After school snacks for starving/fussy teen

Page 2 / 3
buzzy110, Feb 24, 2:36am
What can I say to make it better in Christchurch elli? I am in Auckland and I can do nothing. What difference will any noises I make, have on the tragedy that has unfolded in our lifetime? I cannot alter what has occurred. It serves no useful purpose if I fall to pieces. If I could help, I'd be there helping in a flash. If it were Hamilton or some other part of Auckland than where I lived, I'd be in, boots and all. I wish I could help. I see that all your noises of sorrow and pity have made not one iota of difference to situation of the good people of Christchurch. Those affected are still affected. Those who can help are and those who are sitting by whilst others endure, are. Tell me what I can do elli and I'll see if I can do it from a distance. You have no idea how much I may have contributed or any other thing about me and I'm not bragging about it here.

lythande1, Feb 24, 2:37am
That's because their bloody parents drive them to school instead of like in the OLD DAYS when they got off their bums and walked. But no the little precious might break now.
That's why they're all fat.

elliehen, Feb 24, 2:43am
Stop going on and on and on about your concave stomach and your perfect body and that you've never had a day's illness in your life and that you know precisely how to cure everyone's condition through diet yada yada yada....

It is all so trivial, and makes Christchurch people coming to the messageboards for comfort and support feel sick.

buzzy110, Feb 24, 2:50am
Duh. I have not made a single comment along the lines you have posted since the quake. However, One would begin to wonder at the genuiness of your posting, considering, that with all the troubles in Chch, you and all your mates still have time to sit at your computers attacking me and offering other suggestions throughout these messageboards that are not related to the tragedy.

You know the only person whose sole focus has been on the earthquake has been bedazzled.

So take a leaf out of your own book people and if you concentrate on the earthquake I will too.I've already read the Herald and seen the photos of grief, death and destruction. I have looked up the death tolls of Tangiwai (151 dead) Napier (256 dead) Wahine (51 dead) and remembered that we have had other losses that were as bad.

melissaliam, Feb 24, 2:54am
Isnt this a thread for hungry fussy teenages.....

Come on guys...... Honestly

vintagekitty, Feb 24, 2:59am
great post ellie

vintagekitty, Feb 24, 3:01am
Well we just stopped in at Mcdonalds and it was GREAT!

vintagekitty, Feb 24, 3:06am
lythande, you always sound (post) so angry. I disagree, most kids I know walk or bike, play sport and in my case all of the above plus after school jobs

thejewellerybox, Feb 24, 3:42am
Back to the original point,can you ask the teen what they want to eat, then teach them to cook it?Most teens are more than capable of cooking snacks! My teen son likes to make his own omelettes, toasted sammies,sometimes a burger or two , occasionallyhe'll even make a batch of pikelets.Your teen will appreciatethe cooking lessons when they go flatting - and their future flatmates will appreciate it too!

uli, Feb 24, 3:51am
Not really - but instead of "Berries, soymilk, eggs, brewers yeast, flaxseed oil, banana. Give them some fat too" ...
you could simply use berries, cream (or coconut cream if dairy free) and banana - much faster.

uli, Feb 24, 3:57am
I would dispute the "burn off" fact here - the teenagers drive by bus - or their parents drive them - they neither walk nor cycle to school - you may be able to do that in the city but not here.

Upon coming home they do homework and then sit at the computer, play station and watch videos or tv. The odd one will have some after school sports.

They sit around as much as their office bound parents - and so they need fresh real food not "Pies, toasties, muffins, b/f cereal, noodles, half a loaf of bread, jam, pizza, peanut butter, crackers and bakery cheapies...." as advocated above.

morticia, Feb 24, 3:59am
If they are starving, they won't be fussy. If they are fussy, they aren't that hungry. Be the grown up and tell them to harden up and eat what's provided or go hungry.

elliehen, Feb 24, 4:24am
It must be different in your part of the rural North.Here - in rural Nelson - many still cycle considerable distances to school.

