Tasti Glace Cherries - they're ripping us off!!

aperfect, Nov 30, 5:34am
....when did they start putting artificial lolly-type 'cherries' in the Glace Cherries!? I've been buying them for years, and my package contained over half artificial rubbish this year, hardly any real cherries, and the labe claims "our original recipe" ?!
What!?

timetable, Nov 30, 5:48am
buy from bin inn... they are the real deal and rather yummy!!!!

nfh1, Nov 30, 5:50am
I bought some as well for my Christmas Cake, I threw them away, they did not look anything like cherries when I opened the pack.

aperfect, Nov 30, 5:54am
I actually wrote a complaint. It's misrepresentation

gardie, Nov 30, 4:48pm
Good on you aperfect.I know that they did once used to use something that they coloured red (and green) that went into their mixed fruit (i worked there in school holidays about 35 years ago) but I was under the impression that their cherries were real.

Definately use Bin Inn ones - just make sure you don't scoop in too much juice.They are much cheaper too.

malcovy, Nov 30, 6:21pm
Homebrand ones are even better than the ones from Bin Inn.

nzhel, Nov 30, 9:34pm
Oh gosh surely one of our well known brands hasn't slipped and is trying to do the dirty on us? I bought two packets last week one each of red and green cherries. Have just looked on the back and the first item listed in the ingredients is 'cherries' 52%. The cherries in both my packets look to be the same as normal so have my fingers crossed. I certainly won't ever buy them again if they have replaced them with nasty jelly cherries!

trah, Nov 30, 9:47pm
I bought some recently and they were real cherries.Though they do use those horrid jelly cherries in their mixed cake fruit, and I have to pick them all out!

malcovy, Nov 30, 9:53pm
I had better add that the last time I bought HB cherries was xmas 2009.They were made in Italy and had a really good flavour and a nice 'meatiness' about them.

smileeah, Nov 30, 9:58pm
Well, I learn something new everyday on here. I had no idea the packets of cherries you are talking about are real cherries. I just always assumed they were those nasty fake cherries. lol
It is very good I have learnt this because I am wanting to get some cherries to use in the bounty bar mixture to make cherry ripe bars/balls but I wasn't sure what to get, now I know to trot off to Bin Inn and get some. (or I might try Homebrand) Yay! Thanks.

juliewn, Dec 1, 12:23pm
I used the Homebrand cherries in my Christmas cakes this year - some a little smaller than the Tasti ones used to be.. they've decorated the cakes, with almonds, beautifully.

They're better value too.. almost twice the size of the Tasti packet.. and the price is less than those smaller Tasti packet's.

I bought some recently and they were real cherries. Though they do use those horrid jelly cherries in their mixed cake fruit, and I have to pick them all out!
Quote trah (34 )10:47 am, Wed 1 Dec #8

Hi Trah..

To save having to pick out the cherries, you could use a mix of currants, raisins and sultanas - I use about a third of each.. so roughly 330gms of each to give close to a kg of fruit.

You could also use, say.. 300gms of each, then for the remaining 100gms (to give you a kilo of your own choices of mixed dried fruits), usesome of the cherries you like, and/or mixed peel, or crystallised ginger - or other dried fruits - apricots, craisins, peaches, pears, etc..

Anyway you vary the choice of fruits will be fine.. it's the end weight of dried fruit that's in a recipe that matters, not which particular dried fruits are used.. enjoy.. :-)

malcovy, Sep 22, 11:52am
I checked the HB ones and they are 80% cherry and made from Australia and imported cherries. The packet size is 200 grams and approx $3.50 (can't quite remember but under $4).I use many HB products except coffee and most are great.