Anyone having trouble with cocoa products...pale?

Page 1 / 2
kinna54, Feb 17, 2:22am
Have noticed this for awhile but even worse today. Just baked a chocolate slice (recipe I have used for years. Had to use nearly double the amount of cocoa that the recipe states to get the mix to even look like chocolate. It was a brand new pack of cadbury's bournville cocoa just opened. I know cadbury's chocolate has changed but is it all cocoa products?

cookessentials, Feb 17, 2:26am
I have not bought Cadbury anything for a long while. I use Blookers Dutch Cocoa or Valrhona

bedazzledjewels, Feb 17, 2:56am
x1
Or Home Brand which comes from Germany or any Dutch cocoa you can find. Or good quality cacao like Willie's Cacao.

creeky1, Feb 17, 3:25am
yip it is very pale and the flavor is not as choccy as was. changing to the homebrand one it's nice and dark.

greerg, Feb 17, 4:08am
Signature range is also a good dark one and cheaper than Cadburys.

robyn35, Feb 17, 4:52am
yip I have found the same so have started getting the pams brand and the difference is amazing both in colour and flavour.Another cadbury product gone to the dogs - you have to wonder why companies mess around with there once reliable products

kinna54, Feb 17, 5:22am
thanks guys. I will change to the other brands, as suggested and yeh, maybe I'll pen cadbury's a line. (They'll probabbly ignore it but you never know) Family are calling the latest effort the Albino cake.
Cheers everyone.

kiwibubbles, Feb 17, 5:39am
yep - i buy signature range now cos its lovely and dark.

kaddiew, Feb 17, 5:52am
Signature range for me too. Just made some double chocolate muffins and they're really nice & dark. They do have coffee in them too though as the liquid.

tommydog, Feb 17, 6:16am
Ihave a wonderful friend who is a marvollous foodie and she had to point out to me only yesterday that Home Brand Cocoa Powder had as much Cocoa content as Varlhorna Coco Powder so just buy that and it so much cheaper.

angie461, Feb 17, 6:25am
I love the Blooker cocoa, it has the most delicious flavour.

neville26, Feb 17, 6:32am
sun valley is a good dark cocoa.

nik12, Feb 17, 8:48am
Last lot of cadbury's I bought I thought they'd got confused and put hot chocolate in the box!

wimwam1, Feb 17, 11:25am
yep sun valley here, it has a lovely colour and a good price

cookessentials, Feb 17, 4:06pm
Sorry, but there is no comparison between the two.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 4:18pm
Yes, it is one of my favourites. I alwyas used to buy the Nestl'e baking cocoa but have not done so for some time now and as far as Cadbury...I dont buy their cocoa or their chocolate.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 4:26pm
Dutched cocoa is far less acidic than other cocoas.

annie.nz, Feb 17, 7:24pm
I changed to Home Brand a year ago after I bought a packet of Cadbury's and found it dreadful.I looked on here for cocoa threads and found people recommended Home Brand, was a bit skeptical but found it excellent.

I also throw in a bit of Valhrona, about 1/2 to 1/3 of the mix, if cooking dark cakes for adult birthdays.

maysept, Feb 17, 7:49pm
Looked for Homebrand cocoa after reading about it on here, but none of the 3 Countdowns in the area stock it. Really disappointed!

greerg, Feb 17, 8:45pm
Try Signature range maysept -that's also a Countdown brand and I think it's about the same as Homebrand.They're not Valrhona but I only use that for specialthings not bulk baking for flats and boys.

malcovy, Feb 18, 12:20am
Maysept have a look where the drinking choc is as that is where I have seen HomeBrand cocoa, its not in baking area.

babytears, Feb 18, 12:38am
Yes, cadbury's cocoa is utter crap... surely they realise how crappy it's become... really surprised it's selling to be honest... as another poster has said ... another cadbury product gone to the pack!

maysept, Feb 18, 12:39am
Thanks for the info, if I can't find it with the drinking chocolate, I'll try the Signature. Cadbury's made my beautiful peanut brownies insipid looking.

kiwigoldie, Feb 18, 2:44am
i buy the signature brand cocoa from countdown...its in a cardboard tin...IYKWIM...with a plastic lid...is fantastic....would now rather go without than back to cadburys or bournville...so i buy 2 at a time so i will never run out...hopefully.

sah5, Feb 18, 7:52am
Sun Valley for me