How much would you pay for bacon and eggs

Page 6 / 7
jaybee2003, Mar 2, 3:07am
Eggs? Serve yourself? Buffet style?I have to assume they will be scrambled and scrambled only?
To this day, neither in NZ nor around the world, have I seen poached eggs, or omlettes on offer in a buffet/smorgasboard selection under bain-maries. And I sincerely hope I never do . The scrambled egg is bad enough.
Scrambled egg is best eaten as soon as possible in my opinion. Personally, if you are stuck on doing this catering, I'd charge a litlte more, offer poached, boiled in shell, scrambled egg, fried eggs, omlettes - cook to order - and do it well.

A Hotel I stayed at in Old Town Warsaw had a unique "how not to overcook or ruin an egg on standing" solution for self serve. The ONLY option for breakfast was soft boiled eggs in shell, standing in a pot of warm water, DIY toast, butter, salt and pepper, and loads and loads of strong coffee.Every day for 10 days. Damn good breakfast for the hungry tourist - cheap too.

knowsley, Mar 2, 5:35am
I don't think I contradicted myself at all - if my end price4 comes out to be higher than everyone else's for the same thing, I need to drop my end price, irrespective of what my costs are. the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 was the ideal, but if I was more expensive, I'd adjust. To blindly charge solely based on costs will see you out of business if you are not competitive.

knowsley, Mar 2, 6:03am
Well, you do it your way, we did it ours. Worked out very well for us, and the cafe was sold at a great profit once we wanted to move on. More than one way to skin a cat.

cookessentials, Mar 2, 7:14am
Goodness, such a simple question but so many complex answers LOL

hestia, Mar 2, 7:17am
And, if there is no demand for added value?

pickles7, Mar 2, 9:34am
this thread is getting better and better.

duckmoon, Mar 2, 10:45am
that is the norm for the hospitality industry.
the cost of the dish, also needs staff, power, premises.

knowsley, Mar 2, 10:59am
Once again taken to the extreme. Ok then, how long do you think a place in South Auckland would last if it charged Hilton prices for its food, compared to the place 2 doors down! You compare with your competitors, not the whole of the marketplace.

fisher, Mar 2, 11:41am
hestia wrote:
Price is not determined by costs.
Price is determined by supply and demand.

SOOOOOOO what would you base the initial "price" on !
Based on the market price, what others are charging for it.

These are the statements I am disagreeing with.

It should have read.
Price is determined by costs but sometimes needs to be changed because of supply and demand.
This is in essence what you are saying knowsley in post #72 . I'm sure new cafe owners dont go around to the opposition in the area and see on the sign board. Bacon and eggs with toast 14.00 . so think. ok's we'll charge 12.00 without knowing what "ALL" the relative costs go into achieving their overall costs to make a profit for the dish. .Quite simply their purchasing power may not be anywhere near as good as the oppositions and their overheads also. Once they have INITIALLY costed out the dish based on their outgoings, only then will they be able to determine if they can be competitive.

jaybee2003, Mar 3, 3:07am
Eggs! Serve yourself! Buffet style!I have to assume they will be scrambled and scrambled only!
To this day, neither in NZ nor around the world, have I seen poached eggs, or omlettes on offer in a buffet/smorgasboard selection under bain-maries. And I sincerely hope I never do . The scrambled egg is bad enough.
Scrambled egg is best eaten as soon as possible in my opinion. Personally, if you are stuck on doing this catering, I'd charge a litlte more, offer poached, boiled in shell, scrambled egg, fried eggs, omlettes - cook to order - and do it well.

