Ive just done the weeks baking, what did you bake

Page 49 / 117
gemini007, Jun 4, 2:42am
lemsip wrote:

Do people really still feed their children this much butter, sugar and white flour?

Agreed muddler and better than all those numbers / colours / flavours and chemicals in the over-processed garbage some people still refer to as 'food'.

gemini007, Jun 4, 2:57am
This is and Alison Holst recipe:

Spiced Apple Muffins

• 1 cup self-raising flour
• 1 cup (fine) rolled oats
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tsp mixed spice
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt

• 75 grams butter
• 1 egg
• 1 cup raw chopped or grated apple
• 1 cup milk

Measure the dry ingredient into a large mixing bowl and mix well with your fingers to ensure that the rolled oats and brown sugar are mixed evenly through the other ingredients.
Melt the butter until liquid then add the egg and 3/4 cup of the milk, and beat with a fork until mixed. Next, grate or chop the apple in a food processor. Press it into the cup, removing air bubbles, then stir it into the liquids. (Work quickly to prevent the apple browning.)
Add the apple and liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix lightly to dampen the ingredients, adding as much of the extra 1/4 cup of milk as you need.
Coat 12 medium-sized muffin pans with non-stick spray and divide
the mixture between them.
Bake at 200°C for 12-15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when pressed.

pam.delilah, Jun 4, 3:47am
try these, A recipe I have wirked on and are so yummy and light. The key , as with any muffin , is not to over mix. Just mix, when adding the flour, until justcombined

Have it your way Savoury Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 200deg.C.
Lightly grease muffins tins( 6 large, 12 mini),
Mix together 2 eggs,
1/4 cup olive oil,
1/2 cup thick yoghurt,
Plus any one or more of the following 100g crumbled feta, 1/2 cup grated/or cubed cheese, ½ cup cottage cheese,
plus one chopped tomato,
one small chopped onion,
½ - ¾ cup, cooked chopped spinach. unfrozen or fresh (squeeze water out),
½ cup chopped bacon or ham,
stir lightly (don’t over stir) until combined with
1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 ½ teaspoon of baking power, ½ teaspoon salt,
Spoon mixture into tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden

gemini007, Jun 4, 4:19am
Yum - they sound divine - might have to add them to the baking list this weekend.

fortuna_i, Jun 4, 4:53am
and I strongly recommend the date loaf, tastes DIVINE!

Gemini I would love your muffin recipe!

I have been searching for the perfect savoury muffin recipe for a while, but mine turn up quite dense

wheelz, Jun 4, 5:12am
I find that recipehorrid, has a 'cake' like texture, not like a real scone should be. I aways use the good old faithful Edmonds recipe, BUT always use buttermilk instead of milk. The secret is to form a soft dough without kneading the death out of them. I pat mine out to and inch or so high and end up with a good 2inch high fluffy scone. Try making your cakes, pikelets, pancakes or scones with buttermilk, you will be amazed how much better the result is !

wheelz, Jun 4, 5:15am
If you think buttermilk is expensive to use, I have a method toget triple the amount out of 1 carton. I don't mean by using lemon juice and milk either. it's just not the same.

hobbles, Jun 4, 5:47am
bump just noticed this thread nearly going to the bottom of the list - so I thought I would bump it up as there are so many fantastic recipes on this thread

gardie, Jun 4, 8:07am
Do tell!

gemini007, Jun 4, 7:38pm
Ohh - thanks for the scone recipe I will be trying this weekend.Will post my muffin recipe later - we are off to soccer now - but it's not savoury - it's sweet.

sammydog2006, Jun 4, 7:47pm
SORRY JAXMA i've been away from here for 2 weeks with sick kids and i have been back through here looking for details of your rabbit auction but cant find any. can you please let me know how to get in touch with you to beg for a copy of recipe book 2. Thankyou so much

muddler, Jun 4, 8:21pm
better than chip, lollys and fizzy.

kob, Jun 4, 8:46pm
THOUGHT ID ADD SOME CAKES TO THE EVER GROWING LIST BANANA CAKE-

1/2 cup of butter,
2 eggs,
1 cup of mashed bananas,
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda,
1 & 1/2 cups of sugar,
vanilla essence,
2 cups of flour,
1/2 cup of milk,.

Cream butter & sugar add eggs and the bananas then the flour and lastly add the baking soda to heated milk and mix in with the other ingredients
This makes a good sized cake i usually double and cook in a roasting dish or it also will make 24 muffins
Cook at 180 for 40-45 minutes

kob, Jun 4, 8:47pm
simplicity chocolate cake SIMPLICITY CHOCOLATE CAKE-

80 grams of butter,
2 tablespoons of cocoa,
1 cup of flour,
2 teaspoons of baking powder,
1 cup of sugar,
1/2 cup of milk,
2 eggs,
vanilla essence,.

