GLADWRAP IN OVEN

ykatoman, Feb 16, 5:43am
Can you use gladwrap in the oven when cooking.

fisher, Feb 16, 5:49am
No probs...Just have a fire extinguisher handy...errrrr NO.....
use baking paper...

jessie981, Feb 16, 5:51am
If you don't want to use the dish again or eat the food

calista, Feb 16, 6:00am
One recipe I have used gladwrap in was Simon and Alison Holst's Plum puddings - but that was in a crockpot.

ferrit47, Feb 16, 7:33am
No as it will melt onto your food.

hooksie60, Feb 16, 7:34am
Are you serious?

gypsy11, Feb 16, 12:00pm
Absolutely you can use glad wrap in the oven! It just goes a little hard, In kitchens we quite often wrap beef fillets in glad wrap, this enables you to form the meat into a shape which is even, (Promotes even cooking and even sizing, last thing you desire is a tray of sealed beef fillets all of different thicknesses and sizes) you can then cut your beef to weight specific portions, (Usually around 180gm) then seal in a pan, and finish in an oven, just ensure you peel off the glad wrap before serving! It is an amazing product, have also rolled pork belly into shape, and slowly poached, (This is with the aid of string to hold glad wrap in place). The belly holds its shape well.

nalz, Feb 16, 12:45pm
Yeah I've seen them do that on TV, people just think because it's plastic you can't.

tahnasha, Feb 16, 12:51pm
I wouldn't even be using gladwrap to wrap my food in! They contain plasticisers or PVC which leech into the food.So I would imagine heating the plastic would be even more unhealthy.

earthangel4, Feb 16, 1:05pm
yep same here.

summersunnz, Feb 16, 1:46pm
I'm always surprised to see contestants and/or chefs on cooking programmes wrap plastic wrap firmly around rolls of food then steam or boil in water - chicken, meat, etc, with stuffing of some sort inside - aint something I'd do!

gardie, Feb 16, 5:26pm
My husband put gladwrap in the oven once - on top of the shepards pie that I'd made previously.Wasn't until I saw a few shiny flecks on the top that I asked him whether he'd removed the gladwrap."From what" he replied.There wasn't much left of it just the odd few shiny bits but I removed the whole crunchy potato top layer before eating.We survived.

lythande1, Feb 16, 7:49pm
You can in a microwave.
And perhaps if it is immersed in liquid - but I wouldn't.

maynard9, Feb 16, 8:06pm
Just because you 'can' doesn't mean you 'should' in my book.

I never use it in the microwave either - if anything needs covering I use a paper towel.

ribzuba, Feb 16, 8:40pm
i do, just make sure it's one that's temperature safe...plenty of great chefs do it as well, i used a thomas keller creme caramel recipe that used glad wrap!

tahnasha, Feb 16, 9:12pm
LOL, well lets all do it because plenty of great chefs do it.It's plastic!It's carcinogenic!

ibcreative, Feb 16, 10:04pm
Exactly. I won't use it in the microwave, let alone the oven!

uli, Feb 16, 11:43pm
We had these discussions in here so often that I usually abstain from these threads - the last time it was about making an "omelette" by throwing eggs into a ziplock bag then boiling it ...

Soft plastic is not to come into contact with fat for one - as the softeners leach into the food via the fat - so no cheese in gladwrap in the fridge or oil in plastic bottles. If you heat the plastic it gets worse of course - at least water doesn't go over 100 degrees - the oven will.

The usual reply is "...and we didn't die of it"
No you won't die of it there and then. However the stuff is cumulative in your body - in the fat cells actually - so do not ever try to lose weight or get sick and lose weight as you will have all those toxins in your bloodstream all at once and your liver and kidneys and brain and other organs will not be happy at all.

In the long run you can get all sorts of degenerative diseases of course, but hey if it is so much "easier" and more practical - then why worry.

firefly001, Feb 17, 7:05am
reminds me of the time my domestically challenged flatmate put the roast into the oven in the "oven" bag - turned out to be a plastic bag.Since we were young and poor and it was a rolled roast we peeled off the outer layer and ate not much meat and stuffing.We did make the flatmate scrub the dish though, those were the days

elliehen, Feb 17, 8:16am
I made my first jam in a student flat because we had an apricot tree in the back yard.We didn't have any glass jars so I put plastic pottles in the oven to heat up while I stirred the pot.I ended up with some interesting little Salvador Dali-esque soft sculptures....