Courgette cake

st_allie, Jan 15, 8:08am
I just googled this.. got a recipe for a 3 cup flour/3 cup sugar cake, moist and great reviews.. thing is.. a 4 egg ... 3 cups of sugar cake is a bit bad for the hips...

does anyone have a nice moist zucchini cakethat isn't a giant calorie issue?

thanks in advance

elliehen, Jan 15, 8:34am
This was posted by 245sam.I've baked it and it is moist and delicious, but all cake is calorific ;)

Alison Holst's ZUCCHINI/COURGETTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup yoghurt
2½ cups flour
¼ cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp each of salt and mixed spice
3 cups grated zucchini/courgettes
½-1 cup chocolate bits/chips/dots

Using an electric mixer or food processor beat the butter, with the sugars, until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent curdling. Add the vanilla and yogurt and mix well. Add the sifted dry ingredients, then stir in the grated zucchini/courgettes. Turn into greased or lined 25cm cake pan and sprinkle the top with the chocolate bits/chips/drops.
Bake at 170ºC for 45 minutes, or until the centre feels firm and a cake skewer comes out clean.

firebirds, Jan 15, 8:37am
give this one a try my grandkids love it

Courgette Bread

3 cups grated raw courgette
3 eggs beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp baking powder
2tsp cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

METHOD

1. Mix together until well blended the courgettes, eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla
2. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon
3. Add o the courgette mixture and blend well
4. Stir in the walnuts
5. Turn into 2 loaf tins and bake in a preheated 180c oven for at least 1 hr or until cooked

chrisynz, Jan 15, 8:44pm
i heard if u dontkeep this cake in a cool dark palce it ferments, is this correct?

nzbadger, Jan 15, 9:02pm
Zucchini cake

Grate 2 large zucchini(leave skin on) to get 2 cups of grated Zucchini.

Place this in a bowl with:
3 eggs
1 cupcooking oil
1 ½ cups White Sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp Vanilla essence.

Mix the above well with a fork.

In another bowl sift:

2 cupsflour
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon

Add the zucchini mix to this flour mix. Mix with spatula till just mixed.
Cook in Large ring tin or 9inch square tin for 45 mins at 180 c.
May need covering with tinfoil if getting too brown on top for the last 15 mins.

uli, Jan 15, 9:55pm
Depends on how long you baked it and if it is still raw in the centre I guess :)

veejay13, Jan 15, 11:10pm
I make this courgette bread too, and have handed the recipe on to friends who love it.It freezes well, and also keeps very well for days and days in a sealed container in the pantry.

asue, Jan 16, 7:05am
Is the courgette bread a sweet loaf (like buttered with a cuppa) or a savoury bread??? Sorry if it seems a dumb question.

jaybee321, Jan 16, 8:24am
My friend cooks it and it is a sweet loaf.Good question I wondered that until today when I saw her 20 mth old eating it like crazy.

jarrod261, Feb 7, 5:07pm
thats the recipe I use aswel.Bloody beautiful!