Brianmac - your muffins....

Page 3 / 4
maynard9, Jan 21, 7:41am
Thanks 245am for posting the recipe.I didn't have the time at the time of original posting and have just come back on in case anyone is looking for it.That's what I love about this forum - helpful people. Only 2 muffins left. Hiding for his lunch tomorrow.

sumstyle, Jan 21, 8:38am
ha - after reading the recipe I had to make a late night (for me) foray to the supermarket to get the ingredients and I'm only just back.hmmm, shall I start baking now.why not.

245sam, Jan 21, 8:57am
exactly, and why not sumstyle!
I've always loved dates but only recently tried the very yummy combo of orange and date so I must try Pam's recipe too but first tho'.supper's at sumstyle's tonight! and we're both in Christchurch too but the wind probably isn't blowing the right way for me to be able to locate the very tempting baking smells that will be coming from sumstyle's kitchen.Hope you enjoy the muffins sumstyle.:-))

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:24am
Thanks they're in the oven now so I'm opening the window so that All of Spreydon can smell em!

245sam, Jan 21, 9:54am
It's such a nice mild night here in Halswell, Christchurch so with the windows still wide open we'll keep our noses to the wind and think of you and your late night treat sumstyle.Enjoy!:-))

alebix, Jan 21, 11:01am
May I ask a silly question, but with the whole orange, its not peeled or anything, just chopped up and chucked in the processor!

245sam, Jan 21, 11:06am
alebix, I haven't yet tried making those muffins but that's how I read the recipei.e."its not peeled or anything, just chopped up and chucked in the processor" - just the same as the whole orange is used in the same way for the Magical Orange Cake.:-))

doug57, Jan 21, 7:44pm
orange and date scones are yum TOO!.I made some last year for the kids and they must have inhaled them!.One minute they were cooling on the bench, next time I looked they were crumbs!

245sam, Jan 21, 8:31pm
for you chrisynz,
http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=15&t=613

"Pam's Pumpkin Loaves
3 cups sugar;1 cup sunflower oil;4 eggs,lightly beaten;500g cooked,mashed pumpkin;3 1/2 cups plain flour;2tsp baking soda;1 tsp salt;1 tsp baking powder;1 tsp (not level) of nutmeg,allspice,cinnamon and ground cloves;2/3 cup of water. Cream sugar and oil, add eggs,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternatively with water. Grease & flour TWO med loaf tins.Fill tins and bake at 170c for 1 1/2 hours. Test with skewer. Stand to cool 10 mins before turning out. Serve sliced with or without butter. Freeze and keep beautifully. posted by cookessentials"

for those who don't already know cookessentials is aka brianmac/Pam.:-))

245sam, Jan 21, 8:37pm
for you griffo4,

"Date Scone Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/3 cup butter, softened 1/2 cup buttermilk 1 large egg 1/2 cup chopped and pitted dates 1 teaspoon grated orange peel Icing: 4 tablespoons granulated sugar 2 tablespoons orange juice 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a baking sheet. 2. In a medium bowl blend together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. Add chopped butter and using a pastry blender or two knives scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. 3. Add chopped dates and orange peel in the flour/butter mixture. Make sure you separate and blend dates well, as they have a tendency 'to stick together'. 4. In a small bowl mix the buttermilk and egg together, add to the flour/butter/date mixture. 5. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Add flour as you knead the dough, if necessary. Knead 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth. 6. Use preferred method: 1) SCONE :Shape into an 8-inch dome. Using a serrated knife , score the dough into 8 wedges ( do not cut all the way through the dough). 7. 2) BISCUITS: Shape into a circle maintaining a thickness of about 1/2-inch. Cut into dough with a biscuit cutter, cut dough into 2-inch circles, reworking the scrapings as you go. 8. Place scones/biscuits on cookie sheet; bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they reach a golden brown color. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and drizzle with icing while still warm. 9. Icing: In a small bowl mix sugar with orange juice. Mix until sugar has dissolved. Brush over scones using a pastry brush. posted by lilangel19"

For lots more scone recipes (various flavours/types) have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=15&t=616

spot20, Jan 21, 8:46pm
I want to start making muffins for husbands lunches but get put off by gettin them out of the tins etc - some tips please from the experts - mine always stick!

245sam, Jan 21, 8:56pm
spot20, I do not claim to be an "expert" but do you have non-stick muffin pans and do you lightly grease them even tho' they're non-stick!
It can help too, to leave the muffins to sit, in the tins, for 5 minutes or so - that allows them to firm-up a little making it easier to give them a gentle twist and so release them from the pan; however if the muffins are the type where a syrup (e.g. lemon juice and sugar) is poured over the cooked muffins do NOT allow them to get too cool in the tins as they will then definitely stick because of the sugar.

