Zucchini Flowers?

frogmanor, Feb 10, 12:36am
Just found a recipe in a womans day mag that calls for 12 Zucchini Flowers,
can you buy them? and if so where from.
Thanks

davidt4, Feb 10, 12:45am
I've never seen them for sale in NZ.They are extremely fragile and perishable, so you really need to grow your own.A couple of zucchini plants (pick the male flowers and leave the female ones to turn into zucchini) should give you enoughflowers all at the same stage of development.

frogmanor, Feb 10, 1:10am
Thank you :) how do you tell the difference between the male and female flowers? can you tell I don't grow veg? lol,..very keen to give it a go though.

davidt4, Feb 10, 1:21am
The male flowers are on thin stalks , the females have tiny zucchini attached.Have a look at the Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini

The second photo down shows female flower, the third shows male ones.

The female flowers are perfectly edible, but if you leave them on the plant they will turn into zucchini, whereas the male flowers will just shrivel and die.

beaker59, Feb 10, 1:29am
The female flowers are pickable once the Zucchini are about an inch long just be careful not to damage the fruit when picking. I have done them a few times including stuffed and deepfried in tempura and while they look good on the plate they taste like nothing much so I prefer to leave them on the plant now days.

frogmanor, Feb 10, 3:01am
Thanks folks!! much appreciated :)

greerg, Apr 7, 8:56am
There were some at the Lyttleton market on Saturday so perhaps a local farmers' market?