiri-250gms or http://www.edibleplanet.co.nz/edible-planet-kashmiri-chilli-powder.htmlor http://www.namastefoodandspices.co.nz/kashmiri-chilly-chilli-powder-xidp254106.htmli have brought goods from all of these pllaces and can recommend them :o)

buzzy110, Sep 23, 4:04am
Here is uli's recipe which silvertiger has just made and found to be delicious:

I used all the dry ingredients in that recipe to coat some chicken pieces and roast on a rack and it really was delicious:

ULI'S BUTTER CHICKEN
Here is my "secret" recipe - (And this comes from an old Indian friend - so from the "horses mouth"):

You need:
150ml yoghurt
50g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
400g tomatoes (tinned)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1kg chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
75g butter
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
4 tbsp cream

Place the yogurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
Then put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Set aside.

Melt together the butter and oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well.

Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Garnish the butter chicken with the remaining chopped coriander and serve the chicken curry.

That is what I do since years - and it always comes out fantastic.