Lamb shanks

kidscarer, Mar 6, 5:11am
Have just bought myself a slow cooker and am going to try it for the 1st time on Monday while I am out all day, question is I have heard you have to brown them first... . do you just do it in a fry pan on stove and do you then add any juices that come out and around how long would you brown them for, having never done anything like this I have no idea and if you were to add vegies do you add them at the beginning of the day or would they be mushy. If anyone has a fail safe recipe for a slow cooker I would be most appreciative, thanks so much

jody23, Mar 6, 6:28am
i have never browned my meat before putting it in as i usually put slow cooker on really early, i wonder if it would be much different with the browning

joybells2, Mar 6, 6:31am
I always brown the meat off first. Far more flavour that way.

vashti, Mar 6, 10:54am
This recipe is lovely thanks to the person on here who posted it,
I do it in the Crock Pot and cook all day on low

Oven Baked Lamb Shanks
Lamb shanks
Onion sliced
Garlic (crushed)
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp tumeric
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp coriander
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup honey

Method
Place Lamb Shanks in a deep casserole dish
Saute onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, allspice, coriander & cinnamon
Stir in 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup honey. blend well.
Pour over shanks
Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hrs until lamb is juicy

twinsforus, Mar 6, 8:03pm
I don't brown my meat either. I always put lamb shanks on top of some chunks of onion, rosemary sprigs (some on top too), garlic and carrot.

beaker59, Mar 6, 11:25pm
I always brown then deglaze pan and add to slowcooker. Also saute onions garlic etc much like Vashti's recipe.

tracyj, Mar 6, 11:28pm
I don't brown mine and I just use the Maggi sachet with lamb shanks and they are very scrummy!

kidscarer, Mar 7, 12:08am
thanks cant wait to try it tomorrow

kirinesha, Oct 7, 2:52pm
Ditto. It helps seal in the moisture and caramelises the surface.