Choc chip biscuit help

rarkl, Feb 19, 6:30am
All the recipes I have tried make flat crunchy biscuits. I am looking for a recipe (or hint) for a thick chewey biscuit.
I tried a recipe today with loads of brown sugar and an extra yolk and they came out flat as.

shellbell13, Feb 19, 6:53am
For some reason I find mine come out better whenI do them on baking paper and only JUST cook them.

rarkl, Feb 19, 8:17am
I did the second tray like that and they still went flat and nasty

greerg, Feb 19, 8:20am
These ones are thick and chewy.
225 grms butter, ¾ cup white sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar,
1 teasp vanilla, 2 large eggs, 2¼ cups flour, ½ teasp salt, 1 level teasp baking soda,
300 grms dark chocolate buttons:Preheat oven to180o C.Cream butter and sugar then add vanilla and eggs (1 at a time).Mix dry ingredients except chocolate and add, scraping down the sides to blend.Mix in chocolate.Put in large teaspoonfuls on trays allowing plenty of room for expansion.Bake for ten minutes.Biscuits will still be soft but they harden as they cool.Should be pale golden.

kinna54, Feb 19, 8:28am
The Edmonds book vanilla biscuit recipe. (It has been posted on here before.)
Replace sultanas with choc chips. Also when you roll out the mix and flatten, use a lightly flour dusted small round bottom glass to push down. Makes biccies more even. made these on Fri, and they were yummy. Enjoy

nik12, Feb 19, 10:13am
If you've got the edmonds book, do the hokey pokey biscuits.
Make sure your butter is only soft, not melted when you cream it.
Add about 1/2 cup of extra flour - slowly, you want don't want to make the mixture too dry, depending on the butter you might only add 1/4C extra.Then cook them at a slighly lower temp than it says - I think it says 180 and I do 160, and don't over cook them.They'll still be a wee bit squishy to push when you take them out.Be gental when you take the tray out and let them cool a bit before moving them to a cooling rack.

kinna54, Feb 19, 10:16pm
Apparently the vanilla bic recipe is not in the latest Edmonds book edition so will re-post it

Vanilla Biscuits

125g butter
125g sugar
Vanilla essence (few drops)
1 egg
225g flour
1tsp baking powder
50g sultanas ( replace with choc chips if desired) You can use extra choc chips if desired.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence together, add egg, then mix in dry ingredients.
Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls.
Put onto greased trays and flatten
{ using a rounded bottom glass, lightly dusted with flour, keeps biccies even no raised top or cracked edges.)

Bake 15-20 mins at 190 deg C.

rosathemad, Feb 19, 10:29pm
As Shellbell mentions cooking time is important - most cookies will turn out hard if overcooked - even when the recipe says they're chewy - and usually should still be quite soft when you take them out of the oven. I usually lightly press the edge of the biscuit - if there's a bit of a crust there they're generally done, even though the middle still seems very soft; it'll cook a little more after coming out of the oven and will then firm up as it cools. :-)

rarkl, Feb 19, 10:33pm
I'm just over flat bikkies, I want thick ones. I find most biscuit recipes make bikkies that spread too much.

kinna54, Feb 20, 12:45am
If your biccies are spreading too much, possibly you are using too much sugar, or not creaming the mix enough.
Also don't press out too thin. Definitely try the recipe I posted, I swear by it. Wish I knew how to put up a pic of the ones I made on Fri (yeh still a couple left in the container) they really are nice, and yeh the cooking time is important, I find the 15mins just right, but different ovens vary. You're not using fan bake are you? this would definitely make the product crisper. Don't give up! hope you try the recipe and enjoy.

guest, Jan 11, 5:24am
That's the pecerft insight in a thread like this.

guest, Jan 13, 12:48pm
I made these biscuits toginht to go with my breakfast for supper and I just want you to know they are FANTASTIC!!! They taste very similar to the 7up biscuits I use to make before my husband and I went low carb. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipes!! I also have made several other of your recipes and they are fabulous too!! especially the chicken broccoli casserole!! yum! yum!!

guest, Jan 14, 7:42pm
These biscuits are wunoerfdl! I didn't have sour cream so used full-fat Fage Greek yogurt. It worked beautifully but I will try these using the sour cream as well after my next trip to the grocers! Thank you very much!