Lots of green chillies??

poppy62, Feb 17, 3:47am
HI all - can anyone give me some ideas on what to do with mountains of green chillies?? Every (preserve) recipe I have says to use red and I know it wont make too much diff -(only in the looks) but I would like some recipes on using the green ones.Preserves in particular.

jessie981, Feb 17, 5:44am
http://www.riodolores.co.nz/green-chili-recipes.php
cookessentials posted this last year. For more recipes go into l/h message board & put green chillies. Where it says date posted put anytime. More there.

poppy62, Feb 17, 6:47am
You are awesome Jessie - thanks for that!

karlachikkidy, Feb 17, 7:34am
you can just freeze them, they will thaw and have a s lightly mushy texture but still same great taste - much easier and cheaper than preserving:-)

poppy62, Feb 17, 8:31pm
I have frozen them in the past but really wanted to preserve them.

crystalmoon, Feb 18, 12:10am
Copied this off TM but havnt tried it yet,could be what your looking for,sounds nice.

I keep returning to this recipe all the time. You can use any chilli. Made six jars yesterday as a matter of fact because my 4 chilli plants just seem to want to keep on keeping on.

Chilli Condiment.
ideal for chesse on crackers or on steak or on practically anything really if you like a bit of heat/flavour.

20-30 Jalapeno chillies ,use Jalapeno's as they aren't as hot as the smaller chilli.
Top and tail the chilli.
Cut whats left crossways into smallish bits.

Other ingredients.
Half a cup of oil.
6 cloves of Garlic finely chopped.
2 Tablespoons of Mustard seeds.
2 T/bsp of Carraway seeds.
1 T/bsp of grated/finely chopped Ginger.
2 T/bsp of Curry powder or Garam Masala.
1 T/bsp of Cumin powder.
1 T/bsp of Raw sugar.
Half a cup of Lemon juice.
1 Teaspoon of salt.

Method:
Heat the oil to a Medium heat..not burning hot.
Add the Mustard seeds the Carraway, the Ginger the Garlic, Curry powder and Cumin..simmer/saute for a bit,,Say 5mins. Pour in the Lemon juice salt and sugar..Mix around a bit,,Then throw in your chopped Jalapenos and simmer/saute (DON'T BURN THEM) the concoction for about 20mins to half an hour or until the skins have softened a bit and the chilli pieces have lost most of their bulk.. Stir everything around every so ofton. You may need to add more oil during the cook out.The mix isn't supposed to be dry..fairly oily in fact. The chilli skins can take a while to soften sometimes. They don't need to be really soft just semi done. Sterilize your jars and bottle..Gets better with age.

helpless (115 )

Quotebuzzy110 (61 )1:19 pm, Sat 8 May #4

greg.n.michelle, Feb 18, 12:43am
ok I am trying this one I have picked 20 chilli's

poppy62, Feb 18, 1:02am
Yes crystalmoon - thats more what I am looking for - thanks heaps - I will make some up on the weekend.Do you leave the seeds in?

helpless, Feb 18, 1:43am
You leave the seeds in. Be aware that if you use anything other than Jalapeno chilli it will be extremely hot. Even a mixture of different types will be hot..It's really designed for Jalapeno only..If you can stand hot stuff then use anything you like..You have been warned..

kiwigoldie, Feb 18, 2:46am
x1
HOT CHILLI SAUCE
40 Chillies (yes I know seems a lot - can cut back if you want)
2 large cooking apples (or can of precooked)
3 cloves of garlic
Process all of the above in whiz
Add 1 tbspn plain salt
21/2lbs sugar
750mls of malt vinegar
Simmer all these for 25 minutes to ½ hour
Add 1 ltr can of tomato sauce.
Simmer another ½ hour
Bottle and cap when cold.

buzzy110, Feb 18, 2:46am
Lol. I use the hot chillies I grow. The paste is really hot because of that but if you use less then it all works out.

I also tried fermenting a couple of jars using whey, last year just to see how they would go and they are absolutely brilliant. The chillies have exactly the same fresh, crispy texture as freshly picked, raw chillies so you can use exactly as you would if you wanted fresh.

I still have several jars left of both the paste and the fermented chillies and a whole new crop of chillies coming on. Just thinking I'm going to have to compost them this year.

poppy62, Feb 18, 2:56am
THis sounds interesting and very easy - might try this one too.

poppy62, Feb 18, 5:50am
Made this today - made the mistake of inhaling some of the chillie fumes - whoa -Anyway - it looks okay - gonna leave for a while before I try it though.

clsnz, Feb 18, 7:11am
Preserved Chillies

red or green chillies
1c water
1/2c sugar
1c cider vinegar

Wash chillies and pat dry with paper towels.Using a fine metal skewer or coarse needle make a hole in the top and bottom of each chilli.This enables the preserving solution to drain into the chillies.Bring water, sugar and vinegar to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.Pack chillies into hot, clean dry jars.Pour vinegar solution over chillies to completely cover.Seal Jars.

Sweet green chilli sauce
12 long green chillies
4 cloves garlic
2 c sugar
1c water
1 1/2c white vinegar
1 tblspn salt

Deseed the chillies and chop roughly.Crush and peel garlic.Place chillies and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend to a paste.Place the sugar, water, vinegar and salt in a large saucepan.Bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.Add the chillies.Bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.Pour into a hot clean dry bottle and seal.Makes about 2 cups.

poppy62, Feb 18, 10:25pm
Thanks heaps - I will do this for my next lot.

jag5, Jul 23, 1:17am
That's my recipe LOL.....Sweet Chilli Sauce.....very nice...not sure about making it with green chilies though....I have always used red and looks lovely....