* 4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cups apple cider vinegar
* 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, or amount to taste
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon salt, or amount to taste
Directions
Place the tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat, and simmer 1 hour. Skim off any excess liquid or foam. Stir in the chili peppers, bell peppers, onion, vinegar, lime juice, white sugar, brown sugar, and desired amount of salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 to 5 hours until liquid reduces and thickens. Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove chili sauce from heat, and skim off any foam. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Going to make this recipe... what do you think.. Just wont be doing the water bath..

beaker59, Feb 10, 1:38am
Looks good I do something similar though I don't seed my tomatoes and I roast them first as it intensifies the flavour once roasts the skins fall off easilyand I remove those same with the capsicums. I rarely have fresh chillis so would generally use dried ones though I guess fresh is best. I like the cider addition I may try that in future and would generally add more onion than that.

I agree too I never bother with the water bath I use an assortment of jam jars pickle jars etc etc collected from family with origonal lids they get washed in the dishwasher before use and thats it. I fill the sauce or jam etc while simmering then place lids on loosely for a minute before tightening and have never had one explode or go off before opening.

fisher, Feb 10, 3:29am
Got some chillies from my plants...deseeded as you do and then the temptation came to taste them...big mistake....LOL:}
agggghhh nice cool Speights...
Have roasted the tomatoes and peppers but only removed the blackened part of the capsicum skins.. simmering away now...till next step..

greerg, Feb 10, 3:33am
Please let us know how that is Fisher - it certainly sounds interesting.

fisher, Feb 10, 3:47am
I'm changing it ..LOL..as you do.. to make my own recipe...
So far I have picked my tomatoes (50 big and small) that have blemishes, removed the cores and roasted them in the oven... removed what skin was easily removed and then roasted the capsicums.. also a nice yellow one from my garden..took the black bits of skin off and then chopped them up and set aside..Tomatoes are now on the stove simmering away and getting stirred every so often...Added 1/2 tsp of salt and half an onion finely diced so far...

fisher, Feb 10, 4:24am
Right...added the capsicums and chillies, some chilli flakes, grind of black pepper and simmered stirring every so often for 30 mins... strained off all the juice and bottled this to make a nice chilli/tomatoflavoured marinade at a later time... Added the vinegar, salt, lime juice (store bought green bottle)and both sugars and stirred...chopped up the rest of the onions (used 2 smaller ones) and it's now simmering... The plan is to use a stick blender later on, once the sauce has reduced somewhat and then bottle...

fisher, Feb 10, 11:38pm
Used the stick blender but still left it a little chunky... taste tested and added some more Chilli ...MOST IMPRESSED with it all as its similar in taste to the store bought Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce... The tart of the lime and vinegar and the sugar to sweeten and then that magic taste of fresh chopped hot chillies....

darlingmole, Feb 10, 11:45pm
how much more chilli did you add fisher?(might give this sauce a crack - my second batch of plum jam was a disaster earlier this week and have avoided the kitchen since but this recipe has me interested!)

nunesy, Feb 11, 12:15am
how many jars does this make?I'd have to buy the tomatoes so might have a go at making a small batch first... thanks.

greerg, Feb 11, 12:45am
Me too.Do you think a mouli would be better Fisher or do you think it's better chunky?

fisher, Feb 11, 2:17am
Because i removed the liquid after the first hour cooking , it reduced in size somewhat but as cooking continued, it produced a lot more liquid... and then adding the lime juice and then the vinegar made quite a lot of liquid.. I cut the tomatoes in half and roasted the tomatoes and capsicums, removed (most) of the skins but not seeds and this is why I believe it has this magnificent "intense" tomato'y flavour with a chilli bite.. Limes are too expensive at the mo, so I just used some of the "Country Gold " green lime juice .. held back a little on the sugar and simmered it for 2-3 hours last night and then left it till this morning.. used the stick blender but left it as a sauce but a little chunky...(still bits of onion, capsicum and tomato)... simmered for another hour and di the taste test... but to my mind didn't have a bite like a like.. so chopped up another chili, added a few chill flakes and stirred it all in for the last hour of simmering.. It reduced quite a lot and produced 4 peanut butter size jars and two smaller jars... You could do the taste test and add or not add more chilli depending on the taste you want...This is on the top 3 list of tomatoe'ysauces I will make from now on.... Roasting is the key to intensify the flavour...
Remember, I still have the flavoursome juice to make a nice marinade..

fisher, Feb 11, 2:21am
nunesy... see if your local vege shop has a few blemished tomatoes he would sell cheap.. just core...remove blemishes and chop in half and place in a roasting dish.. pour the juices into the cooking pot... Pak n save are selling BAGS OF capsicum cheap at the moment...I got 7 huge ones for 3.95 , 5 red and two orange...

fisher, Feb 11, 2:25am
greerg... I left it chunky ...you could smooth it out if you wanted but I didn't because I made this , plus tomato sauce (smooth) and chilli tomato relish real chunky and thickened...This sweet chilli sauce wins hands down...!!!!

winnie231, Feb 11, 3:09am
You know where to send some if you need a 2nd opinion on the finished product lol!

beaker59, Feb 11, 5:05am
Nicer if you roast the tomatoes EH! It really does boost the flavour.

