Cherries in Brandy

soundsie, Jan 6, 9:06pm
Has anyone a recipe for preserving Cherries in Brandy please. TIA.

korbo, Jan 6, 9:10pm
have not done cherries, but do prunes and dried apricots. yummy. gotta leave them for a month or so to really taste good.

cookessentials, Jan 6, 9:28pm
Yes I do.

1kg cherries, pitted
330g sugar. You can use caster which dissolves far more easily.
750ml brandy, approximately

Cherries will last indefinitely. Do not allow metal lids to touch the liquid; plastic is best to use

Combine cherries and sugar in sterilised jars with screw top lids. Pour enough brandy over cherries to completely cover them, replace lids.
Stand in a cool dark place for at least 6 weeks before using. Invert jars occasionally to help dissolve sugar.

soundsie, Jan 6, 9:36pm
Thanks so much for your recipe Cookessentials. I mainly have jars with metal lids, if I covered the jar first say with gladwrap, and then the tops, would that work okay, or is there another suggestion you can give me? Thanks again.

soundsie, Jan 6, 9:39pm
Korbo, could you post your recipe for the apricots that you do please, sound yummy.

soundsie, Jan 6, 9:45pm
Cookessentials, jars I was thinking of using have pop top lids, just had a thought, would the ones with the clip down lids be better to use?

cookessentials, Jan 6, 9:56pm
if they are glass with the rubber seal...yes. I would not use the meatal lids, even with gladwrap because you need to turn the jar upside down every so often and I think it will just seep into the lid eventally and rust the lid. If you can do the clip top with the rubber seals, then I think that would be the next best option.

cookessentials, Jan 6, 10:07pm
I have also done them in kirsch which is very very nice. I only do little amounts as when you can FIND the kirsch it can be a little expensive.

soundsie, Jan 7, 12:56am
Thanks so much for your help, will use the jars with the rubber seals

cookessentials, Jan 10, 2:00am
You are welcome. They wash up in the dishwasher and I actually find the clip jar far easier to use too.