Glacé cherries help

gaspodetwd, Dec 17, 6:57pm
I am planning on making fruit loaf today. We all prefer it with glacé cherries - but we need them to be gluten free.
tasti is not GF. Which ones are gluten free! I have been to bin inn but they said they weren't gluten free either.
What brand do I need!

cookessentials, Dec 17, 7:03pm
Have you tried the gluten free section at your supermarket! they may have some there!

gaspodetwd, Dec 17, 7:07pm
I have tried lots of supermarkets. No luck.
They must exist - becuase McDonald's serve Florentines which are GF and have glacé cherries in. And there are a number of GF products out there which contain them.
But I can't find any to buy!

cookessentials, Dec 17, 7:11pm
Could you just use the dried cherries! I know you want glace' but the dried could do until you can source the gluten free ones perhaps!

gaspodetwd, Dec 17, 7:13pm
Ooh. Where do I get dried cherries from! They would soak.
Great idea.

lilyfield, Dec 17, 7:14pm
the loose ones at Bin Inn are pure cherries crystallized. if you ant to be extra careful rinse the coating off.Do not use red coloured artificial
Also wholesalers have small packs (Gilmore)

gardie, Dec 17, 7:56pm
Ingredients:
Cherries (52%), Sugar, Flavour, Mineral Salt (500), Preservative (202), Acid (Citric), Colour (102,142).

These are the ingredients from Tasti Products website - I'm not that knowledgeable about gluten but I'd say that any gluten would be neglible wouldn't it!I'm happy to be enlightened however.
I wonder if Bin Inn say that their cherries aren't gluten free because it doesn't have those words on the box.You don't see the words "contains gluten" either however.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 8:36pm
Not sure where you are situated, but Moore Wilson do beautiful dried cherries in a 250( or perhaps 500gbag)

punkinthefirst, Dec 18, 3:28am
Homebrand do really nice glace cherries that really taste like a cherry!
Ingredients:-
Cherries (60%), Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Food Acid (citric), Natural Flavour, Natural Colour (163), Preservative (202,211,220). No mention of gluten, but if there were any, it would be in the glucose syrup, wouldn't it!
Could you use some fresh cherries, seeing they're in season. or the dried ones others have mentioned!

icequeen2, Dec 18, 4:19am
Countdown now sells dried cherries in the baking needs isle, along with the other dried fruit.

gaspodetwd, Dec 18, 4:52am
Flour is often used in the manufacturing process as a freeflow agent. Common in sugar. Can be found in lots of other places. So every time you see the 'sugar' word it can indicate gluten. And flavour. And syrup.

I wanted to make a Christmas fruit loaf - gluten free for my daughter. It's so much nicer with cherries in. And much more special. Still hunting. Going looking for dried cherries tomorrow.