Curried Onions

mas45, Feb 3, 6:10am
I was going to make some curried pickled onions and use one of my mums old wide mouth crockery jars to store them in. Can I just use wax or brown paper tied down for a lid or do they have to be sealed properly? Matt

jessie981, Feb 3, 7:38am
All recipes in Aunt Daisy book say seal so think it means secure lids i.e wax should be ok.

gilligee, Feb 3, 7:44am
I never seal pickled onions.

allurs, Feb 3, 7:47am
in a crock just covered not sealed is what i have done in past

lennonlass, Feb 3, 10:27pm
With you there. Never sealed pickled onions - they are pickled which preserves them.

mas45, Feb 4, 5:12am
Thanks for the info, I just tied a double piece of waxed baking paper over the top with string....next test can I wait 3 weeks, I think not!

kallista, Nov 16, 2:17am
Trying these for the first time.
Questions
1.My pickling onions are on the large size - can I cut them in halves or quarters!
2.Do I cut off the tops and bottoms!

juliewn, Nov 16, 2:19pm
Hi Kallista

Yes. you can cut them however you'd like them to be. I buy large onions now, cutting them into thick rings to make pickled onions - one large ring fits a sandwich.

Peel the onions, and leave the tops and bottoms on, or cut them off if you wish - I leave them on.

Enjoy your pickled onions :-)

whitehead., Nov 17, 4:16am
i get real lazy and just slice the onions and tip the pickle over them .pickle was 2 cups vinger one cup brown sugar and about a teaspoon of pickling spice boil for about ten minutes and tip over your onions you can use then in an hour but is better the next day

whitehead., Nov 17, 4:17am
i do half pint jars and cover with a screw top just to keep the ants out

rainrain1, Nov 17, 4:38am
You have ants in your onions!Ohhh my :-))

kallista, Nov 21, 1:54am
Thanks for your suggestions.The exercise wasn't entirely successful and I think I have over thickened the sauce and it has set like glue.Tomorrow I am going to make up another sauce and add it to the existing one so hope that helps.