After school snacks for school children?

xstar019, Jun 15, 9:34am
When my 5 year old comes home after school he is very hungry.I normally offer him fruit and youghurt/milk.But now he does not want to have youghurt or milk.I am very keen to know about the food you offer your kids after school.Thank you in advance.

tania007, Jun 15, 10:23am
Sticks of fruit and vegies with yoghurt or salsa dip, rice crackers with humus, cheese and crackers, mini muffins, cheese and marmite toast, dried fruit, fresh fruit arranged on plate or sometimes sandwich etc and usually always glass milk or milo etc.

alebix, Jun 15, 11:05am
1 piece of fruit or 1 yoghurt
rice crackers, 1 biscuit, 1 muffin or other baking we have.

i try not to fill them up as dinner is around 5pm.

amazing_grace, Jun 15, 8:37pm
Have a look on our website www.chchcheapliving.weebly.com, there are some ideas, like Marmite Busters...etc.Here is the link to the Lunchbox pagehttp://chchcheapliving.weebly.com/the-school-lunchbox.html

darlingmole, Jun 15, 9:23pm
I'm with alebix ... diner is around 5pm so it's just something to tide them over.A cheese or peanut butter sandwich, a boiled egg, cheese'n'crackers, banana, piece of toast ... nothing much, just enough to take the edge off because I actually still want them hungry enough to eat diner!

norse_westie, Jun 15, 9:29pm
I pretty much offer vegie sticks and hummus every afternoon, and fruit. Sometimes toast, sometimes homemade cake. Buttered weetbix - makes my stomach clench but they love it. Boiled eggs, cheese and apple on toothpicks (roll apple in lemon juice to prevent browning and it adds a delicious zing). Homemade popcorn by the bucketfull.

grolaunshucar, Jun 15, 10:34pm
We have dinner after school and snack if we feel like it.

b190, Jun 15, 11:01pm
grolaunshucar, do you mean that you eat dinner straight after school and then have a snack later on if wanted....?

nzl99, Jun 15, 11:08pm
I have a 12 year old boychild and an 11 year old girlchild... anyone would think I starve them until they get home from school with how much they are eating!BUT... I digress.Weetabix... they eat tonnes of them.

malcovy, Jun 16, 12:42am
What a good idea, the kids would be hungry enough to get lots of vegies and protein, it would full them up and then have a healthy snack later on.I know that when we eat Christmas dinner at lunchtime then that does me for the rest of the day.I don't like pigging out anymore at Xmas as I don't like that overfull feeling, it ruins a good meal.

b190, Jun 16, 12:57am
Plus it's not great to go to bed on a full tummy so that's not a silly idea at all! I know that ballerina's eat their main meal of the day at lunch and only a small dinner.

carolyn20, Jun 16, 1:02am
A milk drink, some fruit usually banana, toasted crumpets are a hit at the moment. They also like eating breakfast cereals like honey puffs, cornflakes etc in a small bowl without milk.

elliehen, Jun 16, 10:10am
Reminds me of a paediatrician who said parents get too hung up on what is appropriate for kids at any given meal.He suggested giving them the previous night's leftovers for breakfast, instead of cereal, if that's what appealed to them.

marie196, Jun 17, 12:09am
my kids eat dinner at 4- 4.30.They are STARVING and eat whatever I put down including half a plate of veges and lastnight 4 potatoes!

greerg, Jun 17, 5:17am
Banana sandwichesand apple and cinnamon toastie pies were favourites here after school and are still "comfort food" for my young adult children.They also think cereal is an anytime meal whereas for me its just for breakfast and leftover casserole for breakfast makes me feel vaguely ill to think asbout but the boys were both very keen on it.

xstar019, Jun 17, 7:45am
very interesting.Thank you

macandrosie, Jun 18, 7:29am
when my son hit 13 years old he had a huge growth spurt. I think he grew 6" in 8 months. He never took lunch to school but when he got off the bus he grazed from 4.30pm till bedtime! He certainly ate more than his dad! Now he's 19 years old still has a good appetite, not quite as big! I'm not a big fan of milk. In real terms it's an infant food for mammals & they weened from it. We don't need masses of the stuff in our diets.

macandrosie, Jun 18, 7:31am
when my son hit 13 years old he had a huge growth spurt. I think he grew 6" in 8 months. He never took lunch to school but when he got off the bus he grazed from 4.30pm till bedtime! He certainly ate more than his dad! Now he's 19 years old still has a good appetite, not quite as big! I'm not a big fan of milk. In real terms it's an infant food for mammals & they weened from it. We don't need masses of the stuff in our diets. Simple foods & cereals hit the spot too!