What are your secrets to make successful Raspberry

17007, Feb 20, 11:44pm
Jam??

valentino, Feb 21, 1:31am
Good electronic kitchen Scales.

Similar weight ratio of fruit and sugar with just enough water moisture to start with.

Bring to boil very slowly to dissolve sugar, simmer over low heat (to reduce sufficient liquid) for a while until jam is pulped and thickened to liking.

This is all I do and with most fruits, very similar.

Cheers.

cookessentials, Feb 21, 1:53am
Raspberry jam is one of the easiest jams to make, especially for beginner jam makers.
From my website:

Raspberry jam is great for beginners as it sets so well and is one of the easiest jams to make. There is nothing like fresh scones with a dollop of home-made raspberry jam and freshly whipped cream!
Ingredients:
1 kg raspberries
1 kg castor sugar
Method:
Rinse the raspberries and shake off excess moisture. Make sure there is no mouldy fruit. Place the fruit in a preserving pan and gradually bring to the boil. Gradually stir in the sugar into the boiling fruit, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until a setting point is reached. Skim away any scum that rises. Allow the bubbles to subside and bottle into hot sterilised jars. Seal and label when cold.

robyn35, Feb 21, 6:18am
could I use the same recipe to make plum jam?thanks

valentino, Feb 21, 6:28am
robyn35, yes to either, Pam noted more detailed method which is very good.
The key is ensure the sugar is dissolved before the boil.

If the sugar is not dissolved before the boil, the jam could have that sugary crystal effect - not nice.

Cheers

cgvl, Feb 21, 8:52am
rather than skimming or trying to skim the scum off, I was taught to add a knob (about the size of a walnut) of butter just before bottling and stir well. This does for some reason remove the scum as if by magic, use it with all berry fruit jams.

birdfeeder, Feb 21, 9:07am
Can anyonetell me if greengages can be used in the same way to make jam?

susieq9, Feb 21, 9:23am
I have also found that you don't need as much sugar. I made plum jam and only used 2/3d's of the amount of sugar and the jam has set great and also the jars sealed. When opened will keep in the fridge.

summersunnz, May 9, 4:04pm
Me too Susie - has a lovely tart real-fruit taste too.