I did one similar just before xmass after a visit to the Otara flea market they had overripe tomatoes for 99c Kg so did a big batch that day also added zuchinni and some dates for the sweetness made extremely popular presents even 99yr old Nana finished her jar and is asking for more. I split mine before bottling and added triple chilli for the Cambodian members of the Whanau and discovered it can take allot of chilli without being too hot. Mostly gone now must do another one soon.

greerg, Feb 11, 5:09am
Thanks Fisher.Have been out to glare at my slowly ripening tomatoes but might weaken and buy some.

nunesy, Feb 14, 3:17am
Thanks fisher, I'm very tempted to give this a go.... but my oven doesn't work at the moment (only the elements)... can you roast tomatoes and capsicums in an electric frypan????

fisher, Feb 24, 1:57am
sure can... leave the lid off tho as you dont want to steam.. I would flatten the 1/4ers of capsicum skin side down and blacken.. remove black bits..
then do the tomatoes skin side down on high heat turning to the cut side to seal and burn/blacken... (once turned dont move them..)
Nunesy..it's worth doing.. let me know how you go...

amazing_grace, Feb 24, 7:26am
Ah, now if you want one that is like Sweet Chilli Sauce, then you use my receipe which has no tomatoes in it.Pictures of the final product and a receipe at: www.gardeningincromwell.blogspot.com

fisher, Feb 24, 8:07am
very nice.... but the idea is to use up tomatoes that are in abundance this summer in ones garden....

fisher, Feb 10, 12:46am
Ingredients
* 35 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 3 fresh hot chili peppers, seeded and chopped
* 4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cups apple cider vinegar
* 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, or amount to taste
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon salt, or amount to taste
Directions
Place the tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat, and simmer 1 hour. Skim off any excess liquid or foam. Stir in the chili peppers, bell peppers, onion, vinegar, lime juice, white sugar, brown sugar, and desired amount of salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 to 5 hours until liquid reduces and thickens. Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove chili sauce from heat, and skim off any foam. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Going to make this recipe. what do you think. Just wont be doing the water bath.

beaker59, Feb 10, 1:38am
Looks good I do something similar though I don't seed my tomatoes and I roast them first as it intensifies the flavour once roasts the skins fall off easilyand I remove those same with the capsicums. I rarely have fresh chillis so would generally use dried ones though I guess fresh is best. I like the cider addition I may try that in future and would generally add more onion than that.

I agree too I never bother with the water bath I use an assortment of jam jars pickle jars etc etc collected from family with origonal lids they get washed in the dishwasher before use and thats it. I fill the sauce or jam etc while simmering then place lids on loosely for a minute before tightening and have never had one explode or go off before opening.

fisher, Feb 10, 3:29am
Got some chillies from my plants.deseeded as you do and then the temptation came to taste them.big mistake.LOL:}
agggghhh nice cool Speights.
Have roasted the tomatoes and peppers but only removed the blackened part of the capsicum skins. simmering away now.till next step.

fisher, Feb 10, 3:47am
I'm changing it .LOL.as you do. to make my own recipe.
So far I have picked my tomatoes (50 big and small) that have blemishes, removed the cores and roasted them in the oven. removed what skin was easily removed and then roasted the capsicums. also a nice yellow one from my garden.took the black bits of skin off and then chopped them up and set aside.Tomatoes are now on the stove simmering away and getting stirred every so often.Added 1/2 tsp of salt and half an onion finely diced so far.

fisher, Feb 10, 4:24am
Right.added the capsicums and chillies, some chilli flakes, grind of black pepper and simmered stirring every so often for 30 mins. strained off all the juice and bottled this to make a nice chilli/tomatoflavoured marinade at a later time. Added the vinegar, salt, lime juice (store bought green bottle)and both sugars and stirred.chopped up the rest of the onions (used 2 smaller ones) and it's now simmering. The plan is to use a stick blender later on, once the sauce has reduced somewhat, do a taste test. adjust as needed and then bottle.