Cheese slicers..

Page 1 / 2
urbanrefugee54, Feb 25, 8:42pm
so far in the last month I've bought 4x & might have to resort to buying the commercial cheese slices if I can't find something that:
a). my partner who has limited grip can use
b). lasts longer than a week without breaking
c).works to cut the refridgerated 1kg edam [which ever brand is cheapest] I use...
I used to use the wand type that had wire & you were able to cut think on one side & thin on the other but after purchases at different places [although they look alike] having them break after only a short time.. and have bought one from a shop that had wire & looked like it had a roller - but when I actually used it, the roller doesn't turn & drags on the cheese.. is it me or do other people have problems cutting cheese that isn't too thick for grilling - do you have one you recomend??

urbanrefugee54, Feb 25, 8:42pm
so far in the last month I've bought 4x & might have to resort to buying the commercial cheese slices if I can't find something that:
a). my partner who has limited grip can use
b). lasts longer than a week without breaking
c).works to cut the refridgerated 1kg edam [which ever brand is cheapest] I use.
I used to use the wand type that had wire & you were able to cut think on one side & thin on the other but after purchases at different places [although they look alike] having them break after only a short time. and have bought one from a shop that had wire & looked like it had a roller - but when I actually used it, the roller doesn't turn & drags on the cheese. is it me or do other people have problems cutting cheese that isn't too thick for grilling - do you have one you recomend!

ant_sonja, Feb 25, 8:50pm
Those cheese boards with the inbuilt wire cutter (guillotine style) are pretty good. We have a very old retro style one that still works a treat but it is a smaller version so 1kg of cheese would need to be pre- cut into smaller blocks. Other than that - we mainly use a large, sharp wide blade knife.

tarshlove, Feb 25, 9:36pm
Do you put them through the dishwasher as i find this makes the plastic around the wire brittle and not last very long at all

cookessentials, Feb 25, 10:05pm
The "Sun" brand is NZ made...we sell truckloads of them and I have yet to have anyone bring one back. You can also use the metal slice...like a cake server with the slit in it that you drag across the cheese. Or you can go for a "Chef'n Cheese Machine" which as a guillotine device and it also stores the cheese. I think there is also a similar one which is more basic either by Cuisena or Progressive...will have to check the catalogue. The chefn will only take up to 500g blocks though.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 10:05pm
The "Sun" brand is NZ made.we sell truckloads of them and I have yet to have anyone bring one back. You can also use the metal slice.like a cake server with the slit in it that you drag across the cheese. Or you can go for a "Chef'n Cheese Machine" which as a guillotine device and it also stores the cheese. I think there is also a similar one which is more basic either by Cuisena or Progressive.will have to check the catalogue. The chefn will only take up to 500g blocks though.

mumstu, Feb 25, 10:09pm
check out Stevens? they have all sorts of kitchen gadgets that might be better?

mumstu, Feb 25, 10:09pm
check out Stevens! they have all sorts of kitchen gadgets that might be better!

campmum, Feb 25, 10:19pm
cookessentials wrote:
The "Sun" brand is NZ made...we sell truckloads of them and I have yet to have anyone bring one back.

Are you able to put up a listing for them???I too have the same problem...don't make them like they use too!

campmum, Feb 25, 10:19pm
cookessentials wrote:
The "Sun" brand is NZ made.we sell truckloads of them and I have yet to have anyone bring one back.

Are you able to put up a listing for them!I too have the same problem.don't make them like they use too!

pickles7, Feb 25, 10:38pm
Are you on commission....campmum... this is not the first time you have requested a listing from.... cooksessentials....

pickles7, Feb 25, 10:38pm
Are you on commission.campmum. this is not the first time you have requested a listing from. cooksessentials.

urbanrefugee54, Feb 25, 10:42pm
am rural chch & closest shops are Hornby & even there less than half the shops are open - it could be months before I venture out the other suburbs/malls where they have shops & I know some of the other malls suffered damage.. I go to work & come home & have done one trip to Hornby supermarket Thurs

urbanrefugee54, Feb 25, 10:42pm
am rural chch & closest shops are Hornby & even there less than half the shops are open - it could be months before I venture out the other suburbs/malls where they have shops & I know some of the other malls suffered damage. I go to work & come home & have done one trip to Hornby supermarket Thurs

tarshlove, Feb 25, 11:10pm
Do you put them through the dishwasher?? As above

tarshlove, Feb 25, 11:10pm
Do you put them through the dishwasher! As above

urbanrefugee54, Feb 26, 12:13am
no.. don' have a dishwasher..

urbanrefugee54, Feb 26, 12:13am
no. don' have a dishwasher.

campmum, Feb 26, 12:24am
I wish pickles7 :) First time I have ever ask for a listing from anyone on trademe..I would love to know where to buy one of this brand as I have hunted through tauranga , mount & bayfair to no avail...any help would be great

campmum, Feb 26, 12:24am
I wish pickles7 :) First time I have ever ask for a listing from anyone on trademe.I would love to know where to buy one of this brand as I have hunted through tauranga , mount & bayfair to no avail.any help would be great

jubellsrose, Feb 26, 12:29am
common potato peeler is what we use.

cookessentials, Feb 26, 12:38am
I have never had such a request from campmum and very raely from anyone else, thanks.

tarshlove, Mar 6, 11:27pm

marob2, Mar 6, 11:52pm
Sun brand cheese slicers available at Warehouse.Webought two last week around $7.00 each, IMO the best and longest lasting brand that I have tried.

dilligaf_dah, Mar 7, 1:17am
we use the cheese slicers that are made from stainless steel look like a egg/pavolava slice scoop ... flat bottom and has a gap near the top Most dutch shops have them but so do a lot of op shops. warehouse. K mart. etc.I have had nmine for over 40 years and my kids have had there ones for years now too now its the grandies time and theyhave had theirs for 3 years so good to buy and easy to use even with my old hands.