Hope that helps.:-))

sumstyle, Jan 21, 8:57pm
I make mine in silicone tins and have no problems getting my usual cheese muffin batch out.

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:01pm
But having said that, last night's attempt of the orange and date ones *did* stick.I put it down to being in a new house and not getting the hang of a temperamental oven yet!

elliehen, Jan 21, 9:27pm
I endorse valentino's suggestion.Those crinkled paper cups are not expensive, lots in a packet, and it means your muffin is ready-wrapped for a pick-up-and-go lunch.

245sam, Jan 21, 9:30pm
Although I haven't done this myself, I do know that as an alternative to the purchased muffin baking paper cups, squares of baking paper can also be used - personally I prefer to just lightly grease the tins and by doing that I very very rarely ever have any 'sticking' problems with muffins.:-))

greerg, Jan 21, 9:53pm
I used to make muffins by the score for lunches and competitive swimmers -hardly ever make them now although Pam's date and orange are still an occasional treat (as are the lemon cake and pumpkin loaves).I find that spraying the tins with a non-stick spray is more reliable than rubbing with oil or butter. The paper cases aren't so good on muffins from the freezer, or so the kids used to say.

valentino, Jan 21, 10:13pm
I personally have not used those paper cups yet (have seen them though) but was thinking like similar lines with baking paper as in general baking where one greases and-or flour them.

The use of Baking paper makes things in general baking a lot easier to remove from tins.

Another thought also, recently with Masterchef Australia, one of the entrants-cooks gave an example of putting a batter into such mould-tins, not to let the batter touch the sides when filling moulds, (trying to remember what he was doing re type of recipe), of course eventually it will touch the sides but would depend how much one puts into them.

Just floating extra thoughts.

Myself, usually a good fine oil spray and sometines a very fine light dusting with flour, and on the real sticky ones, put in circular greased paper bases the size of the bottom of the muffin moulds.

Cheers.

Cheers.

nzhel, Jan 22, 12:31am
Thanks so much 245sam
for posting the recipe and the link.
I have just been scolling thru all the muffin recipes posted and I'm sure I have put on weight just by reading all the delicious choices!

spot20, Jan 22, 5:23am
Thanks heaps guys - I think I am ready to try anew! New tins would be a good start - any suggestions as to quality etc!

sumstyle, Jan 22, 5:41am
Actually, I use an old crappy muffin tin that at one time claimed to be non-stick but never was, and then I plop my individual silicone muffin things into each hole.Works a treat, muffins always brown up on the outsides.

Forgive me Pam/Brianmac/cookessentials - I know you abhore silicone!

davidt4, Jan 22, 7:40am
Silicone moulds give you steamed muffins. not nice.

sumstyle, Jan 22, 7:50am
Of course I was teasing, I was impressed that you were prepared to hunt out mini loaf pans in silicone for me before Christmas, cookessentials.

I know what you mean by steamed muffins, davidt4, but I don't mind the sides of the muffins being soft given that the tops are crunchy - still tastes the same.

I don't find my muffins pale and pasty, they still brown up nicely on the sides.

snapit, Jan 22, 9:37pm
I was reluctant to try the silicone muffin pans but found some on special so thought I could afford if they didn't work, was pleasantly surprised and have since purchased indivudual ones in different sizes. Still use my metal ones and use all as I usually have a baking blitz . I also use them for making other things such as quiches savoury and dessert baking ,sticky daty being a favourite. That way I don't get tempted as I wrap and freeze and just take out enough for Mr.
I use the crinkle muffin cases at times and at other times I take the trays outside and spray with a cooking spray, taking it outside to spray alows the excess spray to drift away and reduce the amount that may be inhaled or settle on kitchen surfaces.
The muffins that I find worst for sticking are usually the bran type and ones that don't have much butter or oil in but letting them stand also helps, no major problems.
I use the Allyson Gofton recipe for the orange and date muffins and they are lovely, one day I will get around to trying these ones to see if they differ much.

ps have just looked at both recipes and they are different in the quantities of the various ingreds so will have a baking trial next baking day .

timturtle, Feb 20, 7:07pm
Hi Snapit can you please post your sticky daty recipe ! is it a pudd one made as muffin or as individual puds in a muffin tin ! I like any sticky date goodies, lol TIA