Beat together the egg and the milk, then add the melted butter, sift in the dry ingredients stir and then cook at 190 for 45 minutes

kob, Jun 4, 8:49pm
MIcrowave cake MICROWAVE CAKE--

1 cup of flour,
1 cup of sugar,
1 teaspoon of baking powder,
2 tablespoons of cocoa,
2 eggs,
3 tablespoons of melted butter,.

Put dry ingredients into a bowl add the eggs, butter, milk and fold together but dont beat.Pour into a greased microwave dish and cover ith a serviette or clean T Towel and cook on medium power for 6 minutes and then high power for 2 minutes
This can be made into all flavours of cakes by adding different flavours just omit the cocoa

kob, Jun 4, 8:50pm
FRUIT CAKE FRUIT CAKE--

Melt 1/2 pound of butter and add 500 grmas of fruit mix
seperately mix together 3 eggs, 1&1/2 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and the butter and fruit and stir then add 3 cups of flour and 2 teaspoons of bking powder
Bake at 180 for about 1 & 1/2 hours

kob, Jun 4, 8:51pm
SULTANA CAKE SULTANA CAKE--

Boil 500 grams of sultanas with a little water then drain.add 1/2 pound of butter and 1 tablespoon of golden syrup.beat 3 eggs with 1 cup of sugar sift in 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder then add both mixes together and cook for 90 minutes at 150

wheelz, Jun 4, 9:18pm
I use a well cleaned 1.5 litre glass bottle ( the ocean spray juice bottle). Pour the carton of buttermilk in and top up to base of the neck with normal milk. Shake gently. Leave unrefrigerated placeuntil the milk has cultured .A yoghurt maker would speed things up here. Refrigerate. Will keep up to 3 weeks.

sammydog2006, Jun 4, 9:24pm
carrot cake please Please can someone help me with a moist carrot cake recipe. I've looked through here and cant find one that sounds like what i'm looking for

rainbowpride, Jun 4, 9:36pm
OK guys I am up to page 20 and I have seen several references to caramel mudcake but I cant find the recipe.Am I missing something or am I looking with my eyes closed??

PS

What a great thread

bams1, Jun 4, 9:56pm
glad this thread is still here i did my baking early again this week as we are having visitors for the weekend, i made the peppermint slice again , its really nice and that recipe makes a big tray,a double mix of anzac biscuits , which i notice is already moslty gone, and a roasting tray of banana cake ( still trying to get thru the big box hubby bought -all in the freezer now i rekon they make better cakeswhen they have been frozen)no doubt i will have to do more before school on tues~!

malcovy, Jun 4, 11:42pm
For the sticky lemon slice I keep a little of the base over and sprinkle it on top of the lemon mix before placing back in the oven.It also successfully doubles, this is the only way I make it now, absolutley delish

kezza28, Jun 5, 12:33am
Bumping again Keep it going

fortuna_i, Jun 5, 12:54am
Thanks gemini and pam.delilah for the recipes, I'm going to try them very soon.

rainbowpride, I have looked into jaxma books for a caramel mudcake recipe but there isn't one (maybe is a chocolate caramel slice?).
There is a recipe for Mississippi mudcake(which I have tried and my family liked it), here it is:

1 tablespoon instant coffee
½ cup water
100gr dark cooking chocolate
100gr butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons either sherry, whisky or brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda

Heat the coffee, water,broken chocolate,butter and sugar in a saucepan, cook
until chocolate has melted, and sugar dissolved stirring at intervals, cool at room
temperature, then stir in the brandy or whisky.Beat the eggs with the vanilla in a
food processor or bowl.Sift the flour and baking soda together, then combine the
threeingredients, process or whisk justlongenoughto getasmooth mixture,
which is thinner than most other cake mixtures.Line the bottom of a 6 cup
baking ring tin with baking paper, pour in mixture and bake at 150o
C for about an
hour.

Ice with:
150-200gr cooking chocolate or chocolate chips
1-2 tablespoons cream

Melt chocolate with cream in a saucepan,stirring until smooth, but don’t over
cook otherwise it will burn.Spread onto cake.

hope it helps

gemini007, Jun 5, 2:42am
lemsip wrote:

Do people really still feed their children this much butter, sugar and white flour!

Agreed muddler and better than all those numbers / colours / flavours and chemicals in the over-processed garbage some people still refer to as 'food'.