Most of them, not the 'odd' one, also play sports - it's a rural tradition.If you're unaware because you haven't personally been involved in their sporting activities, just pick up any local freebie newspaper and read all the reports of what's happening in your area.You'll be surprised.

dollertree, Feb 24, 4:24am
Agree with morticia. I think we have more than enoughfood for our kids nowadays and they end up fussy and choosey that should stop. Just get one or two food out and make them eat from that or go hungry. My children will eat what i give to them.....they do have choices but i decide when and what.

uli, Feb 24, 4:50am
Too hilly here to cycle for most. And yes they do sports here too - once a week on Saturday morning :) Not sure if that will cover all those after school snacks ...

ant_sonja, Feb 24, 4:56am

elliehen, Feb 24, 6:18am
Hills here too :)The kids actually seek out the rugged mountain bike tracks - new ones being created all the time - and ride motocross in the forestry firebreaks.They're also active daily in the skateboard parks.Every suburb has at the very least a half-pipe.

And the competitive sports matches are on Saturdays, but just see them during the week at training - cricket players in the nets, rugby teens doing pre-season jogging to improve fitness, touch rugby teams (mixed boys and girls) with mid-week games, kids having a hit on the tennis courts...

You must be either out of sight of these activities or out of touch with children.

cookessentials, Feb 24, 8:05am
High percentage of children here is the Wairarapa walk to school and get plenty of exercise and fresh air.

uli, Feb 24, 8:10am
I am glad you know all about my home town ellie :)
In future I will ask you if I have any questions - rather than read the local papers or even check with the local kids ...

elliehen, Feb 24, 8:35am
All I know is what you've posted on these boards, uli - often a daily record of your doings...not always riveting, but interesting enough at times.

I remember you once posted that you were a bit anxious about the introduction of the [then] new search function because past posts could come back to haunt you ;)

jwn1, Feb 24, 9:31am
Unable to get back on the computer last night, to check on any advice from anyone... I turned it on a few minutes ago, I cannot believe the amount of responses that I've had.It is interesting to note what kind of emotion, a question regarding a childs diet can stir up in people.
Just to set the record straight for anyone that is wanting to know - my question was simply aimed at any advice regarding food that your teen may eat.I did not by any stretch of the imagination, think it would end up in a shit slinging match of people's emotions.
My son is a very thin boy, aged twelve, he can cook far better than most his age, he has aspergers, which to those who are unaware, is neither selfish, stupid, lazy or ignorant - he is still a child that does not need to 'harden up', but be fed food as fuel and too be cared for.Which, as a stay at home Mum of several children, I do as best as I can.
Parents need to stop competing and start helping each other, thats the bane of our life.

cj707, Feb 24, 10:30am
Uli, good idea about the coconut cream.I havn't had much time to think about the recipe as I've been trying to help my daughter out with her newborn.Oh I added honey as well for calories, I forgot, and thought it wasn't too bad as a quick start for the morning.There's some fat in the egg yolks as well as protein from the whites.I know the soy is cr*p and full of sugar but it was a bit of a concession.Anyway it's done the trick and her milk is making a very strong boy.I reckon there's at least 500 calories in each smoothie.By the way my other daughter put on weight with a low carb diet and it helped tremendously with her moods and emotions after she had her first baby.

talent.scout, Feb 24, 10:40am
LMAO!I didnt say the ONLY source, and I also didnt list all the fast food and convenience foods, obviously.Relax.I didnt have time, and couldnt be bothered with writing a novel based on weight and health issues.

When I was a teen, we didnt eat bought crap.After school, if my mum wasntat work, she may have made a huge pot of soup and scones for us after school... otherwise I used to eat fruit, toast or that horrid breakfast cereal you are having a heart attack over.I am a healthy, active and fit adult.So are my siblings.You would be very ignorant, to ignore the effects of fast food on our society.

talent.scout, Feb 24, 10:43am
hey Uli.... speaking of coconut cream..... can you eat that when low carbing?

Ive been doing no / low carb for a litttle while, and wondered if Raw fish in coconut cream was ok!

elliehen, Feb 24, 10:48am
jwn1, I hope your thread stays on track from here on and that you get many good suggestions and no more unasked-for criticism of your parenting skills, which, with Asperger's Syndrome in the family, will have been thoroughly tested and proven already.