Green chillies....

redrustie, May 8, 12:36am
I have some plants that i believed were peppars but they're green chilli's! ! Any idea's of what i can do with them please, as i have HEAPS of them! I've no idea how hot they are or anything!

lucy-and-ricky, May 8, 1:07am
Taste them, if they're the nice hot ones you can chop them very finely and keep them in oil. Its nice to have a teaspoon of chili on the side of the plate as a spicy condiment with meats. You can use them on pizza, in thai curries, in meat patties for spicy burgers, fish, salsa's and more.

cookessentials, May 8, 1:10am
http://www.riodolores.co.nz/green-chili-recipes. php

buzzy110, May 8, 1:19am
I keep returning to this recipe all the time. You can use any chilli. Made six jars yesterday as a matter of fact because my 4 chilli plants just seem to want to keep on keeping on.

Chilli Condiment.
ideal for chesse on crackers or on steak or on practically anything really if you like a bit of heat/flavour.

20-30 Jalapeno chillies , use Jalapeno's as they aren't as hot as the smaller chilli.
Top and tail the chilli.
Cut whats left crossways into smallish bits.

Other ingredients.
Half a cup of oil.
6 cloves of Garlic finely chopped.
2 Tablespoons of Mustard seeds.
2 T/bsp of Carraway seeds.
1 T/bsp of grated/finely chopped Ginger.
2 T/bsp of Curry powder or Garam Masala.
1 T/bsp of Cumin powder.
1 T/bsp of Raw sugar.
Half a cup of Lemon juice.
1 Teaspoon of salt.

Method:
Heat the oil to a Medium heat. . not burning hot.
Add the Mustard seeds the Carraway, the Ginger the Garlic, Curry powder and Cumin. . simmer/saute for a bit, , Say 5mins. Pour in the Lemon juice salt and sugar. . Mix around a bit, , Then throw in your chopped Jalapenos and simmer/saute (DON'T BURN THEM) the concoction for about 20mins to half an hour or until the skins have softened a bit and the chilli pieces have lost most of their bulk. . Stir everything around every so ofton. You may need to add more oil during the cook out. The mix isn't supposed to be dry. . fairly oily in fact. The chilli skins can take a while to soften sometimes. They don't need to be really soft just semi done. Sterilize your jars and bottle. . Gets better with age.

helpless (115 )

helpless, May 8, 11:32pm
Glad you're still enjoying it Buzzy. . Little thing I did the other day was take a couple of spoonfuls of the concoction and add a bit of that sweet chilli sauce you get from the supermarket plus a dash of vinegar and a little soy sauce. . possibly a bit more oil as well. That made me a dipping sauce for my freshly cooked Prawns. . Fantastic stuff... Just use your imagination with it. . You can't really go wrong.

fisher, May 9, 3:09am
Cheers buzzy / helpless... do the chillies "mellow" any when cooked and sauted and I presume they are de-seeded. . when added. . I like heat but not overpowering. . I like having the food flavour and that residual heat in your throat as an after taste best. . :}
Cant understand folks who like it real real hot in their dish... may as well just eat the chillies. . lol:}

redrustie, May 9, 9:57am
Well, i picked 2 today and tasted them to check if they were the Hot variety and the green outside tasted like thin green peppars, so i was a little disappointed... . . OH then tasted the seeds and said his lips were still tingling after 10minutes! ! I tried a seed and found it a little hot but quite mellow so obviously the seeds hold the heat, but i have absolutely loads, so anymore recipes please? ? ? ?

redrustie, May 9, 9:59am
Helpless... . . If you want any you are more than welcome to have some of mine ?

deus701, May 9, 10:04am
make a green chilli jam

helpless, May 9, 8:16pm
fisher :: Nope you don't de-seed the chilli. . Just use less on your food if it's to hot. . If you use Jalapeno it shouldn't be that hot, , I can take quite a bit of heat so either way it doesn't worry me. Those other spices are what gives you flavour, ,

redrustie:: She'll be right. . You keep them, thanks for the offer though.

susieq9, May 10, 1:06am
Habanero chillies. Have got quite a few of these HOT little one. How many would I use to make the chilli condiment. Even just a rough guide. Don't mind a little heat, but not burning as I found out a whole one of these can do.

buzzy110, May 10, 1:16am
I don't deseed my chillies either. I have gone from a complete chilli hater to a chilli lover in one easy step. I use the sauce in all sorts of things but only very tiny amounts - say no more than ¼ or ½ tspn at any time. I use it in lots of things, and when I'm just cooking for me or my son-in-law, I'll use more.

Haven't yet developed the taste for sweet Thai chilli sauce except when I cook crispy skin whole pannies (30mm freshly caught schnapper), in which case, sweet Thai chilli sauce is the only accompaniment, IMO.

buzzy110, Apr 16, 3:57pm
I just use whatever I have, then only use the appropriate amount of sauce when cooking. So If yours has really hot chillies then use only 1/8th of a tspn. Because the sauce and spices are all cooked, it is easy enough to add more after the cooking process is nearly over, and you do your taste test before serving.