What are the best things to bake and freeze

maggiemay33, Dec 7, 12:08am
So I can just thaw out and eat.

tarankyle, Dec 7, 12:23am
I bake & freeze choc brownies, just dust with icing sugar when thewed. wheetbix slice is a good one too, or muffins of any sort.

cgvl, Dec 7, 1:20am
I freeze cakes uniced, (banana, chocolate, coffee and sponges).
Biscuits all different types although not usually iced or filled ones.
Slices freeze well especially the likes of caramel and fudge don't bother thawing nice cold when its hot.
Muffins, scones, pikelets/pancakes/blinis, waffles.
Cream puffs/chocolate eclairs freeze well, these I do fill and ice.

Hope that gives you some ideas

dollmakernz, Dec 7, 6:10am
This recipe makes heaps, they are delicious and freeze well. The flavours are only limited by your imagination!
Many Biscuits
500g butter
1½ c sugar
¼c condensed milk
4c flour
4tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar and condensed milk.
Add sifted dry ingredients and blend in.
Divide into 4 or more portions as desired.

Variations:
(a) Chocolate Chippies: Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and chocolate
chips.
(b) Cherry: Add ½ teaspoon vanilla and or almond essence top with cherry.
(c) Almond: Add 1 teaspoon almond essence top with almond.
(d) Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon or spice and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
(e) Ginger: Add 1 teaspoon lemon essence, 1 teaspoon ginger and, chopped
crystallized ginger.

survivorr, Dec 7, 7:39am
I bake Butter Shortbread - only four ingredients - it freezes like a dream and is edible very soon after taking from the freezer.

ylee, Dec 7, 7:41am
Scones are very good to freeze - great as a standby when the unexpected visitor calls in for a cuppa.

terraalba, Dec 7, 8:04am
Cinnamon Oysters are great. Filled with fresh cream and then frozen. They can be eaten fairly quickly after taking them out of the freezer as even when not 100% thawed they are like an icecream sandwich.

elliehen, Dec 7, 8:54am
Interesting thing about sweet cakes is that the high sugar content stops them from freezing solid, so it's possible to take something straight from freezer to mouth - if you're so inclined - with only the briefest pauses on the bench while you boil the kettle ;)

issymae, Dec 7, 9:12am
where can i get sponge fingers -savoiardi - have tried New World at Lincoln and Countdown Hornby, ( Linoln resident)May have to bake some

245sam, Dec 7, 10:00am
issymae, many years ago when I was first looking for those sponge fingers, they were indeed difficult to find but as far as I am aware most supermarkets have them nowdays.Just in case you're not aware of what their packaging looks like, here's what you should be looking for:-
http://www.woolworths.co.nz/?gclid=COzy4Onv2aUCFRBNgwodxleyjg#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dsponge%2Bfingers

Another likely source of the sponge fingers is The Mediterranean Food Warehouse on Tuam Street.

Hope that helps.:-))

bigboy01, Dec 7, 10:04am
Can you freeze cream..?

elliehen, Dec 7, 11:33am
Yes, I frequently freeze leftover whipped cream.It's a good idea to freeze it in small portions for ease of re-use.

juliewn, Dec 7, 3:29pm
A quick way to have whipped cream ready to be used.. place spoonsful on a sheet of baking paper or some plastic wrap that are laid on a firm surface.. a baking sheet is good.

Freeze, then take the pieces of cream off the baking paper/plastic wrap and return to the freezer in a sealed bag or container.

When needed, take out just what you need - they can be placed straight onto a dessert, as they're in single-serve amounts.

maggiemay33, Oct 5, 5:40pm
Thanks for the advice. Going to bake this week some of these yummy suggestions. Just saving on money as going to the bakery can be very costly. One more thing. Can you freeze rewena bread?