Raspberry Jelly lammingtons.

spot43, Feb 14, 1:45am
Please does anyone have a fail proof recipe for raspberry lammingtons, as need to make a orange version for my son's 4th birthday cake this weekend

margyr, Feb 14, 1:57am
just buy sponge at supermarket (trifle), cut into squares, make jelly and while still runny dip the sponge in and then roll in coconut. You have to work fairly quickly otherwise your lamingtons get soggy. Put them onto a cake cooling rack to set.

caro25, Feb 14, 2:12am
or you can make a white runny icing and just use food colour

cookessentials, Feb 14, 2:25am
Strawberry Jelly Cakes ( or raspberry)

125g butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
110g caster sugar
2 eggs
1.5 cupsself-raising flour
(80ml) milk
80g packet strawberry jelly
150g shredded or flaked coconut
1/2 cup thickened cream

Preheat oven to moderate 180C Grease deep 23cm square cake pan; line base with baking paper.

Beat butter, vanilla extract and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir in flour and milk until smooth; spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes; turn top-side up , onto wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, make jelly according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate until set to the consistency of an unbeaten egg white.

Cut cake into 36 squares; dip each square into jelly then coconut. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat cream in small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Serve cakes with cream.

If you dont want to make your own cake, buy a sponge and folloow the rest of the instructions above.

spot43, Feb 14, 7:21am
thank you, will give it go with both icing and jelly. many thanks once again

pickles7, Feb 14, 7:48am
lamington dip.. chocolate.. raspberry

Chocolate dip.. 5 Tbsp each butter, cocoa... 1 cup of boiling water, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 675 grams of icing sugar. Mix until smooth. Dip frozen sponge squares into chocolate, toss in coconut, set on rack to dry.

Raspberry dip.. melt two pkts of raspberry jelly in 2 cups of boiling water*** set***melt over hot water. This step is worth the time.
I would buy a slab of trifle sponge, scrape off the dark top, before freezing.
Dip frozen sponge squares into jelly, toss in coconut, set on rack to dry. enjoy

gardie, Feb 14, 8:00am
Second this but do wait until the jelly is syrupy or it soaks into the sponge too much.

ladeda, Feb 14, 8:04am
For the boss:

Cut squares of foam rubber (an old mattress will do) and dip in jelly and coconut as above.

Serve with Sunlight Soap (cheese) crackers.

jessie981, Feb 14, 8:15am
For zingy flavour, add 1/4tsp citric acid to jelly

momma1, Feb 14, 8:30am
i have made a birthday cake with various coloured jellies and put the lamingtons into the shape of the number of the age of child. make the jelly up and wait until it is not set but not runny and then dip sponge into it. if the jelly starts to set too much then heat slightly and start again.

elliehen, Feb 14, 8:30am
Like the cat's Biscats coated in chocolate??

juliewn, Feb 14, 11:58am
I do the same.. they freeze very well too.. and actually have been known to be eaten straight from the freezer.. :-)

spot43, Feb 15, 12:06am
thanks for all these tips.might even try the one for the boss could be fun!!!

griffo4, 4 days, 12 hours
l buy or make a sponge then put it in the freezer till l need it and then make up my icing and then pull sponge out of freezer and cut into sizes and dip in jelly mix and it doesn't soak up as much of the liquid
l also do it with my chocolate lamingtons
lt doesn't freeze solid so easy to work with
l made yellow ones for Daffodil day using a jelly and some food colouring to get the rich yellow colour, yum
The white chocolate ones that someone put on here last year are addictive and can be eaten out of the freezer if they last that long,lol