A Hotel I stayed at in Old Town Warsaw had a unique "how not to overcook or ruin an egg on standing" solution for self serve. The ONLY option for breakfast was soft boiled eggs in shell, standing in a pot of warm water, DIY toast, butter, salt and pepper, and loads and loads of strong coffee.Every day for 10 days. Damn good breakfast for the hungry tourist - cheap too.

hestia, Mar 3, 7:17am
And, if there is no demand for added value!

uli, Mar 9, 6:39am
Thanks for the laugh hestia!

buzzy110, Mar 9, 8:23am
You and I must go to different places. Every hotel I have ever stayed at, in NZ or elsewhere has offered fried and poached eggs, as well as scrambled, in the buffet/bain marie. Omelettes, on the other hand,are usually made to order.

uli, Mar 9, 8:42am
Well interestingly enough I have just seen them the last few days - and even ate them :)
On offer at the breakfast buffet (in bain marie's) were: poached eggs, fried eggs, omelettes and scrambled eggs. While the first 3 were made from real eggs and tasted very good (the omelettes even had a version where spinach and parmesan was folded in) - the scrambled eggs were obviously notmade from fresh eggs, but some terrible dried egg powder mix and were not edible (to me - others relished them) .

pickles7, Mar 9, 9:53am
YUCKKKK were the scrambled eggs orange, uli???What made it obvious, to you..

antoniab, Mar 9, 7:09pm
If it was free range eggs and bacon and good bread, not white toast, then I would pay over $20.
For crappy pale battery chook eggs and watery bacon on white toast (I wouldnt buy it to begin with) but I wouldnt pay over $7.

lyl_guy, Mar 9, 8:00pm
I would not pay $20 for B&E in a cafe!The most I can recall paying was about $18 in a lovely vineyard up North, where it included breakfast sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes.Beautiful.Around the 'burbs of Auckland I pay about $8 - $10, but that's excluding coffee, or juice.

kay141, Mar 9, 8:07pm
I refuse to eat eggs that have been kept hot, which usually means luke-warm, even in top end hotels. I prefer my yolks soft and that means freshly cooked. Also the thought of all those other people dipping in and out and breathing on my luke-warm eggs is so yuck.

pickles7, Mar 10, 7:33am
You are not wronge there. I watched a football team eating out of a self serve food bar once all with jusy one spoon each, it was a shocker.

buzzy110, Mar 10, 8:23am
You and I must go to different places. Every hotel I have ever stayed at, in NZ or elsewhere has offered fried and poached eggs, as well as scrambled, in the buffet/bain marie. Omelettes, on the other hand,are usually made to order.

Edited to add: And I usually stay at top end hotels with a vested interest in not poisoning their guests.

uli, Mar 10, 8:42am
Well interestingly enough I have just seen them the last few days - and even ate them :)
On offer at the breakfast buffet (in bain marie's) were: poached eggs, fried eggs, omelettes and scrambled eggs. While the first 3 were made from real eggs and tasted very good (the omelettes even had a version where spinach and parmesan was folded in) - the scrambled eggs were obviously notmade from fresh eggs, but some terrible dried egg powder mix and were not edible (to me - others relished them) .

uli, Mar 10, 8:48am
We all know that you cannot keep soft yolk cooked eggs warm - everybody would know that they turn into hard boiled eggs very quickly - which is why they are NOT in the bain marie's of any hotel! However it was very necessary to post something - anything - after a post I made ... aye kay?

Also if you have ever eaten anything from a hotel breakfast buffet then you would know that the staff is hovering around the buffet all the time and that especially eggs are re-filled with new stuff every 15 to 20 minutes ... so everything is quite hot and fresh ... I certainly had nothing lukewarm at all. Maybe you need to add a few more stars when you go next time.

pickles7, Mar 10, 9:53am
YUCKKKK were the scrambled eggs orange, uli!What made it obvious, to you.

kay141, Mar 10, 7:03pm
I thought 5 stars was enough . How long since you stayed in a hotel?
As I said, I don't eat hotel buffets at all. Even with the staff hovering around as you say, nothing is really hot, Other guests are still dipping into the dishes and breathing on them. I would much rather go out and have it freshly cooked for me.

kay141, Mar 10, 7:43pm
As well, most top hotels are willing to supply a fresh breakfast for regular guests.
I don't do buffets